How Did You Get Your Username?

Soup

well, my last name is neff, and in elementary school there was 7 other matt's in my class, so I started going by neff. and over time it's turned into neffey, or neffrey, or neffertitty, and now its neffertiti, and anything else you could slam neff onto.

was signing up for youtube, and on the section where they ask you to type in a code or some sorts, they asked me to type in modisess. i liked it, so i started signing up on forums with that as my username. no relations to my real name.

but people just call me jay for short.

My name comes from the music scene I come from...I'm a die-hard and I think the only rivethead for a penname...its been mine for nearly a decade with minor differences...the first name was Laga_beehive_rivethead . Laga = best goth club/band venue in Pittsburgh that ever was, closed for college apts. Beehive = Goth coffee shop, I hung there when it was one itty bitty room, they expanded two more buildings to make three big areas.

Anyway, I really enjoyed these from Urbandictionary.com for definitions, they are pretty close.

1. rivethead 278 up, 45 downA person who listens to industrial music. Characteristics/stereotypes of rivetheads include:

1) Anger at everything
2) That anger turning into a "More Rivet than Thou" attitude
3) A constant drive to find obscure industrial music
4) A great affection with Germany
5) A great affection with the millitary, without promoting or condoning war or violence (only violence to those lesser than you)
6) In depth knowledge of the entire history of the subculture
7) In depth knowledge of all types of industrial
8) Worship of the bands: Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, Coil, (and for the lesser rivet's) Nine Inch Nails
9) Interest in the government and what the government is up to
10) A dislike of glowsticks and ravers

Rivetheads tend to dress eaither in black, or in a millitary fashion. It is characteristic for a rivet to shave his/her head. It is also characteristic to wear goggles. The more 'industrial' in nature, the better. The industrial subculture has a vauge coherant thought, along the lines of "machines are powerful and should eaither be respected or feared." Ich bin ein Nietkopf. Ich liebe dein schnubart.

6. rivethead 62 up, 49 downA subtype or offshoot subculture of the goth or gothic subculture; also called Rivet. Rivethead has a more militaristic or post-apocolyptic aesthetic, and is more aggresive than Goth. Industrial music forms the meat and potatoes (MRI's and muddy water) of the rivethead's musical taste.

In as much as industrial music has always been integral to the gothic subculture however, and some of the founding musical influences which inspired the Rivethead subculture were bands who's members were merely goths dressing up militaristic for their stage performance, it is contentious in the gothic community as to whether Rivethead is actually anything other than a particularily aggressive style of Goth (with a majority of goths holding the opinion that it is not). Many people who identify with the Rivethead subculture are indistinguishable from goths, even to other goths, and to make matters worse most rivethead fashion models are goths.

Just like many goths, rivetheads find inspiration in cyberpunk and dystopian science fiction. However unless that whispy cloud partially obscuring the full moon is the smoke from a burning tank, a true rivethead sees nothing more than a giant nuisance in the sky possibly revealing his position to the enemy.

Gothic cathedrals are also beautiful after a warplane crashes through the back wall destroying as many religious artifacts as possible.

Just like gothic aesthetics, rivethead aesthetics integrate the sublime. In the case of rivethead however, the imagery is more related to the horror of global war, weapons of mass destruction, genocide, apocolypse, mass graves, totalitarianism and awe in respect of imagery such as vast armies of mechanized infantry, complex machines (especially factory equipment and construction vehicles), movements and dynamics of society and economies on a global scope and undefined time scale.

Generally speaking Rivethead is less influenced by feminine aesthetics of grace, romance and beauty than typical Goth, and are more influenced by the masculine asthetics of strength, fury and revolution. However... mileage may vary and the lines are very blury.

Rivetheads do not like black lights or glow-in-the-dark accessories any more than other goths do. For glow-in-the-dark see Cybergoth.

