Sahara Genie Hose

pigpen

Sahara Genie Standard Hose

This is not a good hose.

The web site lists this hose as washable. However, there is nothing washable about this hose except the pleather outer cover.

I used this hose just 3 times and on the third time I rinsed it with water, blew out the excess water and hung it up by the mouth piece,clipped to an overhead wire so the hose hung straight down to allow for better drying.

For a "washable" hose this should be fine. But on the next use I flavor was off. Upon rinsing the hose I noticed small flakes in the rinse water.

I decided to experiment and collected the water into a small glass dish. I could see brown and black flakes in the water. I grabed a magnet off the fridge and discovered I could move the flakes through the bottom of the bowl with the magnet. When I placed the magnet in the water all of the flakes collected on the magnet and the water was clear.

Sahara offered to replace the hose (which they did- more in the vendor review section) so I cut into the old hose and discovered a very bad design.

The hose is made without any inner coverng at all. Instead there is a loosely coiled , coated wire, that is covered by a baggie thin plastic wrap and then the pleather exterior wrapped in thread.

The magnetized flakes turned out to be from the wire coating (not the wire). The wire itself was intact and rust free as far as I could tell. But the coating was flaking off in thin slivers.

Personally I feel this hose is unsafe to use. Any flaking crud could become lodged in the lungs.

If you can not resist buying a Sahara Genie, replace the hose rght away. Dont even bother with it. Its not worth your health.