Razan Natural Coconut Coals

Chreees

Razan Coconut Natural Coals

Lighting: Lit them on a coil-burner stove. 5 minutes, flipped, another 5 minutes. They were good to go.

Odor: A bit more than CCNs. On par with AF Cocos.

Taste: Noticeable, more-so than CCNs, about on par with AF Cocos, but not as bad as CH Nattys.

Duration: Started at 6:22PM, and had barely any smoke at 7:40PM. So 78 minutes total duration.

Ash: Not too bad. Pretty much like AF Cocos, not as clean as CCNs.

Heat management: Easy. Didn’t touch them until about 30 minutes in. Ashed them, flipped them, put them in the exact same spot on the bowl. Windcover went on at this point.

Rating: 9/10. Overall, they’re great coals. I still like CCN best, but these are a good alternative, especially since you get 115 coals for $13.95 – so a buck less and you get 7 more coals. Not bad, not bad at all. Would gladly buy them.

• Upvote 1

[color=#1C2837][size=2]Razan Coconut Natural Coals (Sample) Thanks Mahir![/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Shape: Mostly squares. one thing I really liked was that one side (an end) was ABNORMALLY flat. this is great; on my micro phunnel, they'll stand on their edges, which I like. a couple were more parallelogram than square, but no complaints from me. I cut one, using my usual method-aka pocketknife-and it was pretty simple. Clean break, didn't really have to push down hard. I didn't cut them all in half, but based on the population sample they weren't as bad to cut as CCNs.

Lighting: Lit them on a coil-burner stove. Flash (where a corona of flame appears on the coals) was at 4:48. Ready to go in 6:30 after being flipped.

Odor: A bit more than CCNs. Caught a whiff of what actually smelled like coconut. Not a bad smell, but noticeable.

Taste: Not really that noticeable, to me about on-par with CCNs. I was smoking KCherry and Static Starlight though, so pretty potent flavors.

Duration: Started at 7:18 PM, and had barely any smoke at 8:29 I'd gotten ready to start another round. PM. So 71 minutes-not too bad. I kid; that's hella long with as often as I pull.

Ash: Not too bad. A little more ash than CCNs.

Heat management: Cake. Put them on, flip em' once or twice. handle a windcover (in my case, a hat made of foil) quite well.

Rating: 9/10. Gotta knock off a point for smell, since I'm paranoid they'll set off the fire alarm. Note: I am not saying it's unpleasant. Quite the opposite, actually. Just have to be a bit more careful. [/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]All in all, for the price I will be purchasing more of these--the quality is really close to CCN, but cheaper and you get more/box. Definitely worth a try. [/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2] [/size][/color]

Razan Coconut Coals

Test setups: KM Sig, Narbish hose and a small phunnel bowl.

[u]Lighting[/u] - It takes roughly 5-6 minutes on each side to get acceptably lit. There are some dull spots on the sides of the coal towards the center of the face. I'm guessing the density of the coal leads to more time on the burner.
[u]
Heat[/u] - I feel that they don't burn as hot as other coconut coals, but hotter than japanese coals.
[u]
Flavor[/u] - This is odd. The flavor is slight. If you're smoking a brand that has a heavy flavor, like Nakhla or some flavors of AF, it's hardly discernable. If it's a cleaner flavor like Tangiers, you can tell it's there.
[u]
Ash[/u] - The ash is a mix of coconara's fine grain and initial iteration of CH's sand. The ash does cling to the coal, so you'll need to knock it off via the tray. A light tap should suffice, unlike CH's "slam".
[u]
Length[/u] - At a relaxed pace, with some extended breaks in between pulls, these coals have gone upwards of 90 minutes. However, at a more aggressive pace 60-70 minutes is not unreasonable.
[u]
Price[/u] - I received a free 10-piece sample from Mahir at NazarHookah.
[u]
Final Thoughts:[/u] The biggest selling point for these coals is the longevity. It's negatives are the slight taste added to your session and the ashing. Although, these issues are hardly a deal breaker. I've run 2 sessions with Nakhla. The coals performed admirably and with heat tolerant tobacco, they are an ease with heat management. The one and only bowl of Tangiers had some drawbacks. As stated, the added flavor to the smoke was noticeable. Also, heat management isn't as worry free. They seem to provide less heat than CCNs and CHs, but more than Canarys. Another thing to note, I don't think these are pure coconut coals. When lighting, the smell is that of some chemical or mineral combustion. It lacks the "wood fire" aroma and instead, you get the smell of burned treated wood or some sort of accelarant. I'm not saying for certain this is the case, but it's something I've observed.

