Am I Burning The Shisha?

Hello! I am relatively new to smoking a hookah, but I believe I know the basics. I'm not sure exactly what type I have I purchased it at Earthbound, however it has a standard bowl. It's a little larger than a mini hookah but smaller than a regular hookah. I have tried two different shishas with it, Romman Double Apple & Romman Grape. Both times I didn't get much flavor if any out of them. I know it's not the brand because I have tried Romman Melon & Berry at someone elses house and the flavor was great! I pack the bowl how it's supposed to be and place the foil over and poke some holes in it so that some are under the coal and some are exposed to air. I use quicklight coals and one of these take up almost the entire bowl if placed in the middle. It also seems to be difficult to take larger hits on this smaller hookah. I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong and would appreciate any feedback I could get.

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1304050046' post='507316']
So are you getting too much heat? Or not enough?
[/quote]

I think I might be getting too much and that is overpowering any taste that I'd receive

I don't know about too much ventilation but if you put too many large holes then it will almost be like your coal is directly on top of your shisha and you do not want to do that. How are you packing your bowl ?

Earthbound sells Inhale brand hookahs and I cannot tell you how much they suck. I have several friends that have them because one of my friends worked there. He got them all to buy one. Now they all sit in their closets collecting dust because they never got a good smoke out of them. So, it may be the hookah... But if the hookah is working decently, then it may be your packing or heat management. Start out reading this thread, should help you out:

http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/40373-beginners-guide-to-hookah/

You might want check the hookah for air leaks. Often times if you are just not getting flavor, and no burn, there is often an air leak somewhere in the hookah. Even a tiny leak can introduce enough air to deaden the flavor, yet still give you a decent amount of smoke.

[quote name='EvansLight' timestamp='1304067122' post='507359']
You might want check the hookah for air leaks. Often times if you are just not getting flavor, and no burn, there is often an air leak somewhere in the hookah. Even a tiny leak can introduce enough air to deaden the flavor, yet still give you a decent amount of smoke.
[/quote]

Oh, his hookah is most definitely leaking air. My Inhale did after just one time of smoking it. Fortunately the eBay seller was cool and let me return it. I then got a Mya QT. All my friends' leak too, hence why they don't use them...

Romman should generally get plenty of flavor... Try these steps.

Pack the bowl fully, with the tobacco broken up and fluffy. Full bowl!
Poke plenty of holes in the foil screen.
Put your coals on the sides of the bowl. (try breaking your quick lights into pieces if they're too large for your bowl)

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1304087033' post='507404']

Pack the bowl fully, with the tobacco broken up and fluffy. [b]Full bowl![/b]
Put your coals on the sides of the bowl. (try breaking your quick lights into pieces if they're too large for your bowl)
[/quote]

by full bowl he means a little over the top of the bowl. dont pack it down, like he said fluffy and over the top by a little. then the foil will pack it down for you.

[quote name='Zildjian' timestamp='1304087344' post='507408']

[/quote]

by full bowl he means a little over the top of the bowl. dont pack it down, like he said fluffy and over the top by a little. then the foil will pack it down for you.
[/quote]

Yes. Thanks for clarifying!

[quote name='Zildjian' timestamp='1304087344' post='507408']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[img]http://www.upfile4u.net/Files/2z2u9g.JPG[/img]

[quote name='Zildjian' timestamp='1304088083' post='507413']
yup, just like that. btw thats some juiiiiiiicy tobacco!
[/quote]

u know me , i like juice stuff [img]http://www.hookahforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/perfect10.gif[/img]

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1304082765' post='507397']
[quote name='EvansLight' timestamp='1304067122' post='507359']
[/quote]

Oh, his hookah is most definitely leaking air. My Inhale did after just one time of smoking it. Fortunately the eBay seller was cool and let me return it. I then got a Mya QT. All my friends' leak too, hence why they don't use them...
[/quote]

Then there is his problem right there. Even a bit of a leak and flavor goes out the window. Doesn't matter how well you pack the bowl, the kind of tobacco, or your heat management. You got an air leak, you got a lot less flavor.

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1304052068' post='507328']
depends on how big your bowl is. Just poke enough so the shisha can get the proper airflow. Don't be afraid to poke a lot of holes.
[/quote]

Also, when you poke, don't be afraid to poke deep through the shisha as it will really add to airflow and give you a nice smoke and easy draw.