Coconara Coconut Natural Coals

lp640man

image bellow medium funnel left..small on the right..

readyyyyyyyyyy

4th hit..

30 minutes....

final ashing on 3 coals...

So after smoking using these....id say....... In my opinion.........and I stress this is just my " opinion "

- took about 12 minutes to get fully red ( used my electric stove on HIGH) , got temp to reach high then placed my 3 coals on... flipped each 6 min

- used my small funnel, poked holes slightly larger then the shape of the coal, 0 ice in the base, tobbaco = AF golden grape

-durration thick smoke for .5 hour, then got lighter but by this time was able to enjoy the flavor of the tobbacoo for a good .5hr then started to be a more lighter smoke for an hour. But like voski says last about an hour an some but they shrink. So in fairness to the quality of this product i would say they are very good (Size of the coal VS longevity). Nour fingers are huge but dont stay lit for that long and produce tons of ash.

-produces a nice heat, got thick smoke within 3 hits...

-oder = i persoanly noticed a faint oder when lighting, maybe my nose is just sensitive, as far as taste...hmmmm tuf to call maybe a very very faint taste... but to rule out that its just me, more opinions would will be needed...

Overall...impression will be buying again... Last longer then golden coals..alot better then nour or exoticas.....the heat it puts out is very nice... able to get thick smoke right away on 2 coals (using the small phunnel).I added the 3rd coal at the end to keep the thickness . 9.5 /10 overall...

*** Update.......smoked differnt flavors and I dont notice any taste in coals........... Who ever bought these in my opinion wont be disapointed... ashes less....price is good...longevity is not bad...amount of heat it puts off is great on 2 coals...... Only thing from keepin it a 10/10 is that for me it takes about ~12 minutes to get lit on my stove...

So who ever else bought these any comments? Edited by lp640man

Got the small 16 pack and currently have 2 of them sitting on top of a bowl of Starbuzz peach.

took 2 puffs to pull large thick clouds of smoke, no noticeable taste to them yet.

About 15 minutes in so far and very little ash is produced.

flavor, 10/10 none
duration, 10/10-excellent
ash - 10 out of 10 - so far
convenience - 10/10 - Easy square lumps, nothing to break or make a mess with
smell - 10/10 - none,
clouds - 10/10 - thick smooth clouds (Hard to get anything other with Starbuzz though, will test with Pharaoh's later)

overall - Fantastic, at least as good and maybe better then exoticas.

*edit*
Two coals on a fairly small bowl lasted us about 50 minutes of good smoke. added a 3rd one and guessing it will be fine for another 25-30 min or so. Edited by Tikhman

Coco Nara Square Coconut Shell Charcoals

Home Site: www.coco-nara.com
Site: https://www.coco-nara.us/default.aspx (For US based customers)

Charcoal package itself: Cardboard outer box, plastic bag inside – tapped.

Appearance of coals: 1" x 1"x ½" square. Black in color. Sides are smooth, bottom & top are rough. Very dence, unable to break by hand.

Smell
before cooking: none
during cooking: none
after/smoking: first 5 min picked up slight "wood" smell

Ease of Lighting
Source needed: substainded heat – lighters will NOT work.
Time Needed: 8-10 mins to glowing red hot and ashed over.

Ash
Appearance: On coals, thin grey coating. When knocked off, crumbly pieces mixed with red-hot embers. Very small amount.
Frequency: Only needed to ash 4 times total for entire smoke session. Did not overly block heat output.

Duration: 1 hour 25 min

Heat amount: Good – required 2 square to heat 1 clay bowl to "Thick" cloud level. Did not need windcover till end of coals (over 1 hour mark with 1 coal). Did not see "heat lines" but most defiantly felt the heat.

Reusable: test still pending

Overall Score: 9/10

Recommend: should be good, but want to use a few more times before recommending 100%

It appears the 16 count box is equal to about 1 standard (10 piece) roll of Quicklights (3 kings or Goldens). Needed 2 coals to smoke session, but heat was uniform and constant. No noticeable smell or taste, other than first 5 minutes on bowl – had a faint "woody" smell.

Box states that coals should be RED hot before using. 8 mins produced a "glowing" coal, but coal wasn't completely ashed over. This coal still produced similar heat and may have been source of "woody" smell. After 35min of constant smoking, semi-ashed coal was fully cooked.

After 45 min, put 1 coal out in water for testing (re-lighting) but 1 coal was still able to produce enough heat to smoke (medium smoke). After 1 hour 15 mins, the coal required windcover to continue to smoke (med to thin smoke, but full taste). After 1 hour 25 min coal was too small to continue to smoke. May have gone longer if BOTH coals were still on bowl, more testing is needed.

