Three Kings Quicklight Coals

Anpu

3 Kings Quicklites

Ease of Liteing(sp?) - VERY. Throw a match or lighter to one spot for about 10 seconds and it'll take care of the rest. Give it a good 30 seconds and maybe blow on it a lil to get it all nice and red all the way around then place on the bowl and enjoy :)

Smell: When igniting, it smells like gunpowder (which is what's coating it) but after it's done, the smell goes away.

Taste: Slight smokey taste but that's a price I'm willing to pay for the unparalleled conveniance.

Ash: Moderate uniform ash, keep them clean and they'll burn hotter and won't smoulder out. They have a tendency to crack in the middle if you throw em down on the ash tray though.

Overall: Good quicklite if you're looking for something that will be ready to smoke within a minute and won't effect taste *much*. I always use these at home. 8/10 (minus 2 points for effect on taste).

• 2 weeks later...

Very easy to light... can be done with a regular flame, but I MUCH prefer the little blow torch lighter to get it light all over

Easy to manage heat one you know how it acts.

Slight extra taste sometimes, but it's really not that bad. 3K is the way to go for convience

• 2 months later...
High Society Review

3 CROWNS Quicklites

Easy to light? not at all I had to hold a light under it and had to touch every single side of the coal and it still wouldn't light all the way.

Smell: I got a slight smell from it, like the magnesium(or whatever gets them going) but it wasnt much since it wasnt lighting.

Taste: I didnt get this far. It wasnt hot enough to smoke from.

Ash: This thing started to crumple when I was taking it off the bowl. Like the taste, didnt get far enough with it.

Overall: Horrible light, this thing started to crumble right away. When I was taking it off the bowl it crumbled a little and landed on my leg, yeah. Im lucky I was wearing jeans. I bought these things out of a quick glance and thought they were 3 kings, I was wrong. Because they at least got the coal to look like a quick light and it did start to light I give them a 2/10. But I wont be using the rest of the roll and wont be getting them again. I suggest all of you to look closer when you purchase, dont make the same mistake I did.

• 2 months later...
I just tried the 3 Kings that everyone has been raving about. I found that the 40MM works for Narkala(sp?) best but not for HH... too much heat I guess. The 33MM worked great for HH. Its nice and easy to use, dosen't give off a flavor and I don't have to wait forever to get it shipped like I do with the stuff from overseas...

Harry

• 3 weeks later...
3kings 40mil

Burns clean. Tasteless. Easy to light. One coal broken into 4 pieces burns for approx 40 minutes. With windscreen they can make it to almost an hour. They are easy to break. The only downside is they leave alot of black on your fingers.

• 3 months later...
3 Kings 33mm QuickLites
Lighting: Quick. Lighter on for 10 seconds or so. Parts don't lite at the same time, so I had to light different parts, but really quick and easy

Smell: Chemicals. Big time. Once it's all lit, its a lot less, but there is still a little chem smell throughout

Taste: Not too bad, but kinda harsh all thruout

Ash: Flakey ash, infrequent needing of ashing

Time: 30-45 or so min

Sultan Quicklites

Lighting: Quick. 10 or so seconds with a lighter. I noticed that the chemicals burn slower than 3K, but required less blowing on it, it lit thru and thru quicker

Smell: Chemicals with lighting, less when lit

Taste: Ashy, chem taste thruout, but not too bad

Ash: Thicker ash, not required too often

Time: 20 or so min, not long enough Edited by garykainz

• 1 month later...
Three Kings 33mm Coals
Lighting: Pretty quick , about 1 min or so for it to be fully red and ashed.

Smell: Feint Chemicals with lighting, less when lit

Taste: Not bad, you cant really taste it.

Ash: Loose and fat, downside.

Time: 45-1hr.

Durability and Burn: They arent that durable.. they break really easily and one sometimes is too little, and two is someitmes too hot. Hard to get hte sweet spot with these.

7/10

Golden Coals

Lighting: Same as three kings

Smell: Chemicals with lighting, less when lit

Taste: None, it is wonderful

Ash: Very little ash.

Time: 55mins- 1hr

Durability and Burn: Amazing, I should of bought a pack of 100 of these instead of the 3k. These are more durable , compatible with more coals, and just generally better!

10/10

Three Kings 33mm Coals
Lighting: Very easy with a zippo or bic lighter. Just a few seconds. Lighting is a bit patchy but blowing on them for a few seconds takes care of it.

Smell: Typical QL smell when igniting. Goes away when done.

Taste: None at all if black is completely done.

Heat: Great heat. One is all that is needed to smoke a bowl of AF. Start off in the middle till it gets going then, move off to the sides and rotate every 10 minutes or so.

Ash: Loose, white, and a lot.

Time: 45min to an hour. Varies with the number of people smoking.

Overall: They tend to break a majority of the time. I don't mind using them and I'd definitely buy another box but I prefer Pharaoh's Golden Elites off of South Smoke.

