Do You Consider Yourself "A Smoker"?

For those of you who smoke hookah but not cigarettes, do you consider yourself "a smoker"? As in, if someone/a survey asks you if you smoke (with no context as to what), do you say yes or no?

I feel like people are generally referring to cigarettes, so I tend to say no, but it's always kind of a "No, but yes.. but no..."

I say no, always. The thing is, or how I split it up in my own little world: I never have a NEED to smoke; I don't freak out like the guys at work if I don't have a cigarette.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1293496621' post='492563']
Totally depends, although you should always say yes or no. If you say sorta or have a flipfloppy answer, they will just assume you are referring to NHT
[/quote]

I do explain, but agreed.

I'm finally getting over the lingering need to be perfectly honest about everything. Now if someone asks me if I smoke I usually say "not cigarettes" and leave 'em wondering. When it comes to anything insurance or government related, I just say no. Let 'em prove me wrong. Screw 'em all if they can't take a joke. When it comes to gubmint though just screw 'em.

'Rani

I believe the phrase "are you smoking" is assuming by default cigarettes and in that aspect, I do not consider myself a smoker. Same concept applies if someone asks if you're a "heavy drinker." Well yeah, I drink a lot of different things but the default assumption is that we're discussing alcohol as the subject.

If someone does ask me if I am a smoker, I usually reply with "not cigarettes but I do smoke hookah."

I just say not cigs. I smoke hookah but I don't put anything illegal in it, just shisha.

[quote name='HookahJohn' timestamp='1293523635' post='492629']
i don't let people get the chance to ask me if i smoke, i usally bring up the fact that i smoke hookah, and then the conversation/explanation begins.
[/quote]

i like john's answer

i've never really been asked if i smoke cigs. i've never had to do anything like that for health insurance. generally when someone asks me if i smoke around the campus they are referring to NHT stuff, which is a very stern no

[quote name='HookahJohn' timestamp='1293523635' post='492629']
i don't let people get the chance to ask me if i smoke, i usally bring up the fact that i smoke hookah, and then the conversation/explanation begins.
[/quote]

That's a pretty good way to look at it.

Just because we aren't "addicted" and hookah is "different" than cigarettes and cigars doesn't make what we do any less of a form of smoking.

If we get into semantics about it, it'll just cause problems. We "smoke hookah," therefore we are smokers in some sense of the word.

To a certain degree. But than you just open a can of worms. Have you ever than been asked well how many packs do you smoke a week? Where do you go there. I think they should really ask do you use tobacco products, that way things like dip are also included.

[quote name='kmccoy90' timestamp='1293983095' post='493133']
Just because we aren't "addicted" and hookah is "different" than cigarettes and cigars doesn't make what we do any less of a form of smoking.

If we get into semantics about it, it'll just cause problems. We "smoke hookah," therefore we are smokers in some sense of the word.
[/quote]

I agree, to a point, but I don't want to be considered a smoker by anyone, anywhere, any time. Since I don't owe anybody an explanation I have no qualms about saying, "No." It's nobody's damned business anyway. When it comes down to it, however, the thing is that I just don't want it anywhere in my medical records that I smoke anything. It complicates things. And some of you know exactly what I'm talking about. By being in the habit of saying, "No, I don't smoke," to anyone who asks, there will be no hesitation the next time a doctor asks me the same thing. And my husband won't screw it all up now by saying, "Oh, but honey, don't forget hookah," because he's heard me deny that I'm a smoker enough by now. If a clinic's (or insurance company's, or possible employer's) medical tests don't prove me to be a liar, then I'll continue to say no.

I am not going to lose a job, be denied insurance, or be denied medical help because I smoke hookah. Not when I know that it simply cannot be compared to cigarette smoking. Not saying it's healthy, but it's not like being what is commonly considered "a smoker."

yeah but suppose you get hospitalized and they test you for nicotine. I am sure that is grounds do deny you coverage. While you may think there is a health difference, I guarantee you you insurance does not.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1293996909' post='493151']
yeah but suppose you get hospitalized and they test you for nicotine. I am sure that is grounds do deny you coverage. While you may think there is a health difference, I guarantee you you insurance does not.
[/quote]

If they detect nicotine in my system, then I'll deal with it. But it depends on what kind of test they run. A blood test might reveal it, but a swab of the mouth might not. Better for me to just deny it and see what happens than to claim it and then have the tests come back negative.

Why anyone would test me for nicotine if I was hospitalized is beyond me, however.

I know insurance companies don't see a difference, that's exactly why I want it to be common knowledge that I am [b]not[/b] a smoker. Some people know I smoke hookah, but for all they know I'm smoking tea leaves. There are no hookah savvy residents in my area.