What Are You Reading?

Stuie

[quote name='Tyler' timestamp='1288077472' post='486324']
[quote name='Cp44' timestamp='1288046149' post='486256']
[quote]cracking the Da Vinci code...by...I forgot[/quote]

^Dan Brown
[/quote]

Fail, Cracking the Da Vinci Code wasn't by Dan Brown it was by Simon Cox :P Dan Brown wrote the Da Vinci Code :P
[/quote]

lol all i saw was Da Vinci Code

Again
[img]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0195181387.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]

[img]http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0071276297.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/img]
Again
[img]http://www.broadwayworld.com/columnpic/das-kapital-bank.jpg[/img]

[img]http://books.gigaimg.com/avaxhome/16/1c/000f1c16_medium.jpeg[/img]

Yeah... If you knew me you'd realize these are all for 1 intent and purpose. At least I enjoy it

Finished "In Your Dreams" by Tom Holt the other night. Then I realized... crap there is one more book in the series. So I start reading it last night. "Earth, Fire, and Custard" I know i should be reading a non fiction book now... but these books are so good. Plus Got through 4 Chapters of Fight Club the other day sitting at the tire shop.

• 2 weeks later...
Im Reading On the Genealogy of Morals By Friedrich Nietzsche (very slowly i might add) but im reading slowly to better grasp it.....I definately enjoy his views and agree with some no matter how out dated some of them may be

[quote name='Lucy Ford' timestamp='1288043354' post='486245']
I'm actually required to read "World War Z" by Max Brooks for my current english class. Pretty badass professor. If you read Max's first zombie book you should definitely pick it up.
[/quote]

Awesome! I'm reading it for pleasure --- has has to be put on hold for a bit due to schoolwork.

Most of what I'm reading is for school... various essays, mostly.

i finished handling the undead recently (by the guy that wrote "let the right one in") pretty good, different. now i'm reading my first stephen king book "under the dome" i'm kinda feelin it so far, but i'm only around page 60 in a 1000+ page book, so we'll see

Currently reading "Ritual,politics and the city in Fatimid Cairo" by Paula Sanders

Well done, well researched.

[quote name='TweakX4' timestamp='1289407555' post='487883']
i finished handling the undead recently (by the guy that wrote "let the right one in") pretty good, different. now i'm reading my first stephen king book "under the dome" i'm kinda feelin it so far, but i'm only around page 60 in a 1000+ page book, so we'll see
[/quote]

I just started "Under the Dome" myself. Interesting.

[quote name='Genie' timestamp='1289417781' post='487900']

I just started "Under the Dome" myself.  Interesting.
[/quote]

i guess they're turning it into tv series at some point. and when i was at borders picking it up they had a $75 hardbound "collectors" edition next to it. kinda crazy

[quote name='TweakX4' timestamp='1289442395' post='487931']

i guess they're turning it into tv series at some point. and when i was at borders picking it up they had a $75 hardbound "collectors" edition next to it. kinda crazy

[/quote]

Don't have high hopes for that, Haven sucks. I was hoping it would be good since it was based on a King book--one I haven't red yet. I tried to get into it but.... blah.

[quote name='Genie' timestamp='1289450071' post='487939']

Don't have high hopes for that, Haven sucks.  I was hoping it would be good since it was based on a King book--one I haven't red yet.  I tried to get into it but....  blah.
[/quote]

so how far into it are you?

• 4 weeks later...
Man I have been slacking on Reading lately.

Finished "Earth, Fire and Custard" a couple of weeks ago. Just Started "You don't have to be evil to work here, but it helps" by Tom Holt.

Kind of weird as it's the fourth book that builds off the same storyline, and he wrote out the main character in the last book, see a hole for him to reappear, but if it is, it's very cliche. So hopefully It picks up. All his books are a little slow in the start.