9/10 Edited by MechAnt

• 2 months later...
3-Kings
33mm

pretty good. not too much flavor after you get them lit up all the way. they don't burn very hot, so you have to use more than one at a time. Belgian coals burn hotter, so for heat, belgian coals beat 3-kings.

but in the headahce department, 3-Kings beat Belgian. i used 3-kings before, then switched to belgians and started getting headahces. now, i smoke naturals, and there's no problem. tried 3-kings again and no problem.

3-Kings: 7 out of 10 Edited by Dom

• 4 weeks later...
Three Kings Charcoals

Duration: 30-45 mins

Ease of lighting: Holding a lighter over them it takes about 2 minutes for me to get them ready, not bad

Heat: These pack pretty good heat, I start out with 2 on the head and then when they go out, I can light up one and move it around the head. I've had 4 last me a good 2.5 hours smoking.

Taste: They dont leave a foul taste, but if you quickly switch between Exoticas and these (which I did experimentally) you notice that these have a tiny bit of a funny sort of taste afterward. But if you used these straight through the bowl, you wouldnt notice it at all.

Smell: These have a bit of a smell when you light them. I had to hold them far away from me when I lit them because I didnt want to breath the fumes.

Overall: 8.5/10. I'd recommend them as far as quick lights are concerned, they hardly impart any taste on the shisha. But if you are used to Exoticas or coals that dont impart any taste period, these might not be good for you and I'd stick to the Exoticas.

• 4 weeks later...
Three Kings
33mm
Burn good for the first 1/2 of the coal, after that, garbage. Hadn't affected my shish flavor or experience at all. Duration: 20mins(till they are useless)
40cm
Great coal, but have to keep putting the butane to them(they burn funny for me unless I use another coal with them). They would burn top to bottom, bottom usually doesnt stay ignited well for me.Duration: Roughly 60-80 mins
Both coals shatter on me.
Starlight 33mm
Best coals for me so far. Hasn't affected my experience poorly yet. Easy light, easy maintenance. Duration: Roughly 40 mins

Havana(really really small ones)
Work great, rather than having to break up coals. No harsh taste and hardly any odor. No much sparks on the light. Duration: Roughly 20mins

Golden Coals 33mm
Mine affected the flavor a little at the start and I had some issues with keeping the light on the occasional coal. Duration: 50 mins

3Kings 6/10
Starlight 9.8/10
Golden Coals 8.5/10
Havana 10/10

I've been using the golden coals that came with my new hookah the most. They smell pretty bad and taste pretty terrible though. Seem to last a long time and light easy though. 45 minutes to an hour.

The quick lights that seem to work best for me are three kings. They last anywhere from 40 to 50 minutes and don't have a noticeable smell or taste. Edited by St. Goodypants

• 3 weeks later...
3 Kings

Ease- Super easy and of course, quick

Smell- only while it's "warming up" or otherwise burning off the caoting

Taste- no taste

Ash- slightly loose but otherwise easy to remove

They really seem to last almost an hour when I'm smoking on my own even without a wind gaurd.

I was hesitant at first to get quick lights but did so out of neccessity one night. I'm glad I did so I got a whole box at a local for about $15. So far my favorite.

Overall- 9/10

3 Kings

Duration
:45 to an hour

Ease of Lighting: quick and easy

Smell : smell when its first lightning, but goes away after its all lit up.

Ash : clumps together nicely, but ashes a lot.

Shape: breaks easily

Heat: good heat

Overall: 8.5/10 wonderful quicklites, just breaks too easily.

3 Kings (copying format of review for ease...)

Duration
:usually around 45 minutes

Ease of Lighting: relatively easy, but not quite as easy as others. however, this means less harmful chemicals

Smell : smell to begin with, leaves quickly

Ash : moderate ash, not fine at all, easy to remove

Heat: burns slightly hotter than other quicklites ive used, but at a good constant temperature

Overall: 9 I have, and will buy these again

• 2 months later...
3 Kings (40mm)

Duration
: 30-40min
Ease of Lighting: quick and easy

Smell : I don't notice any smell since I always light them outside on my balcony
Ash : clumps together nicely, but ashes a lot.

Shape: breaks easily

Heat: good heat

Overall: 7/10 alot better than Rollands QL's. They do take a a bit to ash over. I'll keep some around for convenience but I think I'm going to make the switch to either Exoticas or Coco-naras.

• 2 months later...
3 kings QL

I just got these coals in and am smoking with them for the first time, QUITE a step up from the Rollands my shop had in.

ease of lighting: Very easy to light, spark quickly and only need a little blowing to become completely red. Immediately after lighting alot of it is red to begin with.

Smell: Let off some smell during lighting, (MUCH less than rollands, haha) but not alot.

taste: Can't taste anything in my smoke after being completely lit.

