Exotica Natural Finger Coals

I posted this a few mins ago but I think I pressed a wrong button and it erased. I am new here and hope I can get involved more..
Brand: Exotica Square Finger Coal in 1kg Box

Smell: none

Taste: none

Longevity: 1 Hour and 10 minutes. Did not break at all during process

I tried the coal as I was sent a sample of it. It claimed alot but didnt believe it until I tried it. I actually think it was best coal. Please let me know if anyone else has tried it and they think the same.

The only company which sell is online that I have found is Hookahhost.com

I will take a pic soon and post it as I think people we re talking about no pictures were found online.

10/10

• 2 months later...
Excotica Square Finger Coals

Very dense coals. Needed a screw driver to bash them apart. I like them alot. I use a blow torch to light them, they burn for 1 hour and they haven't split. I'm gonna go buy another box.

Exotica Square Coals!

These are super-fine and hella sexy licious. Nothing better. NOTHING. It's like puttign cubes of really hot air on your shisha to heat it up. They burn for a good hour , sometimes maybe more. They are easy to use, and fun to cut. Very dense, bu that makes them all the freakin greater.

• 1 month later...
Brand: Exotica Square Finger Coal in 1kg Box

Smell: No smell at all

Taste: none

Longevity: At least an hour to sometimes an hour and a half

Def the best coal I have purchased. These will be my new coal from here on out! Love the square shape. Once you place them on the bowl you don't have to worry much about them rolling off or falling off.

10/10!

Exotica Square coal
if u want somehting that will last and keep its shape try these.. freaking sweet they are rock solid but have a lil extra ash when smoked. its worth it having to ash a lil extra. controlable heat and easy to maintain and last forever. 9/10. oh no smell or taste.

• 1 month later...
Exotica Square Coals-

Looks- They are square and in fingers.
Smell- There is a slight smell when lighting.
Taste- If the coal isn't lit all the way, there will be a taste! Make sure to let it ash over before you put it on the bowl!
Longevity- Usually last 45 min to an hour. I can usually get 4 pieces out of one stick, which usually lasts me an entire bowl.

Overall- This is one of my go to coals.
9/10

Exotica Square Coals (with pictures!)

Cost: About 9 bucks a box

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/dra...fe/S6303833.jpg
The Box
Appearence: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/dra...fe/S6303834.jpg
Long, square coals. The surface is smooth.

Smell/Taste: Yes there is a smell WHILE lighting. But once they are red hot, the smell goes away. MAKE sure they are red hot and have a layer of ash before you put them on the bowl or else you will taste coals. But when they are red hot and everything, there is no taste whatsoever.

Ease of Lighting/Method: Requires a stove, torch, or hot plate. Takes about 5 mins.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/dra...fe/S6303835.jpg
This is how I cut them up (4 pieces) When their cut up, I just light them up

Ash: VERY fine layers of grey ash. You only need to ash these every 10-15 mins

Heat/Duration: Pretty good! A while stick will probably last me 1 hour or 1 session

Recommend: Of course! These coals are very good and they don't roll off when you barely touch your hookah.

OVERALL: 9/10 These coals are great! Its just the woodsy sort of smell that goes on WHILE lighting that is a downer.

• 2 weeks later...
Exotica

So this is my first review and I thought I'd share some of my insights into the wonderful world of coals. I've been smoking hookah for about a year now and have tried many different types of coals. My first coals were the Three Kings coals which I've had a pretty good time with, made the unfortunate purchase of some Rolands coals, and yeah, tears were shed. Anyways, I made the fortunate chance of coming across a wonderful hookah bar called Hookah Bliss in Chapel Hill, NC. The owner introduced me to the type of coals he uses, Exotica. These are definitely a step above and beyond your usual instalight coals. These coals take a bit more prep time, but once ready are in my opinion the best for a nice smooth smoke for hours. The trick is all in the preparation. The owner of hookah bliss, helped me a lot when trying to first use these coals. Here are the steps to start smoking smoothly, constantly. The first step is something my buddy came up with after a night of drinking.

Prepping coals for lighting.
Step 1, remove one stick of Exotica from the box.
2. Wrap in paper towels, make sure it's 2-3 sheets thick, it can get messy.
3. Fine large blunt object.
4. Hit coals, 2 hard taps, then examine coals.
5. Remove desired pieces and pieces too small.
6. Re-wrap pieces too large and repeat steps 4 and 5.

This is the most efficient way of breaking these coals up that we've figured out so far.

Lighting
1. Get a hotplate, or stove top will work. I live in a dorm so a hot plate is my best option.
2. Place coals on hotplate, only as many as you think you will need in the next 10 minutes.
3. Remove coals only when lit, and enjoy!

Normally instructions wouldn't go with the review but in this case I felt that without the instructions it's hard to enjoy these coals. They are magnificent coals that burn quite slowly but produce the perfect amount of heat to get that smooth burning you want. I haven't fully mastered the use of these coals but for a stationary home hookah there is no better choice.

Overall
9/10

Pro's
Burn just hot enough, but not too hot
No nasty coal taste with first or second pulls
Burn for a long time if you have a good piece
Ash is especially easy to clean

Con's
Prepping them is kind of bitch
Not easy to take with you for outdoor sessions

Hope you all find this useful! Edited by mushrat
Exoticas are finger coals. Not bulk so this is in the right place.

• 3 weeks later...
Exotica coals

Ease of Lighting: As expected for a natural coal. These burn a rather long time.

Smell: The packaging claims there is no smell, however there is a very light odor if you breathe it in close, although it doesn't SEEM toxic (more on this later).

