Izundu Electric Hookah?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jonsmokeshookah' timestamp='1293837144' post='493004']
Chris and I already talked about this but it seems like he has the heating element part of it down. If he just made the heating element a stand alone unit so we could put it on any hookah, this could be an awesome product.
[/quote]

Yes. I believe overall it'd be more beneficial. Tony says the way this thing works is exactly like your coals- increases when you pull, then decreases when you're not pulling, just like coals. Make this work on any bowl of a traditional hookah and you're golden. But this will have to do for now, I suppose.

[quote name='Tony I' timestamp='1293857921' post='493024']
Happy New Year Everyone!
[/quote]

You too, Tony...

I've thought about it and thought about it but I just can't spend that much money on an appliance that doesn't have a better warranty. I mean, if they are so confident about their product, why not give it a better warranty?

It IS an appliance, and I wouldn't spend this much on a space heater or a new kitchen gadget without knowing I had some recourse if part of it, the most important part of it, broke down.

[quote name='Genie' timestamp='1293908564' post='493068']
I've thought about it and thought about it but I just can't spend that much money on an appliance that doesn't have a better warranty. I mean, if they are so confident about their product, why not give it a better warranty?

It IS an appliance, and I wouldn't spend this much on a space heater or a new kitchen gadget without knowing I had some recourse if part of it, the most important part of it, broke down.
[/quote]

We are considering significantly increasing our warranty period. Will make final determination soon.

[quote name='Tony I' timestamp='1294202950' post='493392']

We are considering significantly increasing our warranty period. Will make final determination soon.
[/quote]

I'll be paying attention! I really would like to get one of these.

Let us know Chris, this may/may not turn out to be the ultimate travel hookah....
My feelings on the subject are pretty neutral. I like my setup the way it is, but I'm always game for trying new things....That's a pretty big part of hookah itself, no?

[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1294222874' post='493425']
Let us know Chris, this may/may not turn out to be the ultimate travel hookah....
My feelings on the subject are pretty neutral. I like my setup the way it is, but I'm always game for trying new things....That's a pretty big part of hookah itself, no?
[/quote]

Yep. And why the hell am I in your sig? :P

I'd like to know a little more about the mechanism that detects movement of air and then adjusts temperature accordingly. Honestly, I'm thinking this is more of an accidental feature than an inteded one since the heating elements are [i]beside[/i] the head rather than [i]above[/i] it, and the cover is vented. This design would allow the variable application of heat based on the simlple flow of air - when you pull, it sucks in the surrounding, heated air and when you don't, that heat simply dissipates. That's one of the primary differences between a hookah and a NH that rhymes with caper-mizer.

We had a [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/40257-coal-alternatives/page__st__20"]thread[/url] going a while back about electric coals and what-not, and this same idea of indirect heat was brought up then.

I sent an email to Tony a while back asking about getting one of these things to try at my lounge, but I'm hung up on a couple of things.

1. You have to use a cupcake liner as a bowl. 'Nuff said.

2. I'm not a fan of smoking from a plastic obelisk. No offense, Tony, but having never smoked from a plastic hookah, I can't imagine it being nearly as satisfying as smoking out of something made from metal and glass. I mean even the Leila was made from quality materials, but it also cost $100 which I thought was a ripoff. I'm sure Tony was trying to keep his product within a certain price range which is commendable, but I would definitely suggest making a "step up" model at some point in the future made with quality materials.

3. I don't like NOT having options. Since I can't use the bowl or hose that I like, and I can't smoke anything hotter or cooler than anything else, I'm stuck settling for whatever Tony thinks is the best setup. Honestly, I'd be far more interested in pulling apart one of these hookahs and configuring it to simply fit on one of my hookahs.

Ultimately, I'm completely stoked as I love seeing innovative people coming up with innovative things. Tony, please don't take anything I've said personally as I mean it only as constructive criticism. No product is perfect in v.1. Hell, look at the Narbish. It took John four tries to get it right, and that's a hose! I simply hope that Tony or someone else will build on this technology and continue to make improvements.

