Af Coals Going Out: A "brilliant" Solution...

I haven't posted here much, so I thought I'd try to contribute rather than just quietly browse the forum..!

Anyway, my local "hookah supply store" recently stopped selling Coconara coals. I have always loved those, as compared to QL's, so I was a little distraught. Instead of panic, though, I decided to try a different shop, and found an AF brand of coconut coal. They work ok, but the "business end" of the coal always goes out quickly while smoking, so I have to flip it constantly. Perhaps this is a common problem, perhaps I'm just not heating them long enough, or perhaps I'm just not keeping up on my prayers to the almighty merciless Hookah Gods (I've found they anger easily, especially if I accidentally leave a QL on the bowl while it's still sparkling...). In any case, I had an idea that nearly solves the problem: dimes. I put a dime on top of the bowl and perched one side of the coal on it. This allows a little more airflow to the underside of the coal and keeps it nice and hot. Any thoughts, questions, concerns, or sarcastic criticisms are appreciated...!

Cheers,

~Ky

that's a cool idea, never thought of it. i might have to give it a try sometime. in my short experience, the razan natural coals stay light on the bottom better than the AF coco's, so i flip them less and get great results. i tried my af coco's again last night and was just not impressed by them compared to the razans. still need to try coconara's, though

[quote name='Kyashe' timestamp='1297357414' post='497461']
I haven't posted here much, so I thought I'd try to contribute rather than just quietly browse the forum..!

Anyway, my local "hookah supply store" recently stopped selling Coconara coals. I have always loved those, as compared to QL's, so I was a little distraught. Instead of panic, though, I decided to try a different shop, and found an AF brand of coconut coal. They work ok, but the "business end" of the coal always goes out quickly while smoking, so I have to flip it constantly. Perhaps this is a common problem, [b][u]perhaps I'm just not heating them long enough[/u],[/b] or perhaps I'm just not keeping up on my prayers to the almighty merciless Hookah Gods (I've found they anger easily, especially if I accidentally leave a QL on the bowl while it's still sparkling...). In any case, I had an idea that nearly solves the problem: dimes. I put a dime on top of the bowl and perched one side of the coal on it. This allows a little more airflow to the underside of the coal and keeps it nice and hot. Any thoughts, questions, concerns, or sarcastic criticisms are appreciated...!

Cheers,

~Ky
[/quote]

probably this...