Overall, if you're looking for a coconut coal, Razan coals would be a good choice provided they're cheaper than CCN's. If they're the same price, I think you'd be happier with the CCNs. I prefer these over CHs, but not by much. Again, if these are cheaper than CH's, I'd go with the Razan's. If they're more expensive, go with the CHs. Yep, it's basically just choose which one is cheaper all around.

Would I stock these? Nope. I still prefer my Canarys over everything, but only due to the fact that I can light them off one another and heat management is easier. If you're a canary or other japanese coal fan, Razan's aren't any reason to switch to coconuts. Edited by Arcane

[color=#1C2837][size=2]Razan Coconut Natural Coals[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]***Received 10pc free sample***[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size="1"]Format mostly stolen from Chris :][/size]

[size="2"]Lighting: Didn't time it, but took about the same amount of time or a bit longer on my coil stove than a CCN.[/size]

[size="2"]Odor: Nothing noticable for me.[/size]

[size="2"]Taste: I don't notice a taste except for occasionally in the first few puffs. It seems to depend on the shisha I'm smoking and whether it could overpower the coal taste (which I felt was minor anyway).[/size]

[size="2"]Duration: I didn't time, but my suspicions that they were lasting longer than my usual CCNs were confirmed by other reviews[/size]

[size="2"]Ash: More than CCNs, but stays intact like CCNs (and unlike CH nats tend to). Ash is grey, no brownness.[/size]

[size="2"]Heat: As Arcane said, I think these are a little cooler than CCNs, so I found myself putting the tiniest bit more coal on than I would with CCNs.[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Cutting: I'm a coal splitter, and I found Razans to be a little bit more difficult to cut than CCNs. Since they burn longer, I take it this is due to density. They split cleanly for the most part (as do CCNs), just took more force.

Rating: 9/10. I like them a lot, and would buy them over CCNs - once I run out of my stockpile - if I could get them cheaper (like the 5-box bulk CCN discount on some sites). I like them very much - still deciding if I like them more or less than CCNs. Each have their pros and cons.[/size][/color]

Razan Coconut Coal Sample Pack (Nazarhookah)

I have mixed feelings about these coals, while in many respects they equal the acclaimed Coconara, in the most important factor, taste (or lack there of), they did not.

[b]Time[/b]: The lighting time is comparable to most coconut coals, close to 8 minutes.

[b]Smell[/b]: Since I smoke outside the smell was not noticeable, and certainly never a factor for me.

[b]Ash[/b]: The ash, as described by arcane was a mix of CH coals and coconaras, although much closer to the Coconara. The ash was much less sticky than CH but took more than just lifting the coal to ash it as is the case with Coconaras. I feel like the ash differences were minimal and unlike CH, I did not find them to be in any way a drawback.

[b]Heat[/b]: The coals heat was comparable to the Coconara flats, perfect cut in half for a mini or a small, but provides too much heat in its full shape.

[b]Duration[/b]: Comparable to other coconut coals

[b]Cutting[/b]: Non issue, even my retarded coal midget was able to cut the coals in half (coconaras seem to plague him with issues)

[b]Taste[/b]: This was the coals only drawback, the whole point of smoking a natural coal is to get the cleanest taste possible. If the flavor is in anyway affected I think points should be deducted. While every instalight coal I have used provides more of a muddling in the flavor than these, it was still evident. Of the three flavors I smoked, two of them (Tang Indian Summer, SB Pineapple) retained there original flavor, but where covered by a sooty taste. The third flavor (Tang Kashmir/Blue Flower) was entirely unaffected. The taste seemed to die down as the coals decreased. While the taste may have been on error on my part, one of the sessions I ran out of coals and switched halfway through, the flavor was completely regained.

[b]Price[/b]: Sounds like a kilo of these will be a couple dollars cheaper than most sites sell coconaras. Competitive coals, competitively priced.

My mixed feelings stem primarily from the the taste, as that is the coals only drawback. If you are switching from instalights, the improvement would be obvious. If you are switching from coconaras, you might be a little let down.

Point score: 8-8.5/10 (Considerably better than CH, slightly worse than Coconara)

Razan Coconut Natural Coals
Received 10pc free sample

Lighting: I'm bad with timing things, but seemed like the average length to light a coconut coal.

Odor: Nothing more than a Coconara lighting. I don't care what people say, all coals give off a slight smell when lighting, and these weren't bad at all.

Taste: I read a few other reviews that people were getting a taste, but I didn't notice anything significant. Maybe right around the first time I flipped them, there was a slight taste, but nothing that ruined the session and didn't go away once I started smoking again.

Duration: Bad with timing, but I'm sure I smoked these around an hour with 3 other friends. We pulled the coals off the bowl because we were tired of smoking and it seemed like the bowl would have still smoked fine. We added a windcover I'd say around 45 minutes into the session.

