1. 1. What do you do to promote?

• Ad in newspaper
    • Street team with print
    • Coupons / Deals
    • Local venues
    • Billboard
    • Twitter, Facebook, other SocNet
    • Sign twirler

I don't own a Hookah Lounge (yet), I've got a real job with a paycheck, benefits, and vacation time :morning1:
I'm still working on my business plan and it won't be for another 2 years until I can go through with it, if the craze hasn't died by then. However, part of my business plan will need to be how I plan to promote. This information will also maybe help an existing lounge get in the game.

Answer the poll if you can/want please. Also, a description of one of your campaigns would be sweet.

BTW mushrat, your business documents have been a great example to work with.

I dont own longe but I am kinda helping a new hookah shop getting into the business so here a few of my comments and ideas

Free social networks like Facebook or Twitter are great because the word spreads fast... I dont think I need to explain that
The only flaw...someone has to like the page at first to get it going...so you (or that existing hookah lounge) still need customers

My second idea would be simple coupons or deals...these are selfexplanatory
if you have some quality deals, you get customers

The third one:
T-shirts....making custom T-shirts is rather cheap today
great advertisment....can go toe-to-toe with the deals...lets say...every visitor gets a stamp card...for every visit you get stamp...after xy visits you get a T-shirt
perhaps first 10 visitors or the regulars should get them ASAP
if you get them out on the street you got a street team

Sign twirler to get the impulse buyers in... Also make sure you put some hookahs in the front display window or the classic hookah silouette window sticker for the experiences smokers.

Coupons to get your existing customers to come more often

and internet to get smokers to visit your place for the first time. I think forums and other hookahcentric sites will be more valuable than FB or other general networking sites.

Make sure your place comes up in a google search and especially google maps.

One of my friend's lounge relied on word of mouth and since it supplied a great shisha with other facilities, such as games, good selection of music, television and so on..it allowed him to get plenty of customers.

By all means, I think advertising on social network websites such as Facebook will be good.

I'm currently applying for all the licensing and a store front I need to open a hookah house up. I got my business plan, my investments, and my hookahs are on the way, but put a very small amount of money into advertising. I'm college aged, so I'm going to put myself on campus the first week of school and hand out fliers (I'm opening up one in a college town).

If you give them to chill looking people and try to start up conversation they'll come. Make sure you say things directed at them. "You'll totally dig this." People like to feel like they are cool.

Fliers are cheap, and if you thrown on a couple hookah t-shirts i think that'll be enough.

My last plan is to set up a table with a dissembled hookah and some shisha. The hookah itself looks cool and will draw attention.

When i was planing to open a lounge a plan I had was setup local in store databases for recurring customers and offer free stuff for returning members . When they bought shisha or payed to sit and smoke It would accumulate points that could be redeemed for free shisha free lounge or hookah .

[quote name='azbrian' timestamp='1297981034' post='498237']
Ray, does the coupons seem to create a significant influx of customers (does it work)?
[/quote]
yes it actually does.we have two standard we use. 15% of of any merchandise or one free hookah session for two. I only work one day a week and I see a couple every time I do. It gets them in the door and even if the hookah service was free they almost always end up buying something before they leave.
Ray

[quote name='rj_skillz' timestamp='1297882203' post='498098']
One of my friend's lounge relied on [b]word of mouth[/b] and since it supplied a great shisha with [b]other facilities, such as games, good selection of music, television[/b] and so on..it allowed him to get plenty of customers.

By all means, I think advertising on social network websites such as Facebook will be good.
[/quote]

bingo. provide a good product at a reasonable price. word of mouth will do most of the rest.

specials. think of drink specials. make your place THE place to watch a sporting event. who doesn't like to relax, watch a good game (soccer, basketball football even) with a hookah? hell, that's my routine every saturday and sunday at home. weekdays (like tomorrow for champions league) i go out to a place that has every sports package under the sun. during the world cup they were PACKED during game times. so yeah, back to specials, local team playing? 50% off of a head/bowl refill or something (that was an example).

change it up, if you have the space. make one section the place to watch tv and another area to play games/lounge/socialize. the place that i go to around here has a setup like that and they have a shit ton of regulars...you know, the people that keep the business running.