Shiazo Steam Stones

I got these from Germany in the mail yesterday. Three flavors: Mint, Raspberry, and Caribbean Dream. I tried the Caribbean Dream today. Just sprinkled the rocks in until it was as flush as possible with the rim of the bowl (I used my Tangiers mini phunnel). Poking holes was a bitch, and I later talked to Pat about this and he suggested pre-poking the holes, so that's what I'll do next time. Used three Coconara cubes, as I heard this stuff needed quite a bit of heat. Starting out, smoke was wispy, but got full, tropical, fruity flavor immediately. Added windcover. In a minute or so, I had thunder clouds. It was amazing. Smoked it for two rounds of Coconaras, three cubes each round, adding/removing windcover. It never once got harsh. All it would do is lose flavor, but once I removed the windcover the flavor came back. This stuff really impressed me, I must say. I could honestly say this is an excellent alternative to traditional hookah tobacco. Now don't get me wrong; I still love my Tangiers and it still reigns supreme. But this stuff could come in handy if the government decides to not let us smoke tobacco anymore out of our hookahs. The only problem is price, from talking to Pat. He said it's like $20 per tin. Pretty high. But anyway, it could very well be a valuable asset to the hookah community in the future. Especially for those places where indoor smoking bans are in place. I can't wait to try the Mint and Raspberry. Despite having to use more coal, these "steam stones" are pretty badass. I hope they bring 'em to the US, but at a lower price.

[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p40/INCUBUSRATM/Hookah/IMG_0347.jpg[/IMG]

I have no clue what they're made of or how they're made. What I do know is that they are awesome. RJ, Katie, and a couple others can attest to the clouds I was getting in TC earlier.

What is the consistency of these rocks? I'll try them. I'm not too concerned with what's in them if they taste good and are fun to smoke. I mean... your still alive right? (Respond just so I know).

[quote name='noodle' timestamp='1301882468' post='504064']
So if I soak jagged bits of fired ceramic in molasses and fruit pulp, I can smoke it? Interesting concept.
[/quote]

In trest ting!!

From what I've gathered reading about them, they're extremely porous stones soaked in regular shisha flavorings and glycerine. The coals heat the glycerine like normal which gives you flavor and clouds. The company suggests that you use their electric coals so that you're not using any form of actual "harmful smoking additive."

[quote name='r1v3th3ad' timestamp='1301887801' post='504079']
no nicotine at all, they are pretty awesome...if someone would pack a bowl of these and had me smoke, I would have thought they were shisha
[/quote]

I feel the exact same way, Pat.

Yeah, they're just rocks. They turn white when they're used up.

Very interesting, i guess they ship from germany so i think ill order and try some, will update with a review. I enjoy the buzz from regular tobacco based shisha, but, smoking stones sounds so surreal i just have to try.

Their website -

http://www.shiazo.eu/

BTW, i find this relevant which is kinda sad -

[img]http://fusible.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/cat-food.jpg[/img]

At first, I was a bit doubtful about them too. I tried the apple, and it smelled very VERY sour and strong and just plain awful. So I packed a bowl with it and lit it up. To my surprise and contrary to what I've read, the results were quite good. A nice and full taste, very smooth and lots, LOTS of smoke.

Seeing how they are 7 euro over here (compared to 4 euro for 50 grams of shisha), I'm going to buy more flavours. Even though $20 is a helluva lot more expensive than €7, it's still not THAT much as you can actually reuse the stones many times . After you finish smoking them, cool them off and put them back in the tin. Shake it up a bit, and the glycerin and 'shisha juice' (that sounded kinda wrong, didn't it?) will cover the stones again. So in my situation, those stones are actually cheaper than tobacco.

This summer there will be a general smoking prohibition for all cafes, restaurants and hotels in Belgium. That includes all the hookahbars, and in Antwerp there is a very big Arab community and a lot of hookahbars too. If they all have to close down, a lot of people will lose their business. These stones are going to be the next thing I think, though it's going to be hard to convince the 'older' smoking generation that grew up and learned to smoke actual shisha. Over here in Leuven though, one of the two hookahbars already use shiazo stones.

And THIS is what I'm talking about. The fact that you can make as many upside-down bowls and electronic hookahs as you want, but when it comes down to it, people want a new product that simply smokes. This is one of them.

Hell, if these bans keep occurin on smoking shisha, and I have to put rocks in my phunnel, more power to stream stones!

I'm hoping to get ahold of some, and see if the hype is true to it's name.
  • Upvote 1

From what it looks like, I'm thinking around 5 bowls (for my Tangiers mini phunnel). But I'll give a more accurate number once I finish off a tub. I'll make tally marks on the lid everytime I smoke a bowl so I don't forget.