The Wisdom Thread

[quote name='ilikemyusername' timestamp='1298858613' post='499768']
heres an interesting thing to think about though completerly neutral.

If god is omnipotent, can god make an object so heavy he can't lift it? just think about it for a second.
[/quote]

The idea behind that is that god can do anything except that which limits his power. And its really can god microwave a burrito so hot that even he can't eat it.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1298859332' post='499771']
[quote name='ilikemyusername' timestamp='1298858613' post='499768']
heres an interesting thing to think about though completerly neutral.

If god is omnipotent, can god make an object so heavy he can't lift it? just think about it for a second.
[/quote]

The idea behind that is that god can do anything except that which limits his power. And its really can god microwave a burrito so hot that even he can't eat it.
[/quote]

Is it a god microwave or a G.E.? and I think it goes "Can god make a planet so dry that even he can't swim in it?"

• 2 months later...
Life is what you make it.

Simple but more true than any of us ever knew.

• 2 months later...
[quote name='Giant Ninja Robot' timestamp='1297532375' post='497704']
[b]I'm creating a thread in which we can post nuggets of life wisdom to live by.[/b] Those practical and spiritual, anything to make our life experiences more fulfilling and whole.

Feel free to turn these posts into existential conversation and debate about life, even if not public and via PM.

HOWEVER, this thread will exist in a spirit of positivity and love, so if you wanna be all contentious and cranky, know I will rap-attack you, and I'm a pretty damn good battler. You will taste lyrical doom. Try me.
[/quote]

I like the Four Agreements by Don Miquel Ruiz, even though I haven't read his book yet.
1. Be impeccable in your speech.
2. Don't take things personally.
3. Don't make assumptions.
4. Always try your best.

Sounds like something my dad would say, simple and so true.

- The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet

- One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision

- Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society

- All our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have

- The Universe was created the moment I was born and It'll cease to exist when I die

- Cant see the forest for the trees

-Anything, and I do mean anything, can be funny under the right circumstances and context. Nothing should be taboo in humour.

-Each of us views things differently, and that is based on the experiences we accumulate in our lives. Our reality is different from that of other's because of this. In order to have a more complete view of reality, and allow us to see the views of others, we should seek to gain as many experiences as possible. Whether it is skydiving, or playing tennis, every single experience will lead us to becoming more complete.

Edify those around you. What good does it do to tear down those around you, when you can build them up?

When Chaos and Debasement starts to surround you, you have only two options. Fight it or become it. You cannot run anywhere it cannot follow.

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.

Intelligence is the extent to which one understands their own ignorance

Wisdom is the extent to which one accepts their own ignorance

Intellect is the extent to which one seeks to change their own ignorance

[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1311651588' post='517235']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6bUUmelbyw"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=g6bUUmelbyw[/url]

Some of the best advice I've ever heard.

[i][b]It all goes back in the box.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

wow Dave. Thanks for posting that. Amazing.

[quote name='MichaelLCP' timestamp='1311719762' post='517341']
[quote name='TheyCallMeDave' timestamp='1311651588' post='517235']
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6bUUmelbyw"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=g6bUUmelbyw[/url]

Some of the best advice I've ever heard.

[i][b]It all goes back in the box.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

wow Dave. Thanks for posting that. Amazing.
[/quote]

No problem man, just here to share what I also found to be very profound.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"I don't mean to be"..."rude, a nag, a bother, too frank"...etc.

Then don't. Because ironically in life, the people who say they [b]don't mean[/b] to be a bother, nag, rude or too frank with what they have to say, usually do it the worst.

[quote name='jorlyfish' timestamp='1312259347' post='518272']
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Intelligence is not putting it into a fruit salad.
[/quote]

Haha, I like that one Jordan

• 1 month later...
"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Gandhi

This is one of my favorite quotes, very dense with meaning and very proactive. Gandhi's life and work are of great interest to me.

Something else to contribute to this particular thread, by me, not some famous guy with a name everyone recognizes (yet), involves the root of all spiritual, religious, and in my opinion even atheistic principles. I believe that there are 2 things at the heart of every true life path: compassion and self-actualization. Every religion I can think of (including smaller tribal/cultural religions) originates its teachings from these two things, and even Atheists would probably agree that if virtue existed, these 2 would fall in that category. Of course, I could be wrong. Any thoughts?

[quote name='prangera' timestamp='1315423891' post='522921']
"Be the change you want to see in the world." -Gandhi

This is one of my favorite quotes, very dense with meaning and very proactive. Gandhi's life and work are of great interest to me.

Something else to contribute to this particular thread, by me, not some famous guy with a name everyone recognizes (yet), involves the root of all spiritual, religious, and in my opinion even atheistic principles. I believe that there are 2 things at the heart of every true life path: compassion and self-actualization. Every religion I can think of (including smaller tribal/cultural religions) originates its teachings from these two things, and even Atheists would probably agree that if virtue existed, these 2 would fall in that category. Of course, I could be wrong. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Interesting idea, I think that compassion is evident in every world view I can think of, but the separation lies with the question does compassion originate from self actualization or fear?

The theme for Master Camp one year was (along the lines of) "It does not matter if you win, what matters is you do not loose."

It took me a while to get it, and actually "loosing" a match to drive it home. It's all a matter of attitude. Or, more simply, don't be an ass.

• 4 months later...