How 'bout Some More Hookah Health Debate!

***THIS IS NOT MY ARTICLE AND CLAIM NO OWNERSHIP OR INVOLVEMENT IN WRITING IT***

[url="http://knol.google.com/k/hookah-smoking-from-a-biomedical-and-anthropological-perspective#"]http://knol.google.com/k/hookah-smoking-from-a-biomedical-and-anthropological-perspective#[/url]

This is a very interesting and hard read about the arguments on the health effects (if any) of hookah on the human body. I found it very interesting especially the revised history of hookah! I'm glad that this gentleman isn't backing down to these corrupt anti-smoking "experts" who are dominating and polluting our culture with their anti-hookah propaganda...

What do you guys think? Also I have a headache after reading... :P

Interesting, very good article. Well-documented and objective.
A lot of people i know that aren't hookah smokers just refuse to make a distinction between smoking cigarettes and smoking hookah. Their brains are stuck (in many ways)... they have tried it... and I have explained the difference in 'cooking/roasting' versus 'burning'.... comparing it to the difference of cooking food and burning food... but it seems the only thing they will believe is what 'officials' say... which is mostly,if not totally, based on the agenda of lobbyists.. Somehow i doubt they will even read this article if i sent it to them... they seem to only go by what is pushed on mainstream media... no matter how broken the logic is.

Smoking bad, air good. That's about all there is to say about it really it's just people like to blow things out of proportion because god forbid we have something enjoyable that is only a "little" bad for you.

[quote name='littlec' timestamp='1303275320' post='506156']
[b]Smoking bad, air good[/b]. That's about all there is to say about it really it's just people like to blow things out of proportion because god forbid we have something enjoyable that is only a "little" bad for you.
[/quote]

that sums it up! Gov is good at blowing things out of proportion and then slapping crazy laws on them.

[size="2"]The best part of this whole article... Minus the whole Dihydrogen monoxide error...
[size="2"][/size]

As previouly said, hookah smoking had not posed any particular medical problem for centuries. However, it may today introduce new concerns because some of its inner anthropological characteristics, early documented but unfortunately censored, have been actually changing over the last two decades. For example, the nature of the smoked products changed or switched, as earlier said in the introduction: from raw plain tobacco of the tumbâk or jurâk types, both used within relatively standardised socio-cultural frameworks, towards tobamel/moassel. Amazingly, the latter produces a non-irritating smoke, much milder than that of a cigarette. This is, in part, because most of the irritants are watered down. [/size][size="2"]Anyway, what is is noteworthy is that hookah users can inhale such a smoke directly into their lungs and, quite visibly, in great volumes. This has led to the following scientific misconduct on behalf of health scares experts: equating the toxicity of such smoke with that of cigarettes. Obviously and fortunately, both smokes are completely different from all viewpoints(see, for instance, the above discussion about glycerol and DHMO).[/size]
  • Upvote 1

I showed this article to someone the other day, who suddenly decided that hookah smoking is extremely bad for you (think this came from the flawed WHO report and sensationalistic media reports). When she read the article, she called it "putrid pipe smoking vomit". Alrighty, dunno if we will be friends for much longer if that's the attitude.

Oh well, I enjoy it, I know it isn't really good for you.

B

Honestly it reads like someone just wanting to see how many overly large words they can fit into a paper. Its mainly common knowledge and a bit of bias on the side of hookah smoking. The problem with all these types of articles is they are always biased in one direction, its either a hookah smoker defending his habit, or a researcher funded by someone trying to prove hookah is bad for you. The rest of the world, those who would be truly unbiased could give a crap and aren't going to take the time to actually sit down and really try and figure this out. I would love one day, a truly unbiased, scientifically accurate article about hookah smoking to appear, but I doubt I will see one anytime soon.

littlec did say it best, its still not air, its not good for you. But for all I have learned, studied, and taken in over the years I have to say hookah is far healthier then lighting up even one cigarette. So stop looking for that article to clear the air, and justify it, just light up a bowl, and enjoy. (at least while its still legal :P)