[quote name='ih303' timestamp='1294253163' post='493452']
I'd like to know a little more about the mechanism that detects movement of air and then adjusts temperature accordingly. Honestly, I'm thinking this is more of an accidental feature than an inteded one since the heating elements are [i]beside[/i] the head rather than [i]above[/i] it, and the cover is vented. This design would allow the variable application of heat based on the simlple flow of air - when you pull, it sucks in the surrounding, heated air and when you don't, that heat simply dissipates. That's one of the primary differences between a hookah and a NH that rhymes with caper-mizer.

We had a [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/40257-coal-alternatives/page__st__20"]thread[/url] going a while back about electric coals and what-not, and this same idea of indirect heat was brought up then.

I sent an email to Tony a while back asking about getting one of these things to try at my lounge, but I'm hung up on a couple of things.

2. I'm not a fan of smoking from a plastic obelisk. No offense, Tony, but having never smoked from a plastic hookah, I can't imagine it being nearly as satisfying as smoking out of something made from metal and glass. I mean even the Leila was made from quality materials, but it also cost $100 which I thought was a ripoff. I'm sure Tony was trying to keep his product within a certain price range which is commendable, but I would definitely suggest making a "step up" model at some point in the future made with quality materials.

3. I don't like NOT having options. Since I can't use the bowl or hose that I like, and I can't smoke anything hotter or cooler than anything else, I'm stuck settling for whatever Tony thinks is the best setup. Honestly, I'd be far more interested in pulling apart one of these hookahs and configuring it to simply fit on one of my hookahs.

Ultimately, I'm completely stoked as I love seeing innovative people coming up with innovative things. Tony, please don't take anything I've said personally as I mean it only as constructive criticism. No product is perfect in v.1. Hell, look at the Narbish. It took John four tries to get it right, and that's a hose! I simply hope that Tony or someone else will build on this technology and continue to make improvements.
[/quote]

The Izundu Hookah doesn't have an air detection mechanism. The heater activity is determined on temperature readings of the heating cup. However, the vents on top of the heating chamber are intended to cycle in cool air with each draw of the pipe. This has the double effect of improving smoke quality and cooling the tobacco.

1. I understand the foil cup idea is different but its also convenient and affordable. You don't have to spend unreasonable sums of money replacingdamaged cups.
2. You are right. High grade plastic was used to keep the product affordable. However, the smoke channels(the path in which the smoke travels) is made mostly of stainless steel. The only part of the smoke channel made of plastic is the part where the hose connects. Future upgrades will definitely have improved aesthetics.
3. Future models will also have a manual heat control. We are making an adapter to connect any hose to the Izundu Hookah. The adapter should be ready no later than mid February.

I always appreciate constructive criticisms. However, future innovation is largely dependent on market incentives. Each unit sold funds further product development. Without that support innovation is stifled. Thanks for your insights. We are working to incorporate all your concerns into improved products.

[quote name='ih303' timestamp='1294253163' post='493452']

[/quote]

I don't have a problem with using a cupcake holder, it isn't any different to me than using Reynolds foil on our hookah heads. It's easy, cheap, disposable, and easy to find anywhere.

I could care less that the hookah is made of plastic. They can make a more expensive, glass and metal version later on if they like to appease those who think the Izundu is too cheap the way it is. Glass or plastic, the smoke is going to taste the same. I think the Izundu is ugly, personally, but I don't care about the plastic. The proof is in the smoke. And I imagine if it were glass and metal, I wouldn't be able to afford it. I'm a very practical girl, I'd smoke out of an old shoe if the clouds were big and the flavor good. And if there was no stinky feet ghosting.

As to choice of bowls, well, I think that's irrelevant with this type of hookah. I agree it would be nice to have a choice when it comes to heat, SOME control over the heat output would be great. But Tony did point out that we at least have the option of cooling it off quick with the simple expedient of turning off the unit. So, that's something. A high/medium/low setting would satisfy my concerns on heat control, but I'm willing to give the hookah a try before I decide that they need to change their heat settings at all.

