best way to pack bowl?

hey all, i'm fairly new to packing my own bowls consdidering my friends always did before i got my own hookah. i tried to draw two diagrams to my best ability to see if you could tell me the best way to do it. i am afraif if i pack too much shisha it will burn and be really harsh, not to mention possibly be wasteful. the other way is packing the shisha so it doesnt touch the tinfoil. any help would be greatly appreciated and i appoligize if this topic was touched i searched for a little, bit couldnt find anything. here is my artwork!:[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/gman571/mmm.jpg[/img]i donno if i even need to draw these for you guys... it would be sweet if you could help a noob out! thanks!

well, there are several different "schools" of bowl packing.
Some folks sprinkle loose tobacco in the bowl, some people pack it in a little more. As long as you get good air flow, its purely personal.
Some folks pack it to the top. I generally leave a little room at the top for a layer of air. I also use a screen instead of foil, so the air place actully remains, where as folks who use foil and leave space will ofen end up pushing the foil down anyway when they ash or rotate their coals. Some folks pack the bowl to the top and lay the foil right on top of the tobacco...
If you liek the way it smokes when your friend packs it..ask your friend how he/she does it...
Experiment for yourself and see what works for YOU.

The way i personally pack my bowl is I try to get the maassel  to barely touch the bottom of the screen or foil.  In most cases when i'm done with the bowl and if i were to lift off the screen or  foil,  there would be a roasted "puck" in their with only a couple strands of  maassel sticking to the bottom, or sometimes no sticking at all.  If i had to give you a measurement between the tobacco and foil/screen, perhaps 1 millimeter or less.

My favorite is when you lift up the screen after smoking and, much to your surprise, find that the bowl is completely empty! Then you realize the whole puck is stuck to the screen

Alot of it depends on tobacco too, some methods work better for one brand than another, so like mushrat said, just experiment until you find somethin that works for you, if your getting thick smoke without any harshness then theres no real nead to change, if your having a tough time drawing I'd say pack it a little looser, If all your getting is air well then pack tighter, and if your shisha keeps getting harsh with minimal heat you have one of two problems: You've either packed the tobacco to high or you dont have enough tobacco, the latter usually indicated by thin smoke as well. Like I said just experiment and dont be disappointed if at first you waste a bowl or two, sometimes its just not in the cards...

Like mentioned to death above, gotta use trial-n-error to find what works best for you.

As for how I pack the bowl, I'll first take a big clump of tobacco and
set it on a paper towel. Then I will break it all up so its nice and
loose. Then I'll grap a few pinches of my prepared tobacco and sprinkle
it into the bowl. I'll sprinkle it all the way up to the brim of the
bowl, and then very gently pack it down so it sits a few millimeters
below the top of the bowl.

Now I stress "gently" packing it down. I can't stand it when my draw is
too tight. By gently packing it down, it places the tobacco out of
reach from the foil, so I don't have to worry about burning the stuff.

Ive also found that bowls effect the way you could pack. I have a normal clay that i pack more in because its so much smaller, still i dont touch the baccy to the foil/screen. I think keeping the tobacco off of the foil is a general rule though.

I have smoked "Saloom" where you actually put the coal on the shisha without a screen or foil.  It was prepared before I got there.  The shisha was stuffed into a huge bowl.  In the begining it was very harsh, then it got smoother.  But head rush for days ...

I break up the tobacco and fill the bowl so it is loose and pretty much up to the brim, then i'll press it down a little to pack it in, and keep it from touching the metal screen. Before i put the screen on, I stick a pencil right in the middle of the bowl to make a hole for air to come through.

I've always just lightly sprinkled tobacco in until it was full enough
to not touch the screen. Always manages to work for me, and I get fine
smoke. I tried packing it a few times, just a little, but it almost
made it impossible to pull any smoke in.

The center air hole thing sounds interesting though. I'll try it later.