Both goths and rivetheads like the color black.
Goth: I love your boots they are so gawth!
Rivet: Actually I consider myself a rivethead.
Goth: oh? I thought you were goth. are you sure?
Rivet: I don't like to label myself but someone told me I'm "rivet", so I guess I'm "rivet".
Goth: Hey.. excuse me.. they're playing my favorite band 'Skinny Puppy', I gotta go dance!
Rivet: that's my favorite band!
goth rivet cyberpunk industrial cybergoth
by TheDarknessVisible Dec 20, 2006 share this 1 comment

7. rivethead 15 up, 1 downSomeone who enjoys the darker industrial side of techno, or more accurately, the more aggressive stompy side of industrial music. The rivethead is ridiculed equally by the old school industrial fans as well as the newer cyber crowd, but is usually too busy stomping to Caustic, Feindflug or Die Krupps to give a damn. Rivetheads are commonly thought of as being supremely elitist but behind those outsized military goggles there often lies a knowing sense of humour--hell, you'd need one if you dressed for war just to go clubbing. "You call yourself a rivethead? I invented that shit. You wanna stomp to Death Method, you owe me royalties." --Chase of Reconstriction records (he may or may not have actually said this) rivet heads rivethead rivet industrial ebm coldwave elektro 1990s dead scene
by EinsturzendeSteve May 16, 2008 share this add comment

and no, just because I like the german music scene, doesnt mean I'm into the neo-nazi bs...those guys are to fukt up for me, as well as what they stand for...def. not my thing.

im obsessed with the color orange, so whenever i buy something i always look for it in orange. Hence, my first hookah had to be orange. I pretty much wear orange everyday. and plus... Im asian, so im a MandirnOrange.

Well my nickname for all my friends in person is Hector, even tho im a skinny white boy. I got that because I have always been on two wheels bikes, scooters, motorcycles. And I used to wear half finger gloves all the time, like all through freshman year of highschool. Well coincidentaly I also got in alot of fights during freshman year, and I won almost all of them! Well next thing I knew everyone was callign me Hector Rodriguez The Street Fighting Champion! So even tho at first I thought it was lame, it grew on me and I am now called Hector.

As For Gold Wing Gunner, I play Counter Strike sometimes, but Mostly Day of Defeat. And I used to play the Machinegun position alot, because I was unbelieveably good at it! Like I got banned from alot of servers for 'hacking' with it becaues I kicked ass! But one day I was in a server and everyone was talking about starwars and kept changing their names to like Red Squad leader- and such, well I chose Gold Wing Gunner. And next thing I knew everyone online knew me as Gold Wing Gunner or GWG or Goldwinger lol. But I dont really care what ppl call me, like not at all so feel free to break out the insults yall. lol

Roux because I love to cook and a roux is the thickening agent in lots of sauces and 58 because it was always my jersey number.

"Dom" is the first three letters of my last name: Domingue. it's pronounced "DOE-mang" (Cajun French). This guy at work shortened it to reduce confusion.

Not sure how Nebulaluna came about, I have had it forever. I like celestial bodies.

My real name is Reagan and I never really had a nick name. People often shortened it to Ray. I had one friend who called me Nermal (the cutest kitten in the world).
I am often given ray guns by friends - since it is impossible to find Reagan on anything. So now some friends write my name out as Ray-gun, but it still sounds the same.

• 5 months later...
college...its kinda like Mufasa, but with my name...Moe.
I'm also known as Moseph, Moebert, etc etc haha

Hello my name is Chase.

Everything I do is at a relaxed pace. I have a deep voice and I speak at a relaxed pace. I perform personal and corporate work at a relaxed pace. I guess that with all the physical stuff I do, I conserve calories with things like thinking and talking wink.gif - My first nerdy girlfriend said I was stuck on 'lowspeed.'

Lowspeedchase.

i bought Diablo 2 the day it was released...and i'm pretty sure i started looking through the dictionary starting from "A"...this was the first thing that caught my eye.

at least, that's how i remember it. been using this name for 8 years now...

coastlines....hmm, well I was looking for a new name on twitter because I was tired of the one I had. It was hard for people to @ reply to. I used the other name on forums and then it was easy, but I needed a change.

I went through my itunes trying to find a bad ass song name that I could use. I tried several names and they were all taken. I finally tried "Coastlines" by Jim Ward and it was perfect and not taken so I started using it in different places.

• 2 weeks later...
I was at camp and they said I eat like a bear.
So I was from then on Bear.

Several people without me telling them my nickname have called me Bear.
It is destiny.