Taste: Can't argue about this one, almost no taste.

Ash: One of the great things about this coal is its compactness and cohesiveness, and as such the ashes don't crumble off easily.

Other: This is easy to break, just use a crappy knife and etch a line all around the perimeter and break it.

NOTE**: Beware of these coals. I was smoking my second bowl in a row right after I got these. I was feeling a bit nauchious, dizzy, and I had a headache. I didn't think much of it until... BEEP BEEP BEEP the carbon monoxide detector goes off. This has never ever happened with any other coals I've used. To make sure this was due to the coals (only time the detector ever went off), I set up an experiment a couple days later. I burnt a whole stick and placed the carbon monoxide detector nearby with a new battery inserted. It took eight minutes for the carbon monoxide detector to go off this time. Many people will want to shrug this off as impossible, but if you care for your health you may want to try it yourself. Your choice.

Overall: 6/10. This really is a great coal other than for the obvious risk of CO poisoning... which in all seriousness is very harmful for the body. I have no bias against Exotica, for I just hope I am... somehow... wrong.

*First Post* here... thought people should be aware of the possible Carbon Monoxide danger with this coal.

• 1 month later...
Brand: Exotica

Ease of lighting: Normal for non-QLs, 5-10 minutes on an electric coil.

Smell: Smells like a BBQ on my patio until they're fully lit.

Taste: They have a nasty aftertaste that I don't notice when using bulk natural coals. As always, I wait until my coals are red hot all the way through before I take them off the stove, so that isn't the issue.

Longevity. 45 minutes before they were dead, give or take.

I really like the shape and ease of setting them up, but this is the second box I've bought and they still taste and smell horrible in my opinion. I won't be buying these again. I've heard a lot of good things about these coals, but I regret spending the money on them.

5/10. Edited by Ralleac

• 2 weeks later...
Brand: Exotica Square finger coals

I only bought these because my store was out of Qls, well, let me just say, I will NEVER go back to QLs (unless they are out of Exoticas, haha).

There is no taste I have noticed so far, or smell. To light them I put them on my stove on High, and they literally took under a minute just now, I started them before I put my coal in the bowl, and had to stop them because they were red hot and on fire (literally). I am smoking with them right now and they hit right off the bat. These are cheaper, and hit better than the QLs I had been buying (not sure what brand)

Overall experience: EXCELLENT

• 2 weeks later...
Exotica Square Fingers

Ease of Lighting: 8/10. Put on electric coil burner, fully lit in 5-7 minutes

Smell: 5/10. Definitely a camp-fire smell when lighting. MAKE SURE THEY ARE LIT ALL THE WAY THROUGH. If not, the bad smell will carry over into your session and its not good.

Taste: 8/10. Usually tasteless. I've had mostly good experience with these. But if not lit all the way through it can ruin an otherwise good session.

Heat: 9/10. These burn pretty hot. I tend to double-foil when I use them. Not to hard to manage though.

Ash: 6/10.These coals do tend to ash somewhat fast, I find myself knocking the ash off every 10-12 minutes.

Overall: 7/10. For the most part pretty good, however it can be a hassle to make sure they are completely lit and to ash them off so often. I might buy them again, but I'll probably be trying other brands first. Edited by [Elmo]

[b]Exotica Finger Coals[b]
[/b][/b]
[b]Lighting them[/b] - not sure on this one, a friend did it for me while i loaded the bowl...but since these are natural finger coals he had to use the stove.

[b]Smell and Taste[/b] - No charcoal taste, there was a campfire smell when it was first lit, but that went away..

[b]Ash[/b] - Very uniform, and subtle.

[b]Heat[/b] - there was no need for a tent and it never burned too hot.

[b]Length[/b] - they lasted for a long time, didn't time them, seemed like fourty to fifty minutes though using a third of the finger.

[b]Overall[/b] - 8/10 - they are good coals, but i still like not having to light my coals on a stove since i smoke in parks a lot. Other than that i love them, so if you are smoking at home these are great. Edited by delSol_si
BV

Exotica Square Fingers

Lighting: 8/10. Electric coil burner, lit in about 5 minutes

Smell: 8/10. Definitely a camp-fire smell when lighting. Didn't notice any smell one they were on the bowl.

Taste: 9/10. Tasteless.

Heat: 9/10. These burn pretty hot, but not hard to manage at all.

Ash: 8/10. Fine ash, but not too much of it.

Overall: 8/10. Great coal. This will be my new go-to coal.

• 7 months later...
Brand: Exotica

I have read many bad reviews about Exotica. I saw 3 1 kilogram boxes at a garage sale for $5 so, i bought all of them. to be therough i used all 3 kilograms before this post. they come in square fingers that i cut to 1-1.5 inch lengths for use.

Lighting time: 3 minutes on electric stove on high, 4 minutes on propane camping stove on very low(i like to save propane)

Flavor/Smell: No flavor or smell while smoking but a very slight burning coal smell while lighting, mind you, i was a couple milimeters from the coal while i smelled it and even there i could barely detect it.

Ashing: keeps perfect square shape till you touch it, it took 1/2 of an hour before i had any noticeable effect in smoke quality, at which point i knocjed the ash aff and they were only 1/3 burnt.

Time: 1.5 hours till nothing left, not hot enough to work at 1 hour 15 mins-1 hour 20 mins.

Heat: Very, Very hot, until 1 hour and 15 minutes, at which point hot enough to produce weak smoke.

price: after i found these at the garage sale i looked for them retail and found them on ebay for $7 a kilogram with free shiping (seller: exotic imports)

over all: 10/10