I just finished "Assholes Finish First" by Tucker Max. I'm trying to decide what to read next its a toss up between James Patterson "The Quickie", "Private"' or one of my Stephen King books those are the two writers that I have the most of right now. I actually need to try to get a new bookshelf soon the one i have now is full. I want to read "The Southern Vampire Mystery" series too just have to order it along with "The Midnight House" by Alex Brenson

I have began reading the rebel by albert camus and after i finish that i have to decide between Kitchen confidential by anthony bourdain, Walden/civil disobedience by Thoreau and A clockwork orange by Burgess. Tough decision on my hands.

I would go with Kitchen Confidential Confidential, then Walden, then Clockwork Orange. Personally I really need to mix things up, or else I get bored. And trust me after reading a bun of existentialism, Kitchen Confidential will be a welcome relief.

All amazing books by the way, I only wished they did not force me to read Walden when I was in school.

Presently into Salonica, city of ghosts1430-1950 by Mark Mazover
excellent

[quote name='joytron' timestamp='1292095046' post='490972']
I would go with Kitchen Confidential Confidential, then Walden, then Clockwork Orange. Personally I really need to mix things up, or else I get bored. And trust me after reading a bun of existentialism, Kitchen Confidential will be a welcome relief.

All amazing books by the way, I only wished they did not force me to read Walden when I was in school.
[/quote]
I hate when a good book is ruined by the education system. I will now never again be able to read many good books. But i dont find it very hard to stick with a single topic or genre or what ever the proper term is. I actually really enjoy books By Nietzsche. Most philosophy books actually. They prove that there is always one thing that can get you thinking, maybe an epiphany or two haha.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I haven 't done much reading but I am about 1/3 of the way through "You don't have to be evil to work here, but it helps" by Tom Holt and I just picked up "Point Man" by Steve Farrar.

Help me through my visit with my inlaws, I can read as my mother-in-law says I am antisocial... I am not, just anti HER!

1984 is amazing, I've read siddhartha but well my grandmother sent me an early Christmas present this year one of those nifty amazon kindles 2 with the 3g and wifi and a 50 dollar gift card and I've been filling up my kindle with free books and purchased books and I think most of those books in the list are free on amazon at the moment.

So I'm joining on in the list. When I am capable of enlisting hopefully after basic I can take my kindle with me and use that for reading. Though I have nine years and five months to finish that list off I'll start with Siddhartha and reread all the ones I've read in the list...

Though after going through the list I was disappointed that one of my favorite books didn't make the list Farenheit 451 isn't on the list, I think it should be even if schools make you read it...I read it after highschool and just loved the book so much when I wasn't forced to read it.

[quote name='spectrum055' timestamp='1293164015' post='492214']
1984 is amazing, I've read siddhartha but well my grandmother sent me an early Christmas present this year one of those nifty amazon kindles 2 with the 3g and wifi and a 50 dollar gift card and I've been filling up my kindle with free books and purchased books and I think most of those books in the list are free on amazon at the moment.

So I'm joining on in the list. When I am capable of enlisting hopefully after basic I can take my kindle with me and use that for reading. Though I have nine years and five months to finish that list off I'll start with Siddhartha and reread all the ones I've read in the list...

Though after going through the list I was disappointed that one of my favorite books didn't make the list Farenheit 451 isn't on the list, I think it should be even if schools make you read it...I read it after highschool and just loved the book so much when I wasn't forced to read it.
[/quote]
Wow Farenheit 451 is such an amazing book. Well then again most Ray Bradbury books are amazing haha the guy is an excellent writer and amazingly still alive.

1984 is an awesome book and a pretty quick read. it was on of the ones that some of our english classes at my high school had to read, luckily i wasn't in any of those english classes or i never would have read and enjoyed it. they really need to revamp the literature program in public schools.

[quote name='spectrum055' timestamp='1293164015' post='492214']
[/quote]

I love Fahrenheit 451, I've read it a couple of times now and have bought multiple copies to give as gifts. I think it's kind of a nice way to break someone into Sci-Fi as well as it being such a great statement about the value of literature.

• 3 months later...