Coal Alternatives?

alright ladies and gents im trying to figure out a way to heat the shisha without using coals, i was actually thinking of some sort of electrical heating system, i was thinking about this when i was looking at my electric stove. when i saw that i was thinking since they were able to bend that into a circle, maybe it would be possible to find another piece of heating coil that i could bend to place on top/ around the bowl to evenly burn ALL the shisha in the bowl. i am also wondering if you guys could possibly come up with other ideas to burn the shisha with out the inhalation of ash. lol also this is my first time here, so i hope to get good responses to help aid in a coal alternative.

there are some companies that have experimented with ideas in this area, but none have been too successful. see, according to what i picked up from other people mentioning this, a coal is roughly at 300 F when just sitting on the bowl, but as you pull through the hookah the extra air increases the temp. to like 350 F, but if it were to stay at 350 F the whole time it would cook the shit out of the tobacco real quick. because of that it is hard to really create an artificial coal that is truly efficient at replicating the actual coal itself. there is a company that has some way to do it, i remember someone posting a link somewhere on the forum about it. if i can dig it up i'll post it here so you can check it out
  • Upvote 1

that would be awesome dude, but i wonder if you could, drop the temp to around 325 or so, i would assume that it would be at a fairly good heat to smoke with out killing the shisha to quickly. idk i was trying to find sights on line to purchase some of the coils to try this but i have yet to find a legit site to buy from.

I remember about a year ago or so there was someone that made something that he could use instead of coals and he posted it on here. If I remember it was kind of complicated to make and I don't think it used a coil but I remember it working. Maybe if you dig around in the do it yourself forum you might be able to dig it back up

Its been tried before. by many people, including myself. You can get the shisha to smoke but its not the same as it is with the coal. the tobacco doesnt taste the same. it seems to take away all the flavor from it.

If you manage to get it to work that would be awesome.

i wonder if the electricity is to intense for the shsisha and it just vaporizes the the mol., honey, glic. and whatever else that isnt tobacco

I've never tried any of those "electric coal" gizmos but the problems are, and always has been, consistent vs. variable heat and conduction vs. convection. I have a couple of ideas on how to get around these issues, but none of them are simple enough to mock up on the kitchen table. Plus I don't like the idea of having to plug in my hookah. ;)

Coconut coals burn at 600+ (Got an IR Thermometer)

It's not energy efficient, or long lasting but grab some lava rocks and throw them in the oven or fire pit and they will work.

lava rocks? that sounds pretty sweet and ya i thought about that whole plug in thing and ya that does sound like a pain in the ass but if there was some way getting a nice convection with a very small fan i wonder if there is any way to get everything to work in sync like i really want to figure out a design to get this shit to work. which makes me think i lava rocks work well i wonder if there are any other rocks that could work that hold the heat longer or something

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1291676029' post='490518']

It's not energy efficient, or long lasting but grab some lava rocks and throw them in the oven or fire pit and they will work.
[/quote]

Lava rocks? Heheh. Check this out: [url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=graphite+blowtorch"]graphite[/url] and a blowtorch.

[quote name='noodle' timestamp='1291695991' post='490544']

[/quote]

Lava rocks? Heheh. Check this out: [url="http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=graphite+blowtorch"]graphite[/url] and a blowtorch.
[/quote]

lol XD thats awesome to bad its at 1500 degree Celsius

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1291713151' post='490563']
try turning you burner upside down on your bowl?
[/quote]

what do you mean by turning your burner upside down?

[quote name='pyrow14' timestamp='1291780243' post='490634']
[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1291713151' post='490563']
try turning you burner upside down on your bowl?
[/quote]

what do you mean by turning your burner upside down?
[/quote]

I think he was joking.. as in put the burner upside down over the bowl to heat it

[/quote]

You have my attention:

How long did they last? I'm thinking a handful of lava rocks on the coil burner and rotate them out. Maybe something like sauna rocks?

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1291904947' post='490755']

[/quote]

You have my attention:

How long did they last? I'm thinking a handful of lava rocks on the coil burner and rotate them out. Maybe something like sauna rocks?

[/quote]

It was a long time ago. I may do again this summer.

But from what I remember, turn you oven on as high as it will go.

If the lava rocks are a good density. You will get a 2:1 ration Time in oven:Time on Bowl.

I put a couple in for 30 minutes and was getting 15-20 minutes on the bowl 20 with a windcover.

As you see not really worth it. Unless your smoking by a fire pit and you just keep some in there and pull them out when you need another one.

Although I agree that a plug-in hookah not favorable, I'm sure that's not a bad idea if it's a portable (for car use) hookah.

Imagine all you gotta do is plug in the ac adapter :D a gadget company needs to make one like this.

thats the spirit nun i like your style and ya dude if i wasnt going any where and i had an adapter right there for my use i wouldnt mind it,

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1292046226' post='490934']
I always have a coil burner plugged in anyway. I'd be all over this; I think since I don't smoke that much, the CO kicks my ass pretty easily.
[/quote]

plug in coal burner? what does that look like lol? sorry still learning all stuff :P

To light your natural coals.[url="http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-34101-Proctor-Silex-Burner/dp/B000690WNU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292109023&sr=8-1"]
[/url]
[url="http://www.amazon.co...92109023&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co...92109023&sr=8-1[/url]

[quote name='Skoozle' timestamp='1292046226' post='490934']
I always have a coil burner plugged in anyway. I'd be all over this; I think since I don't smoke that much, the CO kicks my ass pretty easily.
[/quote]

noob