Do You Guys Make Sure The Coals Are Fully Lit?

What I mean is....do you wait until the coals are white before you put them on the bowl? Sometimes I notice they get the coals started on the stove for a few minutes and then throw them on the bowl. Half of it's still black. Is this ok to do...or will it mess up the flavor?

I'm using a Mya with a tangiers phunnel and Nammor hose. I think I have all the good stuff now....just want to get the best out of each session so I want to learn all the tricks! Thanks in advance.

Well, do you find it messes with the flavor? I try to make sure they are actually on fire, and then I put them in the ash tray and let them cool down some before placing them on the bowl.

well i think if they are only half lit, they wont stay lit through out the whole thing? i know if you kinda get them started and put them in a charcoal holder that you can swing around, i think it would help light the rest of it, but you are better off just laying it on the coils you start the coals in.

You should make sure they're entirely lit so you don't inhale any fumes from the ignition of the coal. There's no reason to not wait for them to light.

[/thread]

Not sure what you guys are talking about with the coals on fire, lol. I've never had that problem. I take a coal and split it in 3 (Exoticas) and then put them on the stover burner. Turn it on for about 2 minutes and then take them off and put them on the hookah. They're usually half white and then as time goes on (as you know) they turn completely white. That was my question...do you wait until they are fully white, or does it not make a difference??

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1299038652' post='500002']
2 minutes? Damn, you must have a really good burner... Sounds like you're not lighting them fully. You need to do that.
[/quote]

It's a few minutes...2 to 3.

I just make sure they are fully glowing orange. I dont usually wait for them to have a white layer of ash on them as long as they are glowing bright orange all the way around. Now granted I've never used Exoticas I use Coconaras but its the same basic principle. The flames that appear around the top and edges of the coal is a good sign not a problem its a good thing. But yea especially when using instant light coals make sure they are FULLY lit.

Well, I use QL's and it is rule of thumb to make sure that it's fully lit and ashed all over, since they have lighter liquid on that helps them light quickly and I don't want to get sick on all that. :P

But I'm not so sure if that applies to naturals as well as I've not used them, the only issue I could think is that some naturals smell funny when you are lighting them but there's no taste or smell [b]after they are fully lit.[/b] So if you put one of those on while they are not fully lit, it will mess up the taste royally!

Though I don't think how CO comes into play, as far as I know, CO is produced when combustion takes place in insufficient oxygen, so as long as your room is properly ventilated, I don't think it's a problem. But then again I could be wrong ? Edited by INCUBUSRATM
Borderline NHT ref.

[quote name='kmccoy90' timestamp='1299035907' post='499996']
You should make sure they're entirely lit so you don't inhale any fumes from the ignition of the coal. There's no reason to not wait for them to light.

[/thread]
[/quote]

+1

Usually I only get mine glowing red on one side. Once there on top of the bowl, red side facing down, they quickly start going with a little foil on top. (with poked holes)

I don't, but then again all I have access to are QL's. I put mine on a burner until they stop sparking and the bottom is red hot, then I put them on. This actually works quite well for Golden's and 3 Kings as the bottom heats evenly and the rest turns white gradually. No waiting!

Stuie's OCD Method

1) Put Coconaras on stove burner.
2) Flip when all half lit (~4 minutes)
3) Blow on coals to make sure the only black spot is on the very top (2-3 minutes)
4) Take coals off and put them in coal carrier with black spot that was on top flipped and touching the bottom of the coal carrier
5) Lightly Rock/Swing Carrier as I walk it to hookah.
6) Pick up the coals and flip them so the part touching the coal carrier is now pointing up on your bowl.
7) Coals will relight black part in about a minute.

now you have fully lit coals on your bowl.

My method is to light my coals and when they're good and red I put them on the bowl and then let them sit for about 5 minutes and really get the tobacco nice and warm. I then flip them and rotate them 45 degrees to the left or the right, it doesnt matter. So I start with 1 on the right and one on the left then wait 5 minutes, flip them and rotate them so theres 1 on the forward side and 1 on the opposite... does that make sense? anyway... The first puff I take is aways extremely thick and flavorful and I don't have to deal with puffing and getting little to no smoke. But to really answer your question, the top part of my coals ususally have ash on them whereas the bottom of the coals usually go out, hence the flip. I've been doing it this way for the last 5 or 6 years and it works great for me. try it!

Regardless of the coal that you are using you'll taste something that shouldn't be if they aren't fully lit. The one type of coals that you might be able to get away without fully lighting them are Coco Naras and I still try to light them completely.