Chreees's Guide to Tangiers Success

[quote name='tranoid no ki' timestamp='1324422914' post='533464']
I have had moderate to low success getting tang to smoke right. I have started using this method, and it is FOOLPROOF. It works every time, and never burns or gets harsh. I am 3/3 on bowls now, and I have never been THIS successful. Thanks Chris!
[/quote]

Awesome! Glad to hear I've helped someone. :)

• 4 weeks later...
I wanted to ask..I just switched to Coco M's, and did two because I thought I read thats what you were doing..but do you start with your windcover on for the first 20 this way?

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1326415224' post='535406']
I wanted to ask..I just switched to Coco M's, and did two because I thought I read thats what you were doing..but do you start with your windcover on for the first 20 this way?
[/quote]

I'm guessing you're using a Tangiers Small Phunnel? If so, then yeah, use the windcover starting out if you wish. That's what I do usually. When I use my Tangiers Mini Phunnel, I don't at first. I'll add it on after a while.

Yep. I am still getting a little burn in the back of my throat..not anything unbearable, but I think its normal. Smoking Lucid btw Edited by Floataround

Do you let the bowl heat up a bit? With a small, here's what I do:

-After taking fully lit coals off of stove burner, let them sit for a minute or two in the tray.
-Place coals on the bowl, hanging off of the edge a bit.
-Wait 5 minutes to allow the bowl to heat up.
-Take first pull. Should be good.

To use the windcover, just throw it on for a bit at the beginning, and take it off when the clouds have built up to how you like. For CCMs, I tend to use a windcover in the beginning. For flat coconut coals, I do not.

Burn in the back of your throat is not normal. Maybe you left the windcover on too long? I try not to use the windcover in the beginning, because it's better to allow the bowl to heat up slower than try and force it to heat up faster. But I do use it sometimes in the beginning. Most of the time, I just use it later on in the session when clouds are getting weak. This is for a small, by the way. Mini I'll do a windcover on and off throughout the session. Just depends.

Maybe..it was orange soda and I have heard that it sorta carries a natural tingle..but I only plan on using Coco Ms for tangiers. It was not super flavorful either but I am pretty sure that was because of my heat. Maybe packing..but I think I packed down to the notch. Used my for to pack it as tight as possible had it even with the spire, right below the rim. I am going to try acclimating it some, even though its Lucid just because of where I am at.

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1326418656' post='535412']
Maybe..it was orange soda and I have heard that it sorta carries a natural tingle..but I only plan on using Coco Ms for tangiers. It was not super flavorful either but I am pretty sure that was because of my heat. Maybe packing..but I think I packed down to the notch. Used my for to pack it as tight as possible had it even with the spire, right below the rim. I am going to try acclimating it some, even though its Lucid just because of where I am at.
[/quote]

I have actually had better bowls when I acclimated Lucid, to be honest. I can't remember if Orange Soda had a natural tingle to it or not; been a long time since I've smoked it. How dense did you pack it, and did you poke any holes over the center spire?

I did not do any holes over the spire. And I packed it really as dense as possible. I tried to make it as dense as the package...I just kept mashing it down with the fork and adding until I was level with the spire.

Edited by Floataround

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1326420139' post='535416']
I did not do any holes over the spire. And I packed it really as dense as possible. I tried to make it as dense as the package...I just kept mashing it down with the fork and adding until I was level with the spire.
[/quote]

Yeah, about what I do, dense as the package and up and level to the inner spire, no loose spots or holes in the tobacco, especially around the rim (you'll want to make sure that is tight for sure). Reason I asked about holes over the center is I have noticed less flavor when holes were poked over the center. So I never poke holes over it. I'm not sure why you aren't getting much flavor... Sometimes though, and just sometimes, not a common thing, I'll have a weird 250g. I reorder a lot of the same flavors, my favorite ones. One 250g will kick me in the mouth, but the very next one I open of the same flavor, it'll be weak. No idea why. This rarely happens. One time I had a 250g of Static Starlight with no flavor. Just tasted like smoke, nothing more. Talked with Eric about it and we could never figure out why. I ended up just mixing it in with Cane Mint to use it up.

Can you take a video of your packing method, and also show what you're doing with the coals on the bowl?

Yea will do tomorrow. I can just dump the bad stuff and add to fill in the gap right? I would dump out the good and mix it in with what I am adding though.