Ash: Easy to ash the coals, not a big mess there.

Heat:I liked the fact that these are coconut coals and they don't burn incredibly hot, especially for how dense they are. I'd put them close to Exoticas, which are my goto coal.

Cutting: Haven't tried to cut them yet, have a coal saved for my glass bowl that I'm going to smoke when I get some Tangiers.

Rating: 9/10. I give it a 9, because I don't think anythings really perfect, but these are great coals. I don't really like coconut coals at all, and actually hate coconaras with a passion, but these were really good coals. The main thing that I loved about these coals was the fact that the bottoms didn't seem to go out as bad as Coconaras. Once I give them a go with Tangiers on my glass bowl that I normally smoke out of and prefer Coconara halves on vs my normal Exoticas I'll have a real good idea of how much I like the coals. All that being said, I think these are some really good coals, and would probably pick some up again.

• 1 month later...
Razan Coconut Coals

Lighting: Didn't keep track, i just flipped em when i thought it was time, took maybe a minute more than CCN flats.

Odor: nicer than CCN, IMO, still there a little like CCN but the smell from Razan is sweeter(like, real coconuts) so more bearable

Taste: I get NONE AT all

Duaration: AT LEAST an hour of being able to actually use em, then they get down to a quater of original size and then i put on another coal

Ash: FUCKIN PERFECT. better than ANY FUCKIN COAL I have EVERRRRRRR used. The ash sticks on perfectly, better than ccn, won't fall off in the middle of taking a rip. When u pick it up, it still doesn't fall but ONE(and i mean ONE) tap is all you need, ALL the ash falls. NO ASH is stuck on AT ALL, not even a TINY TINY TIDBIT. which makes them better than CCN & CCM

Heat: I can't really compare between other coals as if its too hot or not hot enuf, i just move coals so i never notice but it seemed to be JUST ON POINT for EVERYTHING i smoke.

Heat Management: Touched the coals like 4 times through out a 2-hour session

Rating: 11/10 ;-)

I REALLLLYYYYY love em thats end of story. I bought a case from Mahir the other day and ALLLLL my friend's love em! Love em so much, i gotta order another case cuz they stole it all...

Long story short: Perfect heat, perfect ashing(literally), and the duration was longer than any other coal i have used
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Razan Coconut Coals

Test setups: KM Kamanja Star, Nammor Hose, HJ mini phunnel

Lighting - I used a coil burning stove, took about 5 minutes on each side.

Heat - Didn't have any problem with the heat. I had to flip them during the session, but that is nothing I don't have to do with any other coals.

Flavor - Slight flavor, but not enough to throw off my smoke.

Ash - Very fine ash, knocks off very easily.

Length - I used three coals and pull on a pretty regular basis. They lasted me about 70 minutes.

Price - I received a free 10-piece sample from Mahir at NazarHookah.

Final Thoughts: These are a good coal at a good price. I will honestly stay with my current brand but these will quickly become my number two choice at the price. I will give a full box a try as I only got three bowls in on the sample pack. Though it seems like everyone's reviews are the same it is safe to say that these will be giving other companies a run for their money. Very good product overall 9/10

• 5 months later...
[color=#ff0000][size=5][b]Razan Coconut Coals[/b][/size][/color]

[b]Average Coal Size:[/b] 2.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.0cm
[b]Average Coal Weight:[/b] 9g
[b]Smoking Temperature Peak:[/b] 637.4˚F

[b]Packaging:[/b] N/A Was a Sample Bag
[b]Size Consistency:[/b] Varies from square to slightly trapezoid
[b]Cutting Ease: [/b]A little force is needed.
[b]Cutting Strength:[/b] Ashes slightly but never did get a Clean cut, but still good enough to use.

[b]Lighting Time:[/b] Flipped when lighting at 5:54 minutes; done at 8:51 minutes.
[b]Smell During Lighting:[/b] Slight Ashy Wood Smell.
[b]Smell During Smoking:[/b] Slight smell for the first 10 minutes.

[b]Taste:[/b] None.
[b]Ash: [/b]Concrete Grey. Ash stays in place perfectly
[b]Longevity:[/b] 70 minutes before the coals became too small to smoke well
[b]Heat Management: [/b]Flipped at 42 minutes, Windcover at 57 minutes

[b]Purchased From: [/b]Sample from Mahir at NazarHookah.com

[b]Overall:[/b] 9/10 These are decent coals. The Smell when lighting isn’t as bad as say the old CH coals, but it’s there. The shape consistency is a little disappointing but I remember Coconaras where that way for a while. I think with some slight improvements over time like most coals have. Razan will be a big contender.