Krypton Natural Coconut Coals

Krypton Natural Coconut Coals

Found locally at 8 dollars for a kilo, why not try em?

- Made in Indonesia

- Look JUST like CH nat cocos, slightly imperfect in shape and fairly porous

- Almost NO smell and what there was was fairly pleasant and nutty

- About 8-9 minutes to light

- minimal ashing, was actually VERY impressed with this, the ash kept shape and didnt fall off at all.

Now with all this taken into consideration I would rate this highly as a cheap alternative to coconaras IF I COULD HAVE KEPT THEM LIT AT ALL!

I lit 2 coals to put atop a traditional egyptian bowl full of Zaghloul and they seemed to start going out as soon as I started to smoke with them. Within 15 minutes they were completely extinguished. I had to relight them fully twice over and decided to give up and use my trusty exoticas. My friend Eric bought a box too (at my encouragement, oops) and had the exact same problems.

Bummer. If anyone has tips as to keeping coconut coals lit when they don't seem to want to, please PM me as I'd rather not just throw the box away. IF these would stay lit they would be great coals.

Edit - USER ERROR!!!

After seeking advice on how to keep coconut coals better lit I let them sit on the stove for an extra couple of minutes and periodically used a windcover and OH MAN!!!!! These coals have reached the afformentioned potential for greatness that I was hoping for. Very low ash, long lasting, no imparted taste. 10/10, these will be my go to coal when I'm out of exoticas. Everything people rave about coconaras but at 8 bucks a kilo I'm thinking a MUCH better deal. Pics of them will come when I can.

• 3 years later...
-Picked up a kilo for about $9. Not too bad
-Cardboard box with the coals wrapped in plastic
-All uniform in shape, close to CCN cubes
-Easy lighting, about 4 minutes a side, no smell at all
-Minimal amounts of gray ash
-Lasted about 45 minutes before I put new ones on the burner
-Absolutely no taste imparted!
-Overall, 10/10! I love these coals! Just as good if not better than CCN! If you see a box, pick them up!