Edited by Floataround

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1326426198' post='535429']
Yea will do tomorrow. I can just dump the bad stuff and add to fill in the gap right? I would dump out the good and mix it in with what I am adding though.
[/quote]

Yeah man, either way will work. I personally would just add fresh to the top.

Yea but I figure to show how I pack it I would need to empty it out and re-pack.

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1326426841' post='535431']
Yea but I figure to show how I pack it I would need to empty it out and re-pack.
[/quote]

Oh! To show me in the video... Yeah, that would be best I suppose. :)

I did not do any holes over the spire. [b]And I packed it really as dense as possible[/b]. I tried to make it as dense as the package...[b]I just kept mashing it down with the fork and adding until I was level with the spire[/b].
[/quote]

That sounds to me like an over pack. Ease back on the density a little. OS is pretty smooth to me, The soda sensation I think comes from a slightly bitter taste like soda water.

I smoked Orange Soda (Lucid) for the first time yesterday and got the same tingle on the exhale. Nothing to bad just a small tingle like I get with Mint flavors.

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1326469544' post='535468']
I did not do any holes over the spire. [b]And I packed it really as dense as possible[/b]. I tried to make it as dense as the package...[b]I just kept mashing it down with the fork and adding until I was level with the spire[/b].
[/quote]

That sounds to me like an over pack. Ease back on the density a little. OS is pretty smooth to me, The soda sensation I think comes from a slightly bitter taste like soda water.
[/quote]

Actually, Ashely is totally right, my bad. I didn't really catch that. I think you are probably overpacking it if you're hulk-mashing it down like that. You have to remember that the tobacco will rise slightly when it warms up and the juices in it will boil. This is why you want it tight but not like HELLA tight. Also why you don't want it all the way full up to the outer rim so that it touches the foil before you have even applied the coals. This is why the foil or palm test is important.

Overall, the density is less important with Lucid than Noir. So it shouldn't make THAT much of a difference in the performance of the smoke. You'll want to pack it as tight as Noir comes in the package, but you can get away with packing it less dense (just Lucid).

I smoked Tangiers a bit before I ever actually saw or opened a Tangiers package. I bought second hand Tangiers on the trades sections. When I actually got a new package of Tangiers, I was surprised that it wasn't a rock hard brick in the package. If you look at the new package before you break the seal, you will notice some voids in the tobacco.

You want to make sure you have it in good contact with the surface of the bowl but it is possible to over pack Tangiers.

You can get decent flavor out of an over packed bowl but it will take more heat and you will get some harsh smoke off of the tobacco that is bearing the brunt of the heat... I think.

Hmm I will keep that in mind. I just want to do a regular pack not an over anyway. I think for the video I will do it exactly how I did it last night, and then just not smoke it so I dont waste anymore. I will have it done in a few hours. Thanks!

I did the video today, I will have it uploaded in a few hours. Almost afraid to smoke it in fear of wasting more lol.

Edited by Floataround

Working on it right now, sorry for the wait.

Ok here it is. I did not pack as much or as dense as I did the first time, but I still did not smoke this bowl because I did not want to waste any more.

[media]http://youtu.be/T1il80jHGT8[/media]

I also forgot to record poking holes, so here is a still of that.

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/img0273id.jpg/"][img]http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/8499/img0273id.jpg[/img][/url] Edited by Floataround

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1326751291' post='535763']
Ok here it is. I did not pack as much or as dense as I did the first time, but I still did not smoke this bowl because I did not want to waste any more.

[media]http://youtu.be/T1il80jHGT8[/media]

I also forgot to record poking holes, so here is a still of that.

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/861/img0273id.jpg/"][img]http://img861.imageshack.us/img861/8499/img0273id.jpg[/img][/url]
[/quote]

I havent been following what's been going on.. but if your having issues, im thinking its from your foil being pushed down. after the "palm test" tighten the foil back up sot its as tight as a drum head again. I'll watch your vid now.. lol

That was something I did actually get right haha, I just forgot to do it this time. i wanted to leave it like that for you guys to see the indent. The bowl just did not have a really strong flavor, and was a little burny as well. It did not taste burned, or feel exactly harsh, just a little burn in the back of my throat. Everyone thinks I ovecpacked it before, because I really was craming as much in as possible and just kept pushing in with the fork. I did not do as much when I recorded the video though.