Osama Bin Laden Is Dead

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1304351820' post='507875']
[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1304313290' post='507805']
People seem to forget that it was George W. Bush that spearheaded this movement. Was he in office when Osama was taken down? No. But he put in motion the necessary measurements that lead to this moment. Don't be foolish and think for a second that we would have Osama right now if it wasn't for the effort Bush put in -- like him or hate him, he still did amazing things for this country.
[/quote]

well, if thats the way it works then Obama isnt responsible for the economy left for him by Bush, or the bail outs started by bush, or Social Security problems, or health care problems, or well..a lot of stuff that Obama seems to get the blame for. I'm willing to go along wiht this Tyler as long as you go along with the rest. :)
[/quote]

all that (excluding the bailouts) was left to W from Clinton. Edited by Evilsquirrel

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1304351995' post='507876']
keep it civil or I'll start removing people, again. If you can't say something constructive keep your damn mouths shut. We clear?
[/quote]

Yeah. People start talking politics and it gets crazy.

[quote name='Evilsquirrel' timestamp='1304352337' post='507877']
People seem to forget that it was George W. Bush that spearheaded this movement. Was he in office when Osama was taken down? No. But he put in motion the necessary measurements that lead to this moment. Don't be foolish and think for a second that we would have Osama right now if it wasn't for the effort Bush put in -- like him or hate him, he still did amazing things for this country.
[/quote]

well, if thats the way it works then Obama isnt responsible for the economy left for him by Bush, or the bail outs started by bush, or Social Security problems, or health care problems, or well..a lot of stuff that Obama seems to get the blame for. I'm willing to go along wiht this Tyler as long as you go along with the rest. :)
[/quote]

all that (excluding the bailouts) was left to W from Clinton.
[/quote]

And clinton got em from Bush Sr. and so on and so on. :)

Nothing has changed and mainstream politics is only interested in maintaining their own power.

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1304359631' post='507889']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nothing has changed and mainstream politics is only interested in maintaining their own power.
[/quote]

Then why is it ok to blame everything on him, like many in this thread have already done? And i am not a Bush supporter or defender. I loath everyone equally... except evan... i want to have his babies.

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1304308388' post='507794']
Also, he had a plan for in case he died. I'm sure that plan will now be carried out. I see this as the beginning of horrible things to come. I hope to god I'm wrong...

Tapatalk'd via iPhone
[/quote]

This was my first thought as well but the more i thought about it the more i doubted it. The dude hated us in the purest sense of the word. If he had a major plan that was possible to execute, he would have pulled the trigger when he was alive and could see it all go down. I was thinking "oh shit, now all his followers are going to follow his emergency plan" or whatever, but as terrible and twisted of a person as he was, he wasn't a stupid man. He has a chain of command just like we do and his second hand man is going to step in and keep working towards their fucked up goal. Let's just hope they don't get there.

That's just my 2 cents

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1304308388' post='507794']
Yeah, it's awesome and everything, but what will it really change? I see this giving the American people a sense of accomplishment, but in reality some goon is just going to take his place. Also, he had a plan for in case he died. I'm sure that plan will now be carried out. I see this as the beginning of horrible things to come. I hope to god I'm wrong...
[/quote]
Im afraid that there is some truth

i think its interesting where they found him, in Pakistan outside of some mansion..is at least what the new said.. Must have been some really good intel to track him all the way there.

[quote name='noodle' timestamp='1304317830' post='507820']
Barak Obama doesn't deserve much praise other than that he let the military do their jobs. The real heroes are the ones who personally stalked Bin Ladin and pulled the trigger. They put their lives on the line and probably won't ever get the personal attention they deserve for killing one of the most evil men of our time.
[/quote]

You seem to be forgetting that the troops had to have the presidential order to do it. This same opportunity was presented to both Clinton and Bush Jr., and they failed to "pull the trigger."

And this is why I give Obama huge props- he told us when he was elected into office that he was going to dedicate his effort to finding bin Laden. He did it. Finally, for as long as I can remember, a president actually makes good on his promise to us.

