Zoghal Ghaleb Natural Lemonwood Lump Coals

benny

Brand: Zoghal Ghaleb Coals

Ease of lighting: No more then 45 seconds infront of my Bernzomatic torch

Smell: none

Taste: none

Longevity: 40 mins or thereabouts. Not too much ash. Ashes uniformly. Doesnt shatter into crappy little pieces when u do ash it.

Personal rant: These are by far my coal of choice from now on. Theyre interesting in that i only heated the base of them, and put it on with 2/3 of it still black. I figured it would taste soapy, but not at all!

Smoked beautifully, and slowly heated itself thoroughly. Perfect size. The dome on the underside means not too much foil contact, which meant less burning of shisha. Stayed alight the whole time.

Thick smoke on Nakhla melon and AF rose, and AF two apples. Was using my Mya Qt with a standard QT bowl.

Best Non Self lighting coal ive ever used. 10/10

Pics as per other thread:

[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/bennaus/DSC00984.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/bennaus/DSC00985.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n111/bennaus/DSC00986.jpg[/img]

• 9 months later...
Zoghal Ghaleb

Cost: free sample

Appearance: Same shape as quick lights/Small rectangular pieces

Smell/Taste: None - before or after lighting.

Ease of Lighting/Method: Stove. Took a a few minutes

Ash: Light powder, fine ash. Doesn't ash too much/often.

Heat/Duration: Excellent heat. About 45 minutes/coal

I second benny's opinion re: these coals. The shape is esp. important seeing as they are less like to fall than the round sticks.
Had one coal that was a bit brittle and fractured after being lit but this may have been from being banged about while being shipped.

• 9 months later...
Zoghal Ghaleb Coals

Smell
: These coals do have a slight smell to them as they start to light up on my stove.

Taste: I've use about half a box of these and I haven't noted any taste to my shisha

Lighting: I used my stove to light these. I just turn it on hi and lay the coals on there while I prepare my hookah. They do take about 8-10 minutes to be fully lit. A couple of times the coals would start to pop and crackle

Ash: They do ash quiet a bit. More than exoticas

Usability: I like the shape of these they're formed in rectangles. Each brick is about the length of of a 1/4 of a stick of Exotica but it's slightly wider. Each coal last about 40-45 minutes.

Overall: I think I like Exoticas a bit more. Some of the pros for these coals are that I can get them at a local Middle Eastern store just 3 blocks from my house at $7 a box. They have a few different brands to try so I'll trying those out. Plus the fact that there's a hot girl thirl helps. cool.gif Overall I would give these coals a 7.5/10. The last few times I used them they broken in half when I try to know of the ash also the spot touching the foil turns dark so I have to flip them.

• 2 years later...
[b]Zoghal Ghaleb Natural Lemon Wood Charcoal[/b]
[b]
[/b]
[color=#1C2837][size=2][b]Brand[/b][b] [/b]- Zoghal Ghaleb[/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"][b]Origin[/b] - Iran[/color][/size]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"]
[/color][/size]
[b][color=#1C2837][size=2][b]Ease of Lighting[/b] - 4; needs five minutes plus on a gas cooker or fire. Wouldn't want to light this with a torch. Messy to handle.
[b]Smell[/b] - 9; no real impact when FULLY lit; slight smell when lighting.
[b]Taste[/b] - 9; no real impact when FULLY lit; noticeable if coals are used too quickly
[b]Heat[/b] - 9; not as hot as high-density finger coals, but much hotter than quick-lites. Just the right amount of heat, if managed well.
[b]Ash[/b] - 6; lots of light, fluffy ash that easily blows everywhere. Good for smoking outside, methinks. Easy to ash off, with care.
[b]Longevity[/b] - 7; depending on size, an hour to an hour and a half is possible.
[b]Price[/b] - 2; at £5.50 per kilo, it's more than double the price of olive wood finger coal from the same retailer. But, I like it none the less.
[b]Size Consistency[/b] - 4; plenty of fist-sized lumps in there. I quite like the variability, and have a good hammer...[/size][/color][/b]
[color=#1C2837][size=2][b]Eco-friendliness[/b] - 2; hardwood is burned for the purpose, and packaged in a sealed plastic bag inside a corrugated plastic box. Natural it may be, green it ain't. The packaging in question dates from 2005, so there is every chance they might have improved it since then (if indeed they still manufacture it; they mostly seem to be advertising briquette coals these days).[/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1C2837"]
[/color][/size]
[color=#1C2837][size=2][b]Overall:[/b] 9/10 - in spite of the negatives above, I love this charcoal. It's similar to what the Lebanese-run shisha cafes I've been to use, and it seems to give a great smoke with easier heat/ash management than the finger coals. It stays where it's put, too. Yes, it's an expensive, slow, messy pain-in-the-ass of a charcoal to use, but for the authentic shisha experience, it's a must. [/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[b][color=#1C2837][size=2][/size][/color][/b]