Chreees's Guide to Tangiers Success

ok.. after the vid. first things first.. fat cat part deux?
secondly.. you're pack doesnt look too bad. I tend to overpack, so I'd suggest packing mooar and tighter. Otherwise, it really should be working, looks like everything is being done correctly to me.

so, recap. Tighten up the foil after the palm test, be sure it's as tight as a drum head, this is crucial. secondly, make a fat cat video, and lastly, maybe try going a bit tighter on the pack.

Haha Lou is my boy, he is boss cat, all 20 some lbs of him. I will try adding a bit more and tighter and will make sure to tighten up my foil as well! Thanks!

I will see what I can do about a fat cat video :P

ohh gotcha.. well, I would pack her harder hehe ;--)

I've actually had less issues overpacking bowls than underpacking. the 'bite' you're getting could be from too little heat getting to the tobacco aswell. I have no problem packing tang up to the outside brim of the bowl (all the way up to the phunnel) and throwing coals on there and it smokes good still with no harshness, but if i underpack it, I get the weird bite in the back of my throat, that you're describing (its unique to tangiers in my experience)

hope this helps! one way or another, we'll figure this thing out

ohhh Lou! I like him.. my cat is Isis.. he's 5 years old and relatively small.. :( no fun to cuddle up with.. haha

FAT CAT!!!

Okay, so I had to watch it muted, but from what I saw you underpacked it a bit. As Nate said, make sure you pull the foil back tight. You want it tight so where it's dense like the package when you get it, but not where when you push down juices squeeze out. I prefer the "palm test" over the "foil test," because I think it allows me to have a better feel of how tight the tobacco is. I also prefer to get my hands dirty and not use a fork to pack, for the same reason as the palm test. This may be because I'm southern. Don't judge me. Your hole pattern is perfect, though.

Try again using our advice and let us know how it goes. I think it should solve your problem. B)

[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1326755062' post='535774']
FAT CAT!!!

Okay, so I had to watch it muted, but from what I saw you underpacked it a bit. As Nate said, make sure you pull the foil back tight. You want it tight so where it's dense like the package when you get it, but not where when you push down juices squeeze out. I prefer the "palm test" over the "foil test," because I think it allows me to have a better feel of how tight the tobacco is. I also prefer to get my hands dirty and not use a fork to pack, for the same reason as the palm test. This may be because I'm southern. Don't judge me. Your hole pattern is perfect, though.

Try again using our advice and let us know how it goes. I think it should solve your problem. B)
[/quote]

wooot. I'm doing good on advice lately!! Just think.. only a little over a year ago, I was a noob joining up here.. thinking starbuzz and mya's out of vortex bowls were the be all end all..

[quote name='mustang67n' timestamp='1326755218' post='535775']
[quote name='Chreees' timestamp='1326755062' post='535774']
FAT CAT!!!

[/quote]

wooot. I'm doing good on advice lately!! Just think.. only a little over a year ago, I was a noob joining up here.. thinking starbuzz and mya's out of vortex bowls were the be all end all..
[/quote]

I think you always give good advice. :)

I will throw a little more in and give it a go tomorrow thanks guys! I will let you know how it goes :D

I put way more in than that!
Mine is usually a dome kinda like this:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/EternalSoil/DSC_0841.jpg[/img]
Dem holes!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/EternalSoil/DSC_0842.jpg[/img]

I pick it up (with my fingers) and shove it in the bowl. Packing it evenly around the bowl. All up and over the spire, as you call it. The tobacco is usually sticking up pretty far above the outer rim. When I put the foil on I push it down, then tighten the foil around it.
I used to be really specific and take a long time packing a bowl, now I just do it.

Floataround - My guess is you don't have enough tobacco in the bowl if you're getting the burning sensation I think you are. Is it kind of a tickle type burn? If so, I would almost bet money on you needing more tobacco.

And for those of you that think I may be wasting tobacco, you will notice that Chreees has mentioned putting unused tobacco back in with the fresh stuff; that keeps wastefulness to a minimum. So try my method sometime. I'm glad to see we are still teaching people how to smoke my favorite tobacco around here!

I feel like I just saw a ghost...

[img]http://www.fmtaccess.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/GHOSTBUSTERS-LOGO.jpg[/img]

But a friendly ghost. ;)

Somewhat related... Wouldn't you want this chick ghostbusting yo ass, ES?

[img]http://www.scavengeinc.com/images/Product/medium/rubies/girl-ghostbusters-costume.jpg[/img]

:D

And not only do you implement the "throwing back the fresh in the tub" saving method, but you're also using a Mini, are you not? Looks like one to me anyway. An old one at that.

You'll also notice in Stuie's review pictures he packs it up pretty high. Not as high as ES here, but higher than what you normally see.