Length: Last quite a while, lit 2 coals and smoked with them, and they last a pretty long time, although I didn't keep track of exactly how long.

Ashing: Ash very well, only need ashed about 2-3 times per session, and they ash uniformly and stay together until you ash them. They don't fall into the tobacco

Overall: VERY satisfied with these, ALOT less hassle than The Exotica naturals I was using.

• 1 month later...
3 kings 40mm is good but i always like to snap mine in half and put one on one side and the other lit half on the other side of the bowl with the crack twards the centre of the bowl. all and all, they smoke like hell when they light, there really easy to light but are huge on the heat output and tend to burn the shisha if not broken up. Also is a very small hint of taste at the end of the session but during i cant taste it, i just smell a weird burning smell of the coal in the wind and not through the pipe.

Ok, I just picked up two rolls of 3 Kings from my local hookah lounge last Friday. I needed some cheap coals to get me through the weekend (Had some people over). Man, was I upset!

These coals are horrible. First of all, lets talk about the lighting process. I have an old coil stove so I just light my usual coals (Golden Japs) on there while I set up my hookah. Well, I was in the kitchen, doing my thing, setting up two hookahs with some Starbuzz. Everybody was sitting in the living room talking and just having a good time when I hear, "What the hell is that?!". I turn around and see that these coals have turned into freaking fireworks, sending sparks and ash everywhere. Now, I had heard 3 kings spark but I was expecting a little random spark like my Golden Japs--this was just insane!

Anyway, I let them sit for a couple seconds longer and the sparks died down and they lit like normal. They smelled like crap which made me even more suspicious of these coals. I threw them onto my hookahs and lit them up. Now onto the worst aspect of these coals, the taste.

I would say these coals are possibly magic because they have this uncanny ability to turn great tasting shisha into crap--crap covered crap with a crap filling. Gah! They tasted so bad. Luckily I was able to scrounge up some of my reserve Golden Japs and they saved the night but man those coals suck.

Overall, I would give these coals a 3/10 (To get anything lower, they would have to not put off any heat at all). I know these coals are cheap and that's why people buy them but please, just use the Golden Japs, they cost a little more but you get such a better experience from them.

***Edit: MechAnt gave me some tips on how to better smoke these so I'm going to try them out today and see how it works out. Hopefully I can get a good session out of them because I really do want to like these coals, they're so easy to get. haha*** Edited by ColibriDon

• 11 months later...
3Kings 33mm

Admittedly, these are the only coals I've ever used, so I don't have a huge frame of reference. That said, I've never had any problems with these coals. Easy to light, smell and smoke die down quickly, only a hint of taste before the tobacco smoke starts flowing. I do find that they have a high heat output, so breaking a coal in half helps keep the shisha form burning so quickly.

Another huge bonus: I bought a box of 3kings that sat, unused, in a closet for two years. I finally used them again last night, and they still work great!

• 6 months later...
[size="5"]Three Kings Quick-Lights

[size="3"]Lighting. Solid, and convinient. 15-20 seconds with a constant bic/zippo flame and your set.

Smell: The chemical coating is very irritating when it comes to the smell. However, it dissapates quickly.

Taste: A sort of chemical coating might line your mouth at the very beginning of the session. Taste/effect lasts no more than two minutes, and your set to enjoy.

Ash: A good solid burn, but be careful. The ash will tend to smolder out the coal, and actually burn quicker under all the ash. More than my usual staple, Sultan coals.

Overall: 8.7/10 A solid coal with very convienient lighting, smoking, and price tends to stay moderately low. My problem with the coals is that they tend to A) Have alot of high matenience ashing, and B) hold alot of chemical coating. Other than that, this is easily one fo the top three quicklights in my book.[/size][/size]

• 2 years later...
I usually keep a roll or two for emergencies incase i run out of naturals and dont notice i'm low. Or when i travel around some or visit a friend's house or camping they're nice.

Smell: smell like all other quicklights at first, but goes away rather quickly.

Ash: quite a bit of ash, have to ash them frequently.

Heat: They're a bit too hot for my liking, too hard to spread them out around the bow. I usually use 3 naturals around the rim, bu with 3 kings i need to use one broken in half and split to oppsite sides of the edge.

Taste: not sure how eveyone thinks there is no taste but there is some for me. It's faint, but just has that fresh lit charcoal barbcue lighterfluid taste, faint, but it's there.

Pros: Burn hot, Very easy to light, easy to break in half, burn off with little flavor added, last quite a while if you keep them ashed

Cons: Burn hot, Still do leave a bit of that fuel taste for me even when burned off fully, I find it hard to distribute heat well with only 2 half pieces, i'm used to using 3 naturals. My biggest gripe is, when trying to light them on the stove (I do that so i dont risk dropping it while lighting, dont want to burn my carpet) they have a tendency to "burst" apart, they kinda flake in half down the middle of the disk and blow sparks around, i'm assuming it's because its just heating too quickly.