Smoke Or Vapor?

Sorry for another post, I just realized I stopped typing mid-sentance and forgot to correct it.

[quote name='ih303' timestamp='1288038078' post='486231']
... something else going on that make their smoke plentiful, but not as dense. Has that been ...
[/quote]

[Has that been] y'all's experience as well?

You guys should check the thread I posted about a week ago, from the Bulgarian dude's website.....yes, there is SOME particulate matter from the nargile, but a minute amount compared to normal smoking

[quote name='ih303' timestamp='1288038078' post='486231']
The important thing to remember is how much vapor you actually create smoking hookah compared to a cigarette or cigar. I gaurantee that if you had two identical rooms and introduced identical quantities of smoke and vapor into each room respectively, the one filled with actual smoke would appear significantly more hazy for a significantly longer period of time.[/quote]

And this is the only reason I keep smoking hookah, I know that when compared to other forms of tobacco smoking--well, it doesn't compare.

[quote]
Anyway, I'm sure this is more than what you were after, but hopefully you can get something you can use. :)
[/quote]

I think this is a pretty worthy topic, not sure there's too much you can introduce to the conversation.

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1288046709' post='486259']
You guys should check the thread I posted about a week ago, from the Bulgarian dude's website.....yes, there is SOME particulate matter from the nargile, but a minute amount compared to normal smoking
[/quote]

I remember when you put that up. Makes me wonder how I ever started smoking ciggs in the first place. Makes me wonder how I was able to breathe at all. I still think it's funny that my husband chokes on hookah but not on ciggarettes--even though he tries to take small hits off my hookah (on the rare occasion that I talk him into trying it). I still wonder what it is, precisely, that he's choking on when he can smoke cigg after cigg without a cough.

There's more to it but in simple term:
The idea is to heat/cook the shisha not burn it.
Burning results in combustion and tar formation like cigs do. When u finish with a shisha u can still combust the used shisha by burning it which would result in tar and dust.

U should check out the thread hassouni has pulled out. See the difference in a simple experiment between cigs and shisha

Ps no ones denying shisha isn't bad for you

[quote] I still think it's funny that my husband chokes on hookah but not on ciggarettes--even though he tries to take small hits off my hookah (on the rare occasion that I talk him into trying it). I still wonder what it is, precisely, that he's choking on when he can smoke cigg after cigg without a cough.
[/quote]

I know cigarettes have chemicals that are cough suppressants, because no one wants to cough while smoking. I'm assuming shisha does not have any of those chemicals, which is why when i fuck up my tangiers I cough like theres no tomorrow. If he normally coughs throughout the day when he's not smoking, it's probably due to this reason. Jus a guess tho.

Also, I'd have to agree with the last couple of posts, stating that most of the "smoke" is vapor, but certainly not ABSOLUTELY 100% of it. I've smoked cigarettes inside with friends at their houses, and it is disgusting and smoky when you walk in even with the windows open...never seen that with shisha.
But when it comes to smoke alarms, I've set off smoke alarms before from taking too long of a shower, so they can be set off by vapor as well. So it makes sense to me that too much shisha smoke would set one off sometimes even if it is mostly vapor. If it was smoke it would be set off everytime right?

My mother smokes cigs for over 30 years, and it realy makes me wonder why she cannot inhale hookah and cannot bare the smell of it, she sais it makes her dizzy.

We should check about those chemichals in cigs that prevent coughing.

Also, I got a question, after some time smoking an egyptian bowl, at lets say.. the middle of my session (or a little earlier) when I blow through hookah, I can see smoke coming out of the bowl, any of you guys noticed that? I think it's the smoke coming from the burnt tobacco, on the top layer. Is it normal?

[quote name='momentum' timestamp='1288064543' post='486303']
I know cigarettes have chemicals that are cough suppressants, because no one wants to cough while smoking. I'm assuming shisha does not have any of those chemicals, which is why when i fuck up my tangiers I cough like theres no tomorrow. If he normally coughs throughout the day when he's not smoking, it's probably due to this reason. Jus a guess tho. [/quote]

Interesting. And scary, a chemical added to ciggs to make it easier for you to keep smoking. Just lovely.

[quote]Also, I'd have to agree with the last couple of posts, stating that most of the "smoke" is vapor, but certainly not ABSOLUTELY 100% of it. I've smoked cigarettes inside with friends at their houses, and it is disgusting and smoky when you walk in even with the windows open...never seen that with shisha.[/quote]

I've only had it happen with one shisha--I didn't like it at all. Made me really wonder at the quality of that shisha.

[quote name='Voliminal' timestamp='1288078174' post='486326']
My mother smokes cigs for over 30 years, and it realy makes me wonder why she cannot inhale hookah and cannot bare the smell of it, she sais it makes her dizzy.[/quote]

Hubby hasn't complained about getting dizzy, but then, he's never smoked much hookah with me. He definitely has trouble inhaling it though. He usually gives up on it pretty quick and goes out for a cigg. I've seen a LOT of smokers do that, they'll sit and smoke with you for 30 minutes or so and then insist they need a cigg. I get the impression that they're definitely not getting enough nicotine from the shisha--but then, I've only witnessed this while smoking AF, I wonder if regular smokers would still need a cigg break with Nakhla.

