Starlight Natural Coconut Coals

OC4111

Starlight Coconut Coal (available at MNH)

http://mnhookahs.com/product_info.php?cPat...products_id=215

Smell
:I opened the box and there was no smell and no smell when I was lighting them.

Ease of Lighting - These light up a bit quicker the coco naras. approx 5-7 minutes

Heat - Really good heat. I use 2 of these on a MNH Jet Glass funnell and glass screen and they work just fine.

Flavor
No noticeable flavor imparted onto the shisha.

Ash - The ash isn't too bad. Matter of fact they ash like exoticas. The ash is a grey color and it sticks pretty well to the coal. all it takes is a drop into the ashtray to knock it off. they don't turn black on the side that's touching the screen.

Long lasting? : These last a pretty decent amount of time. a little over 45 minutes maybe more depending on whether or not I use a windcover

Price - box of 70pcs for 7.99. I bought 2 boxes. 140pcs for $16 vs 84pcs for $14-$15 for coconaras. Based on a per coal price these are a better deal

Bottom Line - I'm going to give these a 9/10. I heard about thise from a thread Victim had started and MNH said they were going to start carrying them. So I figured I'd try them out. I'm gald I did. To me these are a better deal than coco naras for a coal that last almost as long. Now that other companies are coming out with coconut coals. coco nara may have to start lowering their prices to match.

• 1 month later...
Starlight Coconut cubes

Lighting - Around 5 minutes on an electric burner. This brand of coco coal is also very easily lit with a torch.

Heat
- Each piece puts out a good amount of heat and rarely unlights the side that is facing down.

Flavor
- None at all.

Ash
- Its very clumpy, so even if you prefer big holes in your foil its still easy to keep the ash from going into your bowl.

Length
- Fifty minutes to an hour with 3-4 people smoking.

Price
-I picked them up locally from Patterson, NJ at two different shops for $5 and $3.75 per 70 piece box.

Score
- 10/10, They're everything a good coal should be. Don't hesitate to try them because of the "starlight" brand either since their QL's are less than great.

• 1 year later...
Starlight Coconut Coals

Lighting: Coil burner or stove. I do 5 minutes, flip, another 5 minutes.

Odor: A slight odor while lighting.

Taste: Oh, you can definitely taste these while smoking. I purged more often with these than I normally do.

Duration: Eh, like 30-45 minutes. Could've been better.

Ash: Similar to Golden Canaries... Really flaky, and when you're done smoking everything on your foil and in your tray is black.

Rating: 7/10. These coals are not the best, but they work. First thing that ticked me off was one of the coals split in half one way, then the other coal split in half the other way, leaving me with one coal that looked like I had split it with a knife, and the other looked like two slabs of coal. Just irked me. But for the price ($4.99 for 72 ct. at my local shop) I guess you can't complain too much. They get the job done, and actually put out very good clouds.

• 6 months later...
Starlight Coconut Coals

Shape: These are a nice shape that don't need to be cut at all. I guess it's the defacto shape that CN, Nazar coals, and CH coals use where it is a square shape but not too tall to be considered a cube. They are perfectly smoothed on all faces with sharp edges. Not "porous" textured like CNs or CHs.

Lighting: Coil burner. Once it is half way lit, I flip and let it get hot enough so a flame begins to build. Lights at an average rate of about 5-6 minutes.

Odor: No odor when lighting.

Taste: No taste at all.

Duration: Around an hour.

Ash: These ash pretty well by staying intact until moved.

Rating: 8/10. These last a decent amount of time. Would give it a 9/10 if they didn't come in a box of 72. They are similarly priced as Cns or Chs but you don't get as many in a box. The previously mentioned coals (including Nazar) come with at least 110+ coals.

• 3 weeks later...
[color=#1C2837][size=2]These are the coals that I usually use.

Shape: Square.

Lighting: Coil burner. I do 4 minutes on one side, two minutes on the other.

Odor: Faint.

Taste: None.

Duration: Mine Last me an hour. I usually start with two, and when they get small add an extra one.

Ash: Only falls off when i drop it over the coal carrier.

Rating: 9/10. I like these coals. They're cheaper than Coconara, which I think is a little over rated for the price. Besides that I don't really see the difference between the two. My only beef is that sometimes they pop, or explode... and I have had a bad batch that always broke in half.[/size][/color]

• 4 months later...
[b][size="4"]Starlight Coconut Coals[/size]

[u]Price/Amount/Packaging[/u]
[/b]I purchased these from "National Jericho Market", your basic international grocery. They came as a box of 36 for $4.99. This is a HUGE price for so little coals. Simple math shows that for a standard box of 108 coals, I would be spending 15.78 after tax. This is more than any kilo box of coals on the market. Keep in mind the coals are normally ne of the cheapest, so don't be turned off by what I paid for them, seeing as how you probably wouldn't pay the same. They came wrapped in celophane wrapping, thin carboard box and wrapped in celophane in the box. Cheap and flimsy cardboard and plastic, however, the adhesive was very secure, So I wouldn't predict any issues with water damage during shipping/storage if unopened.

