Al-Wady Lemonwood Natural Lump Coals

pitzeleh8

Al-Wady lemonwood charcoal

I get this for $1.99/bag. Comes in medium-sized orange plastic bag with Arabic on one side and English on the opposite. Most folks I've spoken to at various Arab groceries recommend this above all other coals. I prefer Baroody or Sultan Easy-lite for natural reconstituted coals, but as far as natural lump coals go, these are wonderful. As with all lump coals, I would strongly recommend a coal carrier/swing for lighting (available at some Arab grocers; they look like half of a large metal can with holes punched in the bottom and a long handle that is hooked at the top. You place the coals in it, leave them to heat for a while over a gas stove, then--ideally--take it outside and swing the coals around in it to ensure they are heated all the way through). No real taste, pleasant smell. They do not last as long as reconstituted natural coals but they are much, much cheaper.

• 3 years later...
I got a bag of this stuff for $2. These aren't dense and very easy to break apart. They don't last as long as processed natural coals but if you don't mind having to light coals more often, these are a steal. These have no smell and burn cleanly. These just ash like crazy though.

Grade: 3/5.