Café Blanc

Hassouni

[font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=2][font="Tahoma"][size=2]There's at least one other Café Blanc, in ABC Mall in Ashrafiye, but I haven't been there. This is for the one in Hamra, in the Crowne Plaza hotel center right on Hamra Street. [/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size=2]
[/size][/font][/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size=2]Atmosphere: 5/5. Wow. Awesome. This is really more of a restaurant than anything else, though as I've said any good Lebanese restaurant will have argileh. If I had to describe the decor, I'd say "ultramodern orientalist." Look for yourself:[/size][/font]
[font="Tahoma"][size=2][img]http://www.gardlen.com/system/images/3058/reg/2.jpg?1280739575[/img]
[/size][/font]
[color=#5D5D5D][color=#1C2837][font="Tahoma"][size=2]
Argileh: 5/5. Superb, and different. They use modern industrial design pipes not seen at other venues. I did however, see them being sold for $80 a pop at an argileh shop when normal Leb pipes go for $20... Here's what they look like:[/size][/font][/color][/color]
[color=#5D5D5D][color=#1C2837][font="Tahoma"][size=2][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c313/click267/IMG00146-20100813-1235.jpg[/img]
(photo courtesy, I think, of HookahJohn. Found on Google)[/size][/font][/color][/color]
[color=#5D5D5D][color=#1C2837][font="Tahoma"][size=2]Despite looking gimmicky, they're really sturdy and they smoke very very well. If I wanted to blow American-market prices on a hookah (I did that on an Elmas and it killed me), I'd probably get one of these. [/size][/font][/color][/color]
[color=#5D5D5D][color=#1C2837][font="Tahoma"][size=2]
[/size][/font][/color][/color]
[color=#5D5D5D][color=#1C2837][font="Tahoma"][size=2]Service: 4/5. Fine. Not stellar, but it was the end of the night and they clearly wanted to close. Should prob make it an N/A since we were so late.
[/size][/font][/color][font="Tahoma"][size=2]
[/size][/font][color=#1C2837][font="Tahoma"][size=2]Food: 5/5. Very nice. This is a unique venue, and their approach to food is sort of reinvented traditional Lebanese with modern flair. Admittedly I only had a hummus with awarma (a sort of lamb confit), but it and the hot fresh bread were delicious and beautifully presented. Drinks presentation is nice too.

Price: 4/5. I don't remember how much it was, but I think the hummus, argileh, and drink I had (I can't even remember if it was beer or Arak) were over $20. This is a lot for Lebanon, but compared to Western prices, is a great deal.

Overall recommendation: Really cool looking place with a HUGE focus on presentation, from the decor to the food to the nargile. In all honesty I'd come here more for the food than just to smoke - that's clearly its focus, but I would definitely order an argileh to go along with my dinner![/size][/font][/color][/color]

• 2 months later...