Truth is, Float, almost everyone has a different way of doing it. Or slightly different versions. Please do not take any of our ways/methods as the ONLY way to do it. Use our methods as a guide to find the way YOU like to do it. I'll admit, I'm always taking what I see on here and trying it out to see if I like it better or not. That's the beauty of Tangiers. There is no one way to do it. :)
  • Upvote 1

I feel like an old man every time I come back on here for a bit!
I might have to stay a ghost if getting my ghostass busted by that!

Yes, that's one of the original miniphunnels that Eric made years ago. Unfortunately it had an accident regarding extreme heat change:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/EternalSoil/IMAGE_026.jpg[/img]
I do have a replacement that I use though.

And yes, different strokes for different folks! Everyone is different. The reason we all put these up is so you can see the different methods others use and have found work for them, and you can pick and choose and experiment to find out what works best for you.

The biggest thing about Tangiers is not giving up! If you don't get it right, keep trying!

Well I am about to give it round two..will let you guys know how it goes thanks for all the help!

Now that HJ is okay to talk about again, I will link to the video that shows a method that I use and has worked best for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIYShuHyvGw

The only difference is that I pack with my hands and not a fork. I basically pack it in very fluffy until it gets over the rim, then use my palm to push it down. I then just push it down with my fingertips and make it go just a little below the spire. Keep in mind that as it heats, it will rise. For holes, I use a sewing push pin and make a ton of tiny holes. I never do a foil test. Always palm test for me. Heat management is tricky. A wind cover will help you out a lot. I place 3 Coconara's on their sides (stonehenge style), put on the windcover until it heats up, then remove once it's going. Second set I only use two coconaras.

Well...it was a flop. Strangly enough there was more flavor, but the clouds were not as big, and it got really harsh after 20 minutes. I added some more to the bowl in the video, made sure to make the foil as flat as possible, used 2 coco m's.

Windcover on from the start, two coals hanging off the bowl. 5 minutes in I moved the coals in a tiny bit to the edge of the bowl, left the windcover on for another 15 and started smoking. About 2 or 3 minutes after taking the windcover off..it was awful and rough.

I might use my alien on the next try so I am not wasting so much tobacco..

Oh and sorry for the double post, but I am not giving up on this tobacco yet! I am about to smoke in my alien..and tbh..I think I allready know what my problem was in my small phunnell.

I packed almost all of the tobacco in my small into my alien. I dont think I had nearly enough in it.

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1326930630' post='536008']
Well...it was a flop. Strangly enough there was more flavor, but the clouds were not as big, and it got really harsh after 20 minutes. I added some more to the bowl in the video, made sure to make the foil as flat as possible, used 2 coco m's.

Windcover on from the start, two coals hanging off the bowl. 5 minutes in I moved the coals in a tiny bit to the edge of the bowl, left the windcover on for another 15 and started smoking. About 2 or 3 minutes after taking the windcover off..it was awful and rough.

[/quote]

Some regard the Alien as an even harder bowl to pack and manage heat on, so you may want to stick with the Tangiers phunnel and get it down first.

I also think you may have used too much heat in the beginning by using the windcover, or perhaps your coal placement since you said you moved your coals to the edge, not from the edge in. Just leave them lined up with the edge of the bowl if you're using CCM. Pack it tight up to the inner spire, slightly below the rim, about a quarter's thickness below. Do the palm test to help packing it. Foil tight, using the hole pattern you previously showed us. Try not using a windcover for right now. Just throw the coals on where they are right at the edge of the bowl, but not overhanging (since you're using CCM. If you were using CCN or another flat, I'd hang them a bit). Let it heat up for 5 minutes. Then pull. Continue pulling for a while and see what happens. Let's worry about flavor first, clouds later.

[quote name='Floataround' timestamp='1326932206' post='536012']
Oh and sorry for the double post, but I am not giving up on this tobacco yet! I am about to smoke in my alien..and tbh..I think I allready know what my problem was in my small phunnell.

I packed almost all of the tobacco in my small into my alien. I dont think I had nearly enough in it.
[/quote]

Yeah, if you were able to fit nearly all of the tobacco from the Small into the Alien, then you definitely weren't using enough tobacco in the Small.

Yeaaaaaa...Its not going well with the alien lol. Sorry I ment from the CCM's were hanging and I moved them to even with the edge.

I will give it a go tomorrow, tired of messing with it tonight lol.

[/quote]

im my experiences with my alien I had to overpack the hell out of it to get a good enough Coal to tobacco Ratio. Maybe I missed the post but are you using Noir or lucid?

[B]
[/B]
[/quote]

If you had coal on the bowl for 20 min before your first puff, you overheated the bowl. Go ahead and puff away as the bowl heats up, This will also give you some insight into what is happening with the tobacco in terms of heat management.

In fact, if you are going to step away from the bowl for a while take a coal off to prevent over heating the bowl.