Suggestions Anyone? Please :)

ShelbyDee

Okay, so I just started to experiment with making my own shisha. Just for fun really...
Almost every recipe I've found have said to use flavor extracts rather than dried fruit.
Despite a lot of research, I found that these were the best quantities to use.

20% flavoring
30% tobacco
25% honey
25% glycerin

I've experimented with mint, strawberry, and vanilla extracts. None have given me ANY flavor. That's my main problem.
I buy American Spirit natural rolling tobacco...I boil it, and wash it multiple times until the water is nearly clear. I find that this takes away the harsh-ness greatly, and makes for a really smooth smoke.

After boiling and washing the tobacco, I then add in all the ingredients. It looks like shisha you could buy from any brand. It has the perfect consistency, and the perfect smell. However, it's a huge disappointment when it comes down to smoking it.

It takes a while to get the smoke going, but once it does...I get some pretty good clouds. The pulls are smooth...just the only thing is flavor. THERE'S NONE. I don't even get a hint of anything...just the flavor of the tobacco. Which is mild, but it's there.

Can someone give me some suggestions? Any tips? How long should I let it marinate? Should I try dried herbs and fruits? ANY advice will help. I'm very new to this, so anything will do.
Thanks a lot!

[quote name='ShelbyDee' timestamp='1295622615' post='495226']
Okay, so I just started to experiment with making my own shisha. Just for fun really...
Almost every recipe I've found have said to use flavor extracts rather than dried fruit.
Despite a lot of research, I found that these were the best quantities to use.

20% flavoring
30% tobacco
25% honey
25% glycerin

I've experimented with mint, strawberry, and vanilla extracts. None have given me ANY flavor. That's my main problem.
I buy American Spirit natural rolling tobacco...I boil it, and wash it multiple times until the water is nearly clear. I find that this takes away the harsh-ness greatly, and makes for a really smooth smoke.

After boiling and washing the tobacco, I then add in all the ingredients. It looks like shisha you could buy from any brand. It has the perfect consistency, and the perfect smell. However, it's a huge disappointment when it comes down to smoking it.

It takes a while to get the smoke going, but once it does...I get some pretty good clouds. The pulls are smooth...just the only thing is flavor. THERE'S NONE. I don't even get a hint of anything...just the flavor of the tobacco. Which is mild, but it's there.

Can someone give me some suggestions? Any tips? How long should I let it marinate? Should I try dried herbs and fruits? ANY advice will help. I'm very new to this, so anything will do.
Thanks a lot!
[/quote]
I used Alcohol extracts and got little flavor. Let it sit for a few hours to a day for flavor to set in.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='mushrat' timestamp='1297771177' post='497931']
I always thought you cooked the tobacco with the other ingredients to get them to meld.
[/quote]

Yeah, I tried that. It had a little more flavor to it, but I think I need to get stronger flavoring substances. What I did was put it on a baking sheet with a very small amount of vegetable oil to keep the tobacco from sticking.
-Take the tobacco molasses/honey mixture and bake it on low heat (170 farenheit) for about ninety minutes.
-Then mix in the flavoring with a little bit of water on your hands. Add molasses as needed to maintain the proper consistency and bake it again.
-Then add the glycerin, more flavoring and molasses if needed. Bake it again for ninety minutes and let cool for about an hour before using.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
Home made shisha is kinda like Tangiers. You gotta let it acclimate and set before you smoke. I find that making it and forgetting about it for a couple days helps. Then stir and see where it stands.

What I did on my batch I made was vanilla and Cinnamon extract in a tiny bit of water and let it sit for a few days then drain and dry. It turned out awesome was like smoking cinnamon or french toast.