Welcome to Hookah Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Hassouni

Basma

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=2][font="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"][size="2"][size=2][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]In Ashrafiye, on the main road leading to ABC (Charles Malek? I'm not sure the name of a lot of Beirut streets). Often directions are given by saying it's across the street from Schtroumpf (the French word for Smurf, really), which is, I take it, a famous restaurant. Basma is a Lebanese restaurant, again, another restaurant with argileh.
[/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]Atmosphere: 5/5. Very nice. It has a huge outdoor terrace with really pretty decor. [/size][/size][/font][/size][/size][/font]
[color="#5D5D5D"][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]
Argileh: 5/5. OH MY GOD. Get their special blend and don't look back. So they have the usual apple, grape, lemon, etc suspects, but they also have what they call a special fruit blend with musk (miskeh in arabic...it's not actually musk, it's mastic in english, but whatever). This is a house-blended mix of mu'assal, combined with crushed mastic resin, which is an ingredient added to a lot of Arabic desserts. You get it, and at first thing, well, it's nice I guess, but the flavor is just very weak. Then you pause to eat your dinner. Then dessert comes and you pick up your hose again and it hits you - THE MIX IN THE BOWL TASTES JUST LIKE DESSERT!!! It is the PERFECT after-dinner smoke. It really blew my mind. I asked the guy if I could buy it in a store, and he said no, they mix it all in the kitchen, but he gave me a little sample of the tobacco, and said i needed to buy the "miskeh" or mastic, and crush it and mix it with the tobacco and then put it in the bowl. I didn't actually smoke the tobacco, but it smelled like a dark/red fruit mix - berries, maybe grape, some other stuff like that. I got some mastic and I'm gonna try this at home. Awesome[/size][/size][/font][/color][/color]
[color="#5D5D5D"][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2][/size][/size][/font][/color][/color]
[color="#5D5D5D"][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]Service: 5/5. Excellent, the waiters were fine, but the argileh attendant was really great, it's he who gave me all the tips about the mix and the tiny sample to take home.
[/size][/size][/font][/color][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]
[/size][/size][/font][color="#1C2837"][font="Tahoma"][size="2"][size=2]Food: 5/5. Again, a proper restaurant. Very unusual menu, very well executed. It's rare to find dishes on a Lebanese menu that you don't see anywhere else, but they have a lot....including a dish called 'Aj'ouj, which, no joke, is kids' slang for certain female lower anatomy. It was delicious, by the way!

Price: 5/5. Don't remember exactly how much it was, other than that it was a bit more than the usual places. At the same time, the food and everything else provided were superb, so I feel it's fair.

Overall recommendation: Go!! Amazing food, and the special mix mu'assal was astonishing.[/size][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

Sign in to follow this