Golden Quicklight Coals

pauldavis

Golden Quicklights

Ease of Lighting (there you go anpu): Same as the 3 Kings coals

Smell: Chemical smell when lighting, but after that no noticable smell (and if you light on piggy back on one that is lready on your bowl, DO NOT draw while it is sparkling, verrrrrry bad taste)

Taste: Close to a natural coal, but they give off a lot of heat, so a coal-esque taste can come through when not manages properly

Ash: Ashes the same all around, very strong coal though, you would have to squeeze them pretty hard to get them to break all over the place

Overall: Love the convience, but I prefer the natural coals. Golden Quicklights, in my opinion are better than the 3 kings, but I suppose it is personal preference 8.5/10 minus a few for the quicklight tase (though it is a very mild one) and plus a few for the convience and strength

• 4 months later...
Golden Quiklights

I pretty much exclusivly use golden quiklites, i never get a bad flavour from the coal as long as i let the powder burn off first. ALso, they do give a lot of heat, so after about 20 min the coal needs to be adjusted on the bowl, or the smoke gets a harsh burning taste. But if moved around every so often, it gives a great smoke

• 1 month later...
Golden Coal Quick-lite

(larger gold package on left - right is standard 3 Kings)

Ease of Lighting: Easy, fast catch - torch lighter/BIC lighter

Smell: Very light chemical smell. Some smoking, light sparks. After coating burns off - no noticable smell.

Taste: None that we could notice. Very similar to 3 Kings or Japan Silver

Ash: Light - thick dark fine ash. No worse than 3 Kings. HARD coal - too a bit of strength to break

Overall: Was looking for Japanese Silver lites - no body had any. 3rd store had 3 Kings and these - easily twice the size of a standard 3 King (and twice the cost per roll $4). Acted just like 3 Kings, but larger. 1 Coal, broken into 4 pieces last 50+ min.

9/10 - if price was alittle lower, I would have given it a 10/10

Golden Coals / 1 is poor, 10 is couldn't be better without a hooker.

Ease of lighting - 10, A few seconds with a Bic is all it takes to get it going, and just a few more seconds to heat it through.
Smell - 3, An initial extreme sulfur smell, like matches, gunpowder or fireworks. With that in your nose, it's hard to enjoy the shisha. Thankfully it passes quickly.
Taste - 4, Strong aftertaste of campfire and charcoal.
Heat - 7, Gets good and hot, not as hot as natural coals but still cooks the shisha nicely and without complaint. One of these broken in half, even the smaller ones, is plenty.
Ash - 8, When ashing, these won't break apart into slivers. Some people don't like that, I guess, but it's a plus for me.
Longevity - 8 Lasts between 40 and 60 minutes depending on your smoking habits and group. For as big as these are they should really last longer, but I can't complain too much.
Price - 8, Cheap cheap cheap. Same price per single roll as Three Kings (comparing prices on Hookah-Shisha to Minnesota Hookahs), a roll is 1.75. The budgeteers way to hookah without going completely amiss to quality.
Overall - 7, Not bad coals. Their convenience makes up for the poor taste and smell. The price certainly helps as well. Edited by The fabulous Ian

Golden Coals Quicklight Coals

Lighting Ease: About 15 seconds with a lighter

Smell: Smelled like BBQ charcoal and chemicals when it was lighting and sparking, but when it was lit, I couldn't detect a smell

Taste: Slight charcoal taste for a few pulls after lighting. The taste went away after a minute or so

Longevity: About 45 minutes

Overall: 8/10, but I much prefer natural coals. I'll stick to my Al Ajdad Edited by garykainz

Golden quicklights

Lighting: easy, took 10 seconds to spark and 20 to finish

Smell: chemical smell but will go away soon

Taste: doesn't affect tobacco at all

Ash: ash pretty good

Overall: Like these coals better than the silver flints, 9.5/10

• 5 months later...
Golden Coal

Duration: I've gotten mine to last up to 1.5 hours.

Ease of Lighting: Light after about 10 seconds from a bic. Takes around 20 seconds total. I recommend blowing on it to get the heat where you want it.

Smell: What you'd expect from a quick-lite: chemical. However, it lasts only until fully lit, and then it's good.

Taste: Very pleasent taste. No chemical taste from what I can tell.