[quote name='king_lunchb0x' timestamp='1304367431' post='507923']
i think its interesting where they found him, in Pakistan outside of some mansion..is at least what the new said.. Must have been some really good intel to track him all the way there.
[/quote]

And he was about two miles away from a Pakistani army base!

The Pakistani's have known where he was, something changed to make it not worth them protecting him.

So now we are going to have a HIGHER threat level with people thinking about the "plan" if he is killed, instead of the lower threat level because the Government no longer has this particular Boogie Man to wave in our faces? There go a few more of our basic civil rights in the name of "security."

Again, it's a relief, as powerful as he was in the past or not, to have him eliminated. However, there are two sides to this coin...

What message did we send with finding and killing Bin Laden? That we will retaliate when need be against their forces? Or that when they instigate, we are going to give them a 10 year window of preparation before our main goal is achieved?

I'm with Chris and a couple others on this particular sub-topic of Bin Laden's death. It's been 10 years since he gave the order to terrorize us in Washington and NY, who knows who's in BL's shoes now...

[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1304381184' post='507970']
Again, it's a relief, as powerful as he was in the past or not, to have him eliminated. However, there are two sides to this coin...

What message did we send with finding and killing Bin Laden? That we will retaliate when need be against their forces? Or that when they instigate, we are going to give them a 10 year window of preparation before our main goal is achieved?

I'm with Chris and a couple others on this particular sub-topic of Bin Laden's death. It's been 10 years since he gave the order to terrorize us in Washington and NY, who knows who's in BL's shoes now...
[/quote]

I think the message is in the "ear" of the beholder. The receiver is the one who decides the message. Some that were considering on joining the terrorists, may well decide looking over your shoulder for the next decade would put a severe crimp in your hopes for a long and happy life. Those who sided with Bin Laden but not necessarily the direction of his organization of late, will likely fade away. Those already learning towards violence will use this as an excuse to jump into it completely. In the end, it can't be about the message we give, it's got to be back to whether or not it is the right thing to do. And I don't think anyone can doubt that it was.

'Rani

[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1304359631' post='507889']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nothing has changed and [b][color="#4b0082"]mainstream politics is only interested in maintaining their own power.[/color][/b]
[/quote]

A truer statement was never made.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1304306325' post='507791']
And Barack Obama just won the 2012 election. Love him, hate him, or just wish he'd do some things better, the value of this will boost him politically all the way through the election. It removes one of those pessimistic swords that almost everyone has felt hanging over our heads since 9/11. It's an enormous blow to terrorism overall because it shows that we don't give up. It may take us a decade to find your ass but attack us and we will never stop until you're as dead as our citizens. I don't think it's a good thing to celebrate the death of anyone, even our worst most dangerous enemy, but I don't think anyone can remotely deny we don't all feel safer that he's gone.

I will say this though to our military, especially those Special Forces who accomplished this.... Good job guys. Very, very good job!

'Rani
[/quote]
Knew where he was for a while, striking now was just a lame attempt to take the news coverage from the fact petrol broke 4 bones on the national average. Americans historically vote their pocket book in the end, more so when the economy is down. $4.00/gal next summer,or unemployment over 7.5% and I would bet he won't get elected dog catcher. It (economic probs of inflation, and energy costs) will rightfully be blamed on PEBO. He could hose half the terrorists on the sunrise side of E32deg, and it won't make any difference. Getting the devil was a good move, but he's also been kissing Pakistan's ass while they were protecting OBL actively, and even sending Paki units to fight against US soldiers.

Intel came from GIMO enhanced interrogation-or at least that is the early reporting. Wait, didn't PEBO promise the libs he would close that in his first year? Good thing that didn't happen, eh?

There is no doubt that the intel and command structure put in place after 9/11 was a primary reason this op didn't end like the jimmy carter rescue. To that end PEBO has a right to be proud of his people. The system worked, and he utilized it properly... Just as George Bush had designed it to. As far as safer goes, I really don't think greasing OBL made a bit of difference. Terrorism, by it's very nature, does not operate with a centralized command structure. Killing OBL is a bit like lopping an arm off a zombie. It stagers around for a few moments, then goes right back to trying to eat your brains.