Box had a small insert that listed facts for the coal:

· Is a charcoal made from Coconut shell and vegetables
· Is 100% natural
· Burns 3 times longer than any other charcoal
· Leaves less than 4% ash
· Is more economical to use
· Is easy to light
· Is an environment friendly product "Not a single tree was cut to make the product"
· Is ordorless and tasteless
· Is easier to handle and cleaner to use
· Is a tropical product adapted for the Arab market Edited by lazria

• 2 weeks later...
Got them today and tried them out here's a review!

Shipping - Fast however they were shipped from D.C. and I live in Richmond. Took only 2 days through USPS

Packaging - Nice Box with tape sealed plastic wrapper

Ease of Lighting - Used a single coil burner to light up. Each coal took about 10 minutes to get fully red

Smell - None noticeable

Setup - Mya Frost, Tangiers Medium Funnel, Ice and H20 in base

Tobaccy - Tangiers Kashmir Apple

Taste - None

Smoke - Very Thick clouds with full taste were produced

Ash - Had to ash every 15 minutes or so to keep red surface exposed

Overall Opinion - They don't seem to burn as hot but at just the right temperature. I used 4 coals on my medium phunnel and it did not get harsh once. I did have to ash them more frequently than my exoticas but the 4 coals burned for about 1.5 hours before I had to replace them. No taste from coals just the apple. A very nice coal since there also was no odor. The Kashmir Apple seemed to smoke alot smoother than it does with other coals. I would definitely consider buying these again.

Rating:
9/10 - They ash more finely than exoticas so it can be a pain for cleanup or if a wind blows on them.

• 4 weeks later...
Well Snoopy gave me some Coconara and I truly am 100% dissapointed with these coals. I have not been able to get lit with a torch. I gave up on these.

They look cool and all and are cool because you do not have to cut them but they are very hard to light you will have to either place them on a constant flame or a electric burner to ignite.

Sorry but the coco wallbash.gif nara is way to much work for me to use as a consumer or a hookah lounge.

They finaaly lit after 30 minutes of sitting and I am smoking yes smoking good but I hear other posters on here complain about lighting other brand of naturals and they will not like lighting these for sure.

I am rating these as good for a patient end user at their house iwth out being in a rush.

I rate bad for a lounge or in a hurry user very long lighting time.

Thanks
Bubba Edited by bubbascigars

• 1 month later...
Just got these today.

Shipping - Very fast I live Canada and got them in 3 days. Which was amazing except that because Raed used UPS I got hit with brokerage fee of $17.

Packaging - Very good packaging.

Ease of Lighting - Took a while, I used my ceramic stove. But not good for a mobile sheesha.

Smell - Slight smell parents noticed it as well.

Setup - Stainless Steel Egyptian, Egyptian Clay bowl, Ice and water in the base.

Tobacco - AF Grape

Taste - None

Smoke - Thick smoke to begin with but after 45 mins it got very light.

Ash - Had to ash every twice to keep red surface exposed.

Overall Opinion - These are very good coals to use if you have a fire near by, or a BBQ. But if you want to smoke on the go or at park it will be very hard to lit them. I used 2 coals on my bowl and it did last that long compared to what I have heard from others, I will give them a try next time I smoke in my backyard so i can light them with my BBQ.

Coconara's customer service is amazing Raed helped me out alot and when i got hit with customs he paid half of the amount so I wish these work out for me because I enjoyed ordering from them and want to support their business.

Rating - 8/10 but because of C\S i will make it 9.5/10

I will update this when i try them again as well. Edited by SmokinMoose

• 2 weeks later...
Coco Nara Charcoals

Smell:While heating these bad boys up, there was definitely a "campfire" type smell that was noted by others, however it's not bad, and by the time they were glowing red and ready to be put on the foil, the smell was gone.

Ease of Lighting - About average for other naturals that I've tried. Took about 8-9 minutes on my portable electric stove. I wouldn't recommend trying to go at these with a torch, too much work.

Heat - Very good heat, two coals were all it took for my medium super chief to start smoking like a mad man. What I really liked about these is that not only were they natural, but they were shaped too, so you don't have to deal with those damn things rolling every which way and totally uneven heat. I like the square shapes they're cut into, they work quite nicely.

Flavor No noticeable flavor imparted onto the shisha.