[b][u]Size/Consistancy/Quality
[/u][/b]These coals are slightly larger than coconaras, about the size of CH coconut coals. Their made in the rectangular "flat" style of coconut coals. These coals, are literally perfect in shape. no bumps, scratches, cuts, nothing. Literally look like geometric flats. They are the smoothest coconut coals I have ever seen. Their very light, having the same texture and weight of a quicklight disc. The weight of the coal worried me, as it didn't seem to have an substanace to it. Hwever, it was very densely packed, which eased my worries slightly.

[b][u]Lighting: Odor/Time taken/Ease of Lighting
[/u][/b]On the coil burner, these coals take about 4 minutes to light completely sometimes without the need to flip during lighting. They do have a pretty pungant odor, not plesant at all. Overall ease of lighting is EXTREMELY easy. I can put these on the burner an have them hot and ready by the time my bowl is packed if not sooner, without needing flipping sometimes.

[b][u]Heat Output/Coal longengevity/Overall Effeciency of Coal
[/u][/b]Once on the bowl, a great amount of sizzling is heard. These coals put off a pretty good amount of heat. Not as much as coconaras, but still pretty hot. I'm currently using these coals now, and I have to say, these things last ages. They do ash a lot, but still last as long if not longer than cocos. They last long, put off great heat, and need little to mantenience, maybe ashed once of twice. Huge, silky smooth clouds.

[b][u]Taste/Odor During Session
[/u][/b]This is where I was EXTREMELY disappointed. Although there is literally no odor during smoking what so ever, the taste... Dear god. These have the worst taste in a coconut coal I've ever used before. Ever. The taste of the shisha is clearly there, but there is a COMPLETELY obvious taste of coal. I typically breathe out of my nose to test for any coaly flavor, and I have to say, my nose is angry at me. I say the tase is on par with a lump coal, or a very well made quicklight.

[b][u]Overall Thoughts/Rating
[/u][/b]It's extremely irritating to find a coconut coal brand that has perfect shape, smooth impecable texture, desnely packed, extremely low-mantenince, quick lighting, lots of heat with an impressive duration... With a terrible taste. It's like a cruel joke. I wish I could give the other qualities of this coal to other coconut coals I enjoy to perfect them, apart from the awful taste. I think these coals are actually giving me heartburn. The entire reaosn people buy cocnut coals are for no taste/odor so they can actually enjoy the flavor with their session.

[b]The award for best quicklight (that needs a coil burner) in the entire world, hands down, I give these a 9.5/10
[/b]
[b]For being advertised as a coconut coal, me spending good money to not have to use lump coal anymore and then being let down like this, I give them a 5/10. Half ass rating for a half ass job well done.[/b]

• 2 years later...

Starlight Coconut Shell Coals

Bought them in a sore called Nile Deli for only 5$ per 72 coal box go 2 boxes for 10$

Presentation:  Coals were uniform in size, and cut, perfect rectangular shapes. 

Smell
:     I opened the box and there was no smell and a very light smell when i was 1st lighting them

Ease of Lighting - These light up a-lot quicker the coco naras. approx 5 min tops on high heat using a single coil burner.

Heat - Really good heat. I use 2 of these on a 2013 tang small funnel and 1 layer of foil. They burn at a slightly lower temp than coconaras so heat management is a sinch for certain heat sensitive Tangiers tobaccos.

Flavor No noticeable added flavor to my bowl. 

Ash - The ash isn't too bad. they ash a little more than coconaras. but a lot less than shitty leonara coals. On The bright side the ash is a grey color and it sticks pretty well to the coal. all it takes is a drop into the ashtray to knock it off and that's pretty much it.

Long lasting? : These last a pretty decent amount of time. Mine lasted around 50 minutes give or take.

Price - box of 72pcs for $5.00. I bought 2 boxes. 144pcs for $10 vs 108pcs for $16-17 for coconaras. Based on a per coal price these are a much better deal

Bottom Line - I'm going to give these a 9.5 /10. They fit my needs and for a very low price. I can buy them in many local smoke shops the cheapest being a long drive away     :-(     the fact is they are an ease to light and perform a little better than japenese canary tabs and are a lot cheaper than cocos. I may have found my every day coal! ;-) No they don't outperform coconara but they come close and are easily accessible and very cheap. I'd say they are the second best  coconut coal i ever used.  I can also buy coconara coals there for 13$ eventually i will do a full comparison review using both these and coco's simultaneously. 

Edited by A Sharrp SYBIAN