In any case, good to see the sucker dead-I want a pix for the 1000 yd range.

Wonder what kind of virgins they get in hell?

We delayed our flight, to come back, an hour so we could read the reports. I am so happy about this. Though when I got home we had a damn media circus outside of base.

http://www.nswfoundation.org/fallenheroes.htm

Colin, Adam, Tommy V, John, Josh, Nathan, Mike, Luis. This men all gave their life looking for that ASSHOLE. The quote "All gave some, Some gave all" always remains in my mind. These specific men deaths were aveneged by their own team mates. They were looking down on our SEALS as we handed that fuck tard his ass. I truly miss these men everyday. Their families rest a bit better now knowing that Usama Bin Laden no longer cause the pain to other families like theirs. Please say a prayer tonight for those that gave so much for our country.

Part of me cant believe that they actually shot him.... We have so much non lethal weaponry, why didn't they use that? We monitored this house for months and knew there was someone important in there...we should have tear gassed it and used bean bag rounds, then not only would we have the digital information they took from the house, we would have Osama + his best friends to "interrogate"

[quote name='K1024' timestamp='1304471160' post='508173']
Part of me cant believe that they actually shot him.... We have so much non lethal weaponry, why didn't they use that? We monitored this house for months and knew there was someone important in there...we should have tear gassed it and used bean bag rounds, then not only would we have the digital information they took from the house, we would have Osama + his best friends to "interrogate"
[/quote]

The fact that he was shooting live ammo at them would have been my deciding thought. Shoot at one of the most highly trained military in existence and expect your life expectancy to drop to ummm, 3 seconds.

'Rani

Yeah... I'm sure if they could have taken him alive, they would've. But, then again, think of the whole hassle that was avoided by killing him instead. He wouldn't have said anything anyway.

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1304477769' post='508181']
Yeah... I'm sure if they could have taken him alive, they would've. But, then again, think of the whole hassle that was avoided by killing him instead. He wouldn't have said anything anyway.
[/quote]

And don't forget the lunatic fringe that would have done ANYTHING to try and force his release. I keep marveling over the guy who took the shot. I mean, I grew up shooting and i'm pretty good, but a double tap through the eye socket while being fired upon during a raid, under the worse possible conditions? I know we'll never know the name of the SEAL who pulled the trigger, but if by some miracle he ever reads this post. Holy shit, you're good.

'Rani

my dad explained all of this to me, as NPR did a huge segment on this and he is a long time listener

apparently there was a 45 second firefight and the SEALS properly ventilated everyone there. i wouldn't imagine bin laden wanted taken in alive anyways, knowing what would have been the inevitable anyways

[quote name='IainUM' timestamp='1304485162' post='508189']
my dad explained all of this to me, as NPR did a huge segment on this and he is a long time listener

apparently there was a 45 second firefight and the SEALS properly ventilated everyone there. i wouldn't imagine bin laden wanted taken in alive anyways, knowing what would have been the inevitable anyways
[/quote]

listening to some NPR stuff about it now.

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1304477168' post='508180']
[quote name='K1024' timestamp='1304471160' post='508173']
[/quote]

The fact that he was shooting live ammo at them would have been my deciding thought. Shoot at one of the most highly trained military in existence and expect your life expectancy to drop to ummm, 3 seconds.

'Rani
[/quote]

Some accounts... namely from the White House itself, have him unarmed at the time he got terminal lead poisoning. I really have a hard time sanctioning the outright murder of anyone, be they an extreme asshole, or not. There is a fine line between murder, and warfare sometimes, but any time a military unit is authorized to gun down any unarmed person it's a problem.

Capitol punishment without a trial, lovely. That must be the American justice system the bumster was giving speeches about holding up for the world to admire.

I am willing to bet the original intent was to snatch him out of there, but one of the aircraft took fire, and was not able to get out. At that point, a covert snatch and run was impossible, plan B was to grease to bastard, and get the hell out of dodge. One has to wonder at what point he got a 62 grain lobotomy.

In either case, part of me is damn glad he is crab-food, the other part keeps asking just how this makes the world any safer, I guess only time will tell.