Ash - Ashed really well! It wasn't uniform and solid all the way around like the way my Japanese style coals are (which I prefer) but ashed far less. Ashes aren't a pain to deal with at all.

Long lasting? : Not really, at least not to what the box said. The box says they last at least an hour - which they do, but only as tiny little coals that can't really heat up the shisha properly. If you're talking in terms of sustainable heat that you can actually USE, these things last closer to about 30-40 minutes, which is still pretty good in my book.

Price - 3 bucks for 16 pieces, I'd say roughly ~4 pieces or more to a total smoking session. They're a LITTLE bit expensive, but the price is worth it.

Bottom Line - 9/10. These are fantastic natural coals, the best I've ever had. They give great heat, very little ash, and impart no flavor upon the shisha what so ever. I'll definitely be keeping a box of these handy from now on. If you can find a good deal pick these up!

However, if you're looking for something to light up with a torch, pass on this one and pick up some kind of Jap or QL instead.. It will be far too much effort and wasted butane to get these to light up properly.

set up: mya obelisk, small phunnel,tangiers cool strawberry and ice and strawberry kiwi snapple in the base

lighting: best lit with a propane torch it took about 5 minutes to get one glowing red with the torch and well over 10 to get them lit on a coil burner

odor: slight odor when lighting but no residual odor

taste: the first hit had a weird taste to it but it went away by the second hit

duration: lasted about 45min a coal in a slight breeze

placement: 2 coal on a small phunnel

ash: weird almost sand feeling ash

ashing: only ashed 3 times for each coal and the ash didnt seem to block much if any heat

overall rating 9.5/10 because the price is a little high (14.95 for a 84 piece box)

• 2 months later...
Coco Nara Coconut coals

Lighting: I put 2 on my stove as I start to prepare my hookah. flip it about halfway through. Total time:7-10 min

Odor: A slight smell for about a minute as it starts to light up

Taste: nothing but flavor

Duration: Using a windcover on and off they last about 1hr 15min

Placement: 2 on opposite ends of a jet glass phunnel

Ash: Hardly any.

ashing: Ashed it about 2 times

overall rating 10/10. I love how long these thing last. i don't think exoticas last this long, plus you don't have to break them. They do cost a bit more but I think it's worth it.

• 2 months later...
Coconara--Coconut Husk Coals

These coals are absolutely amazing! Before using these, I've been using Golden Japs almost exclusively and was very impressed with those coals but these are in a completely different category. First off, let me talk about the lighting.

I've heard some horror stories about lighting these coals (Take too long, fall apart, etc. ) and let me tell you that I did not have any of those problems. I lit these coals on a coil stove and it took about 5 minutes to lite them properly. I flipped them after about 4 minutes and then let the other side lite for about a minute and then I just threw them on my hookah.

I used two of these coals on a medium Tangier's phunnel bowl packed with some freshly acclimated Tangier's Schonzberry. These things gave me smoke on my first pull and a great volume. Me and one of my roommates spent about an hour pulling on these coals and they were still going after that hour. This was all without a windcover and never flipping them. I was very impressed with this time frame lack of maintenence.

As far as the taste/smell goes...there isn't one. They put off no odor during lighting and no taste into the shisha. This combined with the length of the session makes these coals little miracle bricks.

Overall, I give these coals a 10/10. That's right, a perfect score. I can't find anything wrong with these coals. I've heard that the ash can be irritating but I only had to ash them twice and I thought the ash was very...well...natural. It's a very fine dust that also has no odor and doesn't get blown everywhere. I intend to use these coals for a while now. They have become my one and only great charcoal. I recommend that anybody who hasn't tried these, give them a shot.

• 4 weeks later...
Just bought a pack of coco nara from The Shisha Shop, the only place in the UK that sells this product to my knowledge, and man was this good!

Unlike other brands that claim to produce no smoke, taste or ash this baby actually delivers on it's promise! It took a bit longer to light up than other natural charcoal products but it was worth the wait, and it also lasted much longer than anything I've ever used before. Two hours with three pieces! It's also worth mentioning that the whole smoking session was very smooth, it didnt get too strong or weak during the whole session and I didnt even detect the slightest hint of a burnt taste.

10/10 - Best product out there and the only one I will be using from now on, so stock up as Im sure this will be a popular product!

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (lp640man @ Jan 26 2008, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hahahaha I love your LOLCAT!

COCONARA COCONUT COALS

Okay, I waited until I finished a whole box of this so I can give it a fair review.

Well all I can say is that these coals are pretty fucking awesome. They light fairly quick if you are using a gas stove, about 3 minutes on one side then i just bring them up infront of a fan then they get red hot all around in seconds!