Ash: Nice, even ash. Pick it up and ash if you want.

Overall: 9/10. The only other quick-lite I have tried is sold down in Austin and they beat Golden Coal out in quality. However, Golden Coal is my main choice since I live up in Tyler. rolleyes.gif

• 2 months later...
I've been using Golden Coals (the big ones) for about 1/2 a year, it's all the local head shop has. I don't know why so many people complain about the smell of lighting these, or any other quicklight coal. DO IT OUTSIDE! smile.gif With 1-2 people each coal lasts about an hour.

My new purchase (35" Horas C) just came in today along with some other goodies. I'll put up more reviews after work. I got a box of Dodo coals, they were cheap, I was adventurious, we'll see...

• 4 weeks later...
GOLDEN QUICKLIGHTS

Typical quicklight smell when lighting, took a tad longer then 3K to get all ashed.

I couldn't taste the coal at all during my session, more darker grainer ash, easy to ash.

Lasted a good 40min.

No complaints, great coals, can't decide if i like 3K better or not.

• 1 month later...
Golden Quicklights

Duration: 45m - 1 hour sometimes longer

Ease of Lighting: Simple. I use a torch lighter but it goes up easy in a few seconds

Smell : Initial lighting smells kinda bad but not horribly potent.

Ash : Ash is very easy to remove and easy to clean

Shape: Circular

Heat: Consistent even heat.

Overall: 9/10. I love Golden quicklights, they are pretty much all I use lately. They light easy, the smell leaves quickly, and they don't taint the shisha with any bad flavor.

• 5 weeks later...
Golden QL

These overall arent too bad. I have used them at the lounge I go to every now and then, I have never noticed a taste with them. I actually thought they were naturals before I asked, because I saw the coil burner. They light pretty fast but you need to wait a bit for them to ash over or you do get a taste along with some CO poisoning. They seemed to last a good 30 mins for me which seems about right.

Mike

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
Try to rate the coal on ease of lighting, smell and any taste imparted to the tobacco, and longevity. Anything beyond that is up to you.

Golden Coals (over sized and original size)

Ease of lighting: I use electric stove so I really can't say much here when using a lighter. N/A at this time

Smell: After a minute on the stove, all the chemical taste is gone right from the start. As mentioned, I'm using a stove so it beats the "quick lite" purpose. N/A

Longevity: Best quick light charcoal I've used yet. I've had my share of japanese coals with the silver protective coat, starlight (which are bottom of the list btw) and Three Kings (which places 2nd btw). They last almost as long as natural exotica's. I did encounter few times where the coal broke into half and fell onto my carpet >:( so best to have a wide ash tray. 9/10 because of the random encounters on the "weaker" pieces of quick lites. Edited by Hookah_510

• 4 months later...
Golden coal quick lights

ok so in comparison to the ALGRECO's in my last coal revie QL'sw these are fantastic. these dont light up as easy or as quickly but have less smoke then ALGRECO's. These coals also burn at a slower rate, dont ash as much and have less of a smell. there is no noticeable taste when the coal is ready and burning, though they burn at a much higher heat then the ALGRECO coals making them harder to manage. i prefer these over the ALGRECO because they are more convenient but ease wise i would take the ALGRECO coals. these coalshave a life span of about 45 mins to 90 mins maybe longer the life of the coals are longer than the ALGRECO coals as well.

life of coals 7/10
lighting ease/ speed 5/10
heat:medium/high
overall 6/10

• 1 year later...
[b]Golden Quicklights [/b]40mm

[b]Duration[/b]: Usually a hour. I go through about a coal and a half on most sessions.

[b]Ease of Lighting[/b]: A tad tedious with a lighter but get a butane torch and it takes a matter of seconds.

[b]Smell[/b] : When it starts to light up and spark it smells like a campfire. No smell after that.

[b]Ash[/b] : Ash falls right off but can easily make its way into your bowl if you don't keep up with it.

[b]Heat[/b]: Sometimes it gives a little to much but hey I got the big ones...

[b]Overall[/b]: 9/10. Seems to be one of the best if not the best brand for quick lights. (Not that Ive tried many other brands) I would suggest going with the 33m instead of the 40. I find the 40 to be to big when using it on my vortex and they can give a tad to much heat at points. Can't really break it in half either it just falls apart.