Best of the West Natural Mesquite Lump Coals

Codename067

I buy 'Best of the West' 100% Natural Mesquite charcoal.

Lighting - 7/10

Don’t expect this it light up in 5 minutes. This will take some work. I use a single burner, I place a good 5-6 pieces of the charcoals on the burner and wait 5 mins, then turn them around for another 5 minutes, then I put these coals in my small grill [for hookah] and I start fanning them using a piece of cardboard box. Takes some time, but its worth it.

Smell - 6/10
Smells bad when they are on the burner, so you definitely need to do this outside of you house. I smoke in my garage and I do my coals outside every time, so no problem for me.

Taste - 9/10

I can give it a 10 because its not absolutely taste free. There is LITTLE to no taste on these coals once they are completely lit, and only when they are completely lit.

Heat - 10/10

Hot, hot, hot. The heat these coals produce is insane. This is good because it allows you to use less coals while producing the same amount of heat as other coals, but with less charcoal. Great heat.

Ash - 6/10

Well, this is natural, so expect a decent amount of ash through out your sessions.

Longevity - 9/10

These last a while. Let me tell you, one coal the size of coco-nara will last a good hr. But you are buying this stuff in bulk, you are getting 40 lbs for 12 dollars, so you can always throw on an extra coal.

Price - 10/10
Compared to how much you get, 40 lbs, its -really- cheap. $12 a bag.

Size Consistency - 6/10

Many of the coals are HUGE blocks of trees. You definitely need to have a hammer handy because you will be doing a lot of breaking. A lot.

Overall - 9/10
The average should be 8/10, but these coals are too damn good. Great charcoals over all. They always deliver. You really cant get better than these at the price its being offered at. 100% Natural, cheap, the bag lasts a WHILE [don’t forget, 40 lbs], and they are very consistent with the heat. Great over all. I would recommend this to anyone and everyone. Save money, get more [great] coals. You win.