I've noticed they do smell borderline chemical to campfire when lighting, but it'll go away after a few minutes if you have good ventilation in your room. They don't taint the flavor of the tobacco, which is really the most important part in a hookah coal.

They are extremely easy to handle, on average I only need to ash the coals about twice or thrice. They produce good amount of heat, 2 coals on a mya bowl and 3 on a medium phunnel bowl and i get good amount of clouds on the first pull.

I do have to rant about the price though, yeah they are extremely good coals but I cant seem to help justify my self in paying $15 for a box of coals. Honestly, I would not mind giving it a go on other brands of coconut coals.

9/10, very good hookah coals. Would recommend it to EVERYONE!

• 8 months later...
Coco Nara Charcoals

Smell: I didn't notice any smell.

Ease of Lighting - I lit them on my gas stove, and it took about 8 minutes for them to get red hot.

Heat - Really good heat, four coals on my medium phunnel bowl and got awesome smoke after two draws.

Flavor: None, whatsoever.

Ash - Ashes really well, and not much at all!

Long lasting? : They're okay, I put 4 on top of my medium funnel bowl and they lasted about 45 minutes.

Price - My local shop sells 84 pieces for $6

Bottom Line - 9/10 IMO, these are awesome, they take a bit longer to light, but they give great heat and i notice no smell or flavor from then!

• 4 months later...
Cocoanara Coals

Appearence: Coals come in neat little cubes. I'm liking the portability of them. Great packaging as well. It looks like some care was taken when these were packaged.

Lighting: I put 2 on my flat panel electric stove burner. It took about 5-7 min to light on one side, then I flip them over and light the other side.
Odor: kind of like a campfire smell

Taste: nothing at all

Duration: about 45 minutes

Placement: 3 on an egyptian bowl

Ash: very little ash output. burns all the way down to dust.

A couple of them got crumbly, but the coals stayed together. for the most part. They put out a lot of heat. These are the least messy coals I've ever used so far. There are no crackles, pops, or explosions associated with this coal. Lighting is very easy, as long as you have the right equipment. The burn is even for the most part, and I don't find myself having to move the coals that often.

Personally I like these coals for the portability, and they are very easy to manage. The coals are very stable, which means no more burn marks on my carpet!!! That alone deserves a good grade. So far, I'm very happy with this coal. It's kind of pricey per use, but it's worth it. I'm definitely happy with my purchase.

• 6 months later...
Coconara Coconut Coals

Lighting: Coil burner or stove. I do 6 minutes, flip, then another 6 minutes and they're fully lit.

Odor: Odorless for me when lighting and when in use.

Taste: NO taste, whatsoever.

Duration: I can have CCNs last me a good hour to hour and 15 minutes, easy.

Ash: Very fine grey ash, doesn't like to stick to the coals. These are the easiest coals to ash, period.

Rating: 10/10. I love these coals. Best I've ever had. Price is the only thing that keeps me from buying them all the time. Plus availability at my local shop. But these things are like the king of all coals, I think...

[color="#FF0000"][size="3"][b]Coconara (New Cubes)
[/b][/size][/color]
[b]Average Coal Size:[/b] 2.1cm x 2.1cm x 2.2cm
[b]Average Coal Weight:[/b] 8.4g
[b]Smoking Temperature Peak:[/b] 638.9˚F

[b]Packaging:[/b] Thick Cardboard Box, all the coals are wrapped in a thick plastic and taped shut.
[b]Size Consistency:[/b] Near Perfect. Sizes vary slightly.
[b]Cutting Ease: [/b]A little force is needed not a great deal but more than the others. +
[b]Cutting Strength:[/b] Very Little ash and almost a perfect cut.

[b]Lighting Time:[/b] Flipped when lighting at 5:10 minutes; done at 8:15 minutes. No sparking
[b]Smell During Lighting:[/b] Slight coal smell.
[b]Smell During Smoking:[/b] No smell.

[b]Taste:[/b] No taste.
[b]Ash: [/b]Very Light Gray. Ash stays in place with the coals.
[b]Longevity:[/b] Lasted 90 minutes before the coals became too small to smoke well.
[b]Heat Management: [/b]Flipped at 40 minutes. Added Windcover at 55 minutes. All in all a complete breeze.

[b]Purchased From: [/b]Hookah-Shisha.com

[b]Overall:[/b] 10/10 This are great coals. They are my goto coals. Even after the coal change from square to cube I still love these. Lighting time is longer than most, but they are worth the wait.