[quote]We should check about those chemichals in cigs that prevent coughing.[/quote]

That makes me nervous, I mean, I wouldn't want to suppress my body's ability to say, "STOP, that's enough!"

[quote]Also, I got a question, after some time smoking an egyptian bowl, at lets say.. the middle of my session (or a little earlier) when I blow through hookah, I can see smoke coming out of the bowl, any of you guys noticed that? I think it's the smoke coming from the burnt tobacco, on the top layer. Is it normal?
[/quote]

Oh yes, all the time. That stuff is sitting up there baking away, makes sense that if you blow UP through it smoke is going to rise out of it. If I see smoke rising from it when I'm not purging, I'll adjust the coals because, I assume, the shisha is getting overcooked.

I seriously doubt there's enough moisture in shisha to produce that much "vapor".

When you blow your smoke out at an object, does it get covered in moisture? And why don't cheap hookah hoses rust out instantly after smoking if it's all (or mostly) vapor? And why is the tobacco charred and black when you clean out the bowl, when it should be "cooked"? Edited by Epoch

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1288122401' post='486420']
I seriously doubt there's enough moisture in shisha to produce that much "vapor".

When you blow your smoke out at an object, does it get covered in moisture? And why don't cheap hookah hoses rust out instantly after smoking if it's all (or mostly) vapor? And why is the tobacco charred and black when you clean out the bowl, when it should be "cooked"?
[/quote]

As to your last question, the tobacco is black, but its all there, intact. What happens when you smoke a cigar or cigarette? It turns to grey ash because it actually combusted. Not so in our case.

I see, but it still smolders and chars, correct? Smoldering is what produces dense smoke, like in a hookah.

Humidifiers make vapor, but it's wispy, not like shisha smoke which is thick and dense. It also requires a LOT of water to run as long as my hookah smokes, and everything near it gets very, very wet.

Shisha smoke just behaves more like smoke than vapor in my experience.

think of a fog machine. The fog is thick and lingers for a while. its not smoke but looks like it. The main ingredient for fog juice is either glycerin or poly glycol.
the two main ingredients of hookah tobacco and e-ciggs. Its vapor (not water vapor but glycerin) it is not smoke. smoke only occurs when you burn something. charcoal does not get hot enough to ignite the very damp,sticky,wet tobacco. is it good for you...NO. is it as bad as cigarettes...unlikely. Is it smoke definitely NOT.
Ray

When you blow your smoke out at an object, does it get covered in moisture? And why don't cheap hookah hoses rust out instantly after smoking if it's all (or mostly) vapor? And why is the tobacco charred and black when you clean out the bowl, when it should be "cooked"?
[/quote]

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1288153044' post='486497']
I see, but it still smolders and chars, correct? Smoldering is what produces dense smoke, like in a hookah.

Humidifiers make vapor, but it's wispy, not like shisha smoke which is thick and dense. It also requires a LOT of water to run as long as my hookah smokes, and everything near it gets very, very wet.

[/quote]
lol

[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1288048695' post='486267']
here it is [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/39704-looky-what-i-found/"]http://www.hookahfor...y-what-i-found/[/url]
[/quote]

this came in so handy for my paper about hookah.

[quote name='Arcane' timestamp='1288202187' post='486562']

[/quote]

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1288153044' post='486497']

[/quote]
lol
[/quote]

I didn't know that assuming shisha smoke is actually smoke was funny.

[quote name='agunn1231' timestamp='1288202957' post='486566']
[quote name='Hassouni' timestamp='1288048695' post='486267']
here it is [url="http://www.hookahforum.com/topic/39704-looky-what-i-found/"]http://www.hookahfor...y-what-i-found/[/url]
[/quote]

this came in so handy for my paper about hookah.
[/quote]

This is also a good video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGE4yXRFaB0 : Although nothing about hookah,but it just seemed appropriate to me . Really ugly the outcome.

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old but I had a question about whether hookah is creating smoke or vapor. Everyone seems to be saying that the tobacco is heated up by the coal and not actually being burned so you can't get smoke. But the coal is being burned so wouldn't there be smoke being created by that?

I know this thread is old but I had a question about whether hookah is creating smoke or vapor. Everyone seems to be saying that the tobacco is heated up by the coal and not actually being burned so you can't get smoke. But the coal is being burned so wouldn't there be smoke being created by that?

No. My coals don't put off smoke, anyway. Maybe others do, but the natural coconut coals I use do not. You'll notice that if you ever see wisps of smoke coming off of a bowl being lit by coal, the wisps are coming from the tobacco under the foil, not the coals.

So I'm gonna say no, there is no worry of inhaling smoke from coals, because it just simply is not a factor to consider.