What Are You Reading?

Stuie

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1346180093' post='555308']
I go from the really serious stuff, history, biographies, etc., to the lighter stuff - all on a Kindle. My Kindle has probably been my favorite purchase over the past several years. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having an entire library in my hand. Right now I'm working on a Lincoln Child book by the name of Utopia. For those who don't know Child writes what are really thrillers but there's usually a touch of the spooky in there somewhere.

'Rani
[/quote]
I have a nook, it's alright but kinda glitchy. I really prefer actual books but I do like having the option of reading a book there too, especially if it's a book that I don't know if I will enjoy, if I do like it I go out and find a hard copy lol. It also comes in handy for school, just keeping my text books on there, less to carry

[quote name='agunn1231' timestamp='1346201877' post='555330']
I go from the really serious stuff, history, biographies, etc., to the lighter stuff - all on a Kindle. My Kindle has probably been my favorite purchase over the past several years. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE having an entire library in my hand. Right now I'm working on a Lincoln Child book by the name of Utopia. For those who don't know Child writes what are really thrillers but there's usually a touch of the spooky in there somewhere.

'Rani
[/quote]
I have a nook, it's alright but kinda glitchy. I really prefer actual books but I do like having the option of reading a book there too, especially if it's a book that I don't know if I will enjoy, if I do like it I go out and find a hard copy lol.[b] It also comes in handy for school, just keeping my text books on there, less to carry[/b]
[/quote]

good god man....didnt know you could do that with a nook 0.o.....that one thing would be worth it for me to buy it

[quote name='headhunter' timestamp='1346204147' post='555334']

'Rani
[/quote]
I have a nook, it's alright but kinda glitchy. I really prefer actual books but I do like having the option of reading a book there too, especially if it's a book that I don't know if I will enjoy, if I do like it I go out and find a hard copy lol.[b] It also comes in handy for school, just keeping my text books on there, less to carry[/b]
[/quote]

good god man....didnt know you could do that with a nook 0.o.....that one thing would be worth it for me to buy it
[/quote]

Honestly, you didn't know? I heard recently that something like 70% of all books published within the past 5 years are now available electronically. I understand some of the first to get converted were textbooks, but since I'm many years out of school, don't quote me on that. Oh, and I'm not completely certain about Nook, but you can put a Kindle app on any PC or tablet, even your smart phone so there's no need to buy a "reader-only" if you already have a laptop you're using for school.

'Rani

[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1346252957' post='555367']

'Rani
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Honestly, you didn't know? I heard recently that something like 70% of all books published within the past 5 years are now available electronically. I understand some of the first to get converted were textbooks, but since I'm many years out of school, don't quote me on that. Oh, and I'm not completely certain about Nook, but you can put a Kindle app on any PC or tablet, even your smart phone so there's no need to buy a "reader-only" if you already have a laptop you're using for school.

'Rani
[/quote]

no really i didnt, i mean i am tech savvy (built my own PC) but i really didnt invest time looking into them because i do like actual books better

[quote name='headhunter' timestamp='1346256581' post='555374']
[quote name='Rani' timestamp='1346252957' post='555367']

'Rani
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

'Rani
[/quote]

no really i didnt, i mean i am tech savvy (built my own PC) but i really didnt invest time looking into them because i do like actual books better
[/quote]

We kind of thread jacked, but I do want to say, I still have and buy real books. You're right, there's something about them. And for anything that I consider a valuable book, doesn't have to be expensive, just valuable to me, or a cookbook, etc., that I want to actually lay out and use? Has to be a old fashioned dead tree kinda book. But for reading volumes, Kindle rocks. And I read an average of 5-7 books a week. I spend more on reading material than any other thing except rent. So a hard copy library that size? MUCH easier in a nice little electronic package.

'Rani.

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1346169956' post='555300']
[quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1346135588' post='555225']
I decided to finally read the count of monte cristo it is one of the few books I did not read before I saw the movie.
[/quote]

will ruin the movie for you.
[/quote]It's one of my favorite stories. If you want a modern take on it, "Exact Revenge" by Tim Green is fantastic. I read the book straight through on a flight from San Francisco to Korea.

King, Warrior, Magician, Lover

its about the architypes of the Masculine Male, interesting read, talks about shadows that you must conquer in all the stages of your life that impede your progress into The Mature Male

[quote name='SaintPendulous' timestamp='1346293968' post='555415']
King, Warrior, Magician, Lover

its about the architypes of the Masculine Male, interesting read, talks about shadows that you must conquer in all the stages of your life that impede your progress into The Mature Male
[/quote]
sounds interesting

[quote name='Miss Crafted' timestamp='1346355565' post='555462']
The Complete Guide to Chakras: Vintage Edition by Ambika Wauters
[/quote]

that sounds interesting i might pick that up.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1346221757' post='555352']
Started reading Grimm's Fairy Tales.... I will not be reading these to my kids.
[/quote]
My favorite Grimm's Fairy Tale has to be The Little Mermaid.. Way cooler than Disney

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1346169956' post='555300']
[quote name='Coleman' timestamp='1346135588' post='555225']
I decided to finally read the count of monte cristo it is one of the few books I did not read before I saw the movie.
[/quote]

will ruin the movie for you.
[/quote]

i thought the book was soooo much better then the movie, but the movie was pretty awesome you just wish it was longer lol. but coleman if you read the whole book like all 500+ pages of it you will LOVE IT.

Been reading a lot lately, but today the book is "The Remaining" (Post apocalyptic from the point of view of military), and for my fun/junk book "How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire"

Best part is, I always read for free, using "Pixel of Ink" or the sharing books app that I can't recall the name of currently.

[quote name='Kathrynx' timestamp='1346816594' post='555800']
Been reading a lot lately, but today the book is "The Remaining" (Post apocalyptic from the point of view of military), and for my fun/junk book[u][b] "How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire"[/b][/u]

[/quote]

You'll have to let me know how to do this.

I have been downloading a bunch of Classics for my Kindle from ManyBooks.net for free. Most of the stuff is expired copyright stuff digitized by Gutenberg project. And some just free books on stuff like UNIX Administration and other nerdy books. Got myself quite a library going on.

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1346912742' post='555866']
[quote name='Kathrynx' timestamp='1346816594' post='555800']
Been reading a lot lately, but today the book is "The Remaining" (Post apocalyptic from the point of view of military), and for my fun/junk book[u][b] "How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire"[/b][/u]

[/quote]

You'll have to let me know how to do this.
[/quote]

1. Be a girl that is being hunted by a mafia for witnessing the murder of her friend.
2. Have that mafia be a vampire mafia.
4. Profit.

since my thread was abandoned for this one (:P) imma put up my current book [i]Daughters of Smoke & Bone[/i] By Laini Taylor and so far its a pretty amazing book. You get dropped in, in the middle of action. Action that kinda makes me wonder what is going on, either way the book is what i usually read something in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy region and if you like this type of book try picking it up.

[quote name='headhunter' timestamp='1346357784' post='555468']
[quote name='Miss Crafted' timestamp='1346355565' post='555462']
The Complete Guide to Chakras: Vintage Edition by Ambika Wauters
[/quote]

that sounds interesting i might pick that up.
[/quote]
It's pretty good. More info on Chakras than I've found in a few years.

Merged Stuie's "What Are You Reading?" thread with Headhunter's "Books" thread since they were basically the same topic.

I most recently read the Hunger Games books. Very good. Now I need to go back and finish World War Z. Then I'm going to read The Zombie Survival Guide. After that, I plan on getting to A Song of Ice and Fire (better known as Game of Thrones).