What Are You Reading?

Stuie

Well I have been on a reading trip lately. I read an article a while back about the 30 books you should read before you are 30. With 6 months left, let's just say I got a late start and won't make that list.
http://www.divinecaroline.com/49804/102633-30-books-everyone-read-30#1

So what are you guys reading. Yeah I know, you should be reading. I think reading in school ruining reading in general for me. Forced to do anything usually ruins it for you.

So what are you reading?

I just finished "The Prince" by Machiavelli

It was interesting. Machiavelli examines power struggles and conquering using the term "Prince" as the man in power or seeking power. It saddens me when you look on what people have down and what really does work to conquer and gain power. For those of you guys