My Theory On Home Made Shisha Flavoring

Murakamikazi

Hey guys, I'm new here this is my first post. I've been trying to make my own shisha for about a week and a half now and I've had success with smoke factor and smoothness, but I am faced with a problem when it comes to flavor. Right now I'm trying Frontier brand Orange flavoring oil. That still doesn't work and I had an epiphany that I wanted to share and get some feedback on. Well here it is: molasses/honey is a water based substance, right? Well think about it, oil based liquids don't mix well with water. They tend to stay separated. So my thought is that the flavoring oil is just running off when I pack a bowl with my experimental shisha. Well to fix that I was wondering if powdered candy flavorings would work better because of the fact that they are generally mix with water based liquids. So one could mix the powder and molasses/honey and then coat the tobacco with the mixture then add the glycerin. I haven't been able to find any powder flavorings locally, but before I go out ans buy it I just wanted to hear what you guys think of my theory. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

[quote name='Murakamikazi' timestamp='1296092595' post='495814']
Hey guys, I'm new here this is my first post. I've been trying to make my own shisha for about a week and a half now and I've had success with smoke factor and smoothness, but I am faced with a problem when it comes to flavor. Right now I'm trying Frontier brand Orange flavoring oil. That still doesn't work and I had an epiphany that I wanted to share and get some feedback on. Well here it is: molasses/honey is a water based substance, right? Well think about it, oil based liquids don't mix well with water. They tend to stay separated. So my thought is that the flavoring oil is just running off when I pack a bowl with my experimental shisha. Well to fix that I was wondering if powdered candy flavorings would work better because of the fact that they are generally mix with water based liquids. So one could mix the powder and molasses/honey and then coat the tobacco with the mixture then add the glycerin. I haven't been able to find any powder flavorings locally, but before I go out ans buy it I just wanted to hear what you guys think of my theory. Any comments are greatly appreciated.
[/quote]
most success ive had is with alcohol extracts. Not much mind you as more more i add the runnier/wet the shisha is and the less moke i get.

this is a very interesting idea.measure your glycerin and honey like .25 or .5 cups each and combine. then late a strong flavor sugar free kool-aid like grape or fruit punch and stir it in.heating the mixture just a bit may help with the melding process and evaporate some of the water.then just let it sit for a couple days.finally fold in your tobacco and let it sit in there another couple days. Then smoke. Might have to try this this weekend.
Ray

Yes, that was my thought exactly. @Ezxen I watched your video on Youtube and that is what I based my first trial off of. I didn't get any flavor with the alcohol extract and upon further inspection I realized that the alcohol extracts also contain orange oil. That may be why the alcohol extracts don't work as well because they are oil based, but they are watered down with alcohol and water. @ Joytron Isn't it also true though that the flavoring oils are meant to be exposed to some degree of high heat since they are intended for cooking purposes. Especially the hard candy flavorings because it takes a good amount of heat to get corn syrup to crystallize and harden. @Venger The sugar free Kool-aid idea sounds pretty good, I didn't think about that. It sounds like it could work.

[quote name='Murakamikazi' timestamp='1296146987' post='495878']
Yes, that was my thought exactly. @Ezxen I watched your video on Youtube and that is what I based my first trial off of. I didn't get any flavor with the alcohol extract and upon further inspection I realized that the alcohol extracts also contain orange oil. That may be why the alcohol extracts don't work as well because they are oil based, but they are watered down with alcohol and water. @ Joytron Isn't it also true though that the flavoring oils are meant to be exposed to some degree of high heat since they are intended for cooking purposes. Especially the hard candy flavorings because it takes a good amount of heat to get corn syrup to crystallize and harden. @Venger The sugar free Kool-aid idea sounds pretty good, I didn't think about that. It sounds like it could work.
[/quote]
Yeah exactly .Not much flavor at all.

upon further research i would not use sugar-free Koolaid but unsweetened koolaid (the kind you had your own sugar to) Here is why. sugarfree has splenda (suclarose)which is made simply put by chlorinating sucrose. Breathing this vapor would be bad. So same recipe as above just use unsweetened koolaid.the glycerin and honey will sweeten it up.
Ray

Alright, sounds good. I made up a batch and I'm going to try it later. It will have been sitting for about 7.5 hours. If I get any flavor out of it at all I'm going to try the process of letting sit for a couple of days before usage. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

[quote name='Murakamikazi' timestamp='1296168120' post='495919']
Alright, sounds good. I made up a batch and I'm going to try it later. It will have been sitting for about 7.5 hours. If I get any flavor out of it at all I'm going to try the process of letting sit for a couple of days before usage. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
[/quote]
well how did it work?
Ray

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1296569530' post='496446']
[quote name='Murakamikazi' timestamp='1296168120' post='495919']
[/quote]
well how did it work?
Ray
[/quote]
Ditto +1 . Im curious as to coolaid as a flavoring agent

It wasn't bad. It had a good smoke factor and slightly more flavor, but I still end up with a really strong tobacco flavor. I'm at the point where I don't know if it's so much as the ingredients rather the process in which we prepare the tobacco. I don't know I'm going to tinker with it a bit more and see if I can get any better results.

cigarette tobacco is cured in such a way that it is going to have a strong tobacco taste.you need to wash the tobacco to get that taste to mellow. This will also wash out some of the nicotine so you have to decide what more important flavor or buzz. just soak it in cold water and strain it through paper towel or cheese cloth.rinse,repeat.
Ray

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1296742064' post='496671']
cigarette tobacco is cured in such a way that it is going to have a strong tobacco taste.you need to wash the tobacco to get that taste to mellow. This will also wash out some of the nicotine so you have to decide what more important flavor or buzz. just soak it in cold water and strain it through paper towel or cheese cloth.rinse,repeat.
Ray
[/quote]

I'm actually using a natural flavor, no bite pipe tobacco. What I do is wash it, boil it, rinse it, boil it again, and rinse it again before i let it dry for use.