[quote name='Tony I' timestamp='1294256874' post='493457']
3. Future models will also have a manual heat control. We are making an adapter to connect any hose to the Izundu Hookah. The adapter should be ready no later than mid February.

[/quote]

Awesome, I look forward to that. And a warranty plan! Heck, I'd pay an extra 10 bucks for a 1 year warranty, Tony. I don't think this unit is overpriced--but I hope I can get one before the price goes up. However, as I've said several times now, I just need a better guarantee before I dive in. If I buy a regular water pipe and a vase breaks, I can just slap a new vase in there. With this hookah, if something goes wrong, the entire hookah will have to be replaced. That makes me nervous.

Genie said:
And if there was no stinky feet ghosting

Always a problem with the shoe hookah! But imagine how sexy it would look if you put that big ice tip we were talking about on it.

Hey everyone! We've decided to extend the warranty to 3 months. Customers can request a 1 year warranty for an additional fee of $5. The 1 year warranty must be purchased at the time you buy your pipe. It will cover all electronic components and any manufacturer defects. I hope this will assuage any concerns about product reliability. Cheers!

No offense to tony, but am I the only one that remembers Chemistry....

Heat + Plastic = Dioxin

Sorry mate, I am not getting plastic that close to any heat source. Especially depending on what kind of plastic, that toxic chemical could be odorless.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1294849879' post='494150']
No offense to tony, but am I the only one that remembers Chemistry....

Heat + Plastic = Dioxin

Sorry mate, I am not getting plastic that close to any heat source. Especially depending on what kind of plastic, that toxic chemical could be odorless.
[/quote]

The plastic never gets hot. The plastic is separated from the heating cup by multiple insulation buffers. This keeps the plastic well removed from the heat source. Lastly, the smoke travels from the stainless steel heating cup through the stainless steel stem. This smoke channel is airtight preventing surrounding air from seeping in.

Its safer than using a plastic coffee mug to drink hot liquids.

[quote name='Tony I' timestamp='1294256874' post='493457']

I always appreciate constructive criticisms. However, future innovation is largely dependent on market incentives. Each unit sold funds further product development. Without that support innovation is stifled. Thanks for your insights. We are working to incorporate all your concerns into improved products.

[/quote]

this i really dont like

so what your saying is you have to sell this "hookah" as is now and then you can upgrade with those funds made of the first. well what happens to the people that bought the first unit when a better one comes out?

Also there is a new hands on review on youtube and its not looking too good

this i really dont like

so what your saying is you have to sell this "hookah" as is now and then you can upgrade with those funds made of the first. well what happens to the people that bought the first unit when a better one comes out?

Also there is a new hands on review on youtube and its not looking too good
[/quote]

The product as is, works very well. It hits well with thick clouds of smoke. Also, replacing the coal gives it a much cleaner and more flavorful taste.

All customers will get huge exclusive discounts for all new items. Particularly, customers that pre-ordered. I recognize and deeply appreciate such faith and support.

[quote name='Dereksd' timestamp='1294863658' post='494172']
idk id rather get a great product off the bat and not need to upgrade everytime something is fixed on it.
[/quote]

Even the very best products sooner or later will need to be upgraded. It s not about fixing problems but rather, about staying relevant. In the Izundu Hookah you have a great product that makes smoking in apartments, dorm rooms, or even on your bed much safer.

but there is other safe methods of smoking that you could use that i would think would be more enjoyable. As much as i hate them id rather use a mod windcover bowl to be more safe. I dont know how id feel about having wires and such near my bed

[quote name='Dereksd' timestamp='1294864451' post='494174']
but there is other safe methods of smoking that you could use that i would think would be more enjoyable. As much as i hate them id rather use a mod windcover bowl to be more safe. I dont know how id feel about having wires and such near my bed
[/quote]

The wind covers aren't much better than smoking without them. The heat levels generated by the coal is substantially higher than the Izundu. They also leave a trail of ash. Critical to note, is that the taste of the tobacco is so much more flavorful. Add to that the cost savings of doing away with charcoal and you see its a superb offering.

As far as the wires go, think of it as charging or using your laptop on your bed.