Hurricane Lamp As Windcover?

sjcrain

Is there a way to be able to pick it up though? Some sort of handle? This is the kind of thing I think of when you say hurricane lamp... and it doesn't seem like there's a good way to be able to pick it up without touching the glass...[img]http://www.mymirrors.co.uk/images/large-shaped-hurricane-lamp.jpg[/img]

I smoke at home, alone, so I don't mind keeping an oven mitt handy. One of those nice, silicone ones with an articulated thumb should work.
[quote name='jorlyfish' timestamp='1304968270' post='508821']
Is there a way to be able to pick it up though? Some sort of handle? This is the kind of thing I think of when you say hurricane lamp... and it doesn't seem like there's a good way to be able to pick it up without touching the glass...[img]http://www.mymirrors.co.uk/images/large-shaped-hurricane-lamp.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Realize that those aren't made to withstand a ton of heat, and coals are going to put out more heat than a single candle obviously. Most (at least the ones ive seen) are made from pretty thin glass. That thing is going to become so brittle after you've used it that picking it up without breaking it will prove challenging. That being said, Go for it, you'll never know until you try.

Get one that is for an oil lamp. My oil lamp can be used to heat a small room so you know that glass is hot. My lamp is also about 80 years old and I have never replaced the glass.I have owned it for 30ish years.
Ray

• 2 weeks later...
Just picked up one with a wheat patern engraved on it that I think is similar to a base I have. The glass seems thin but ill give it a try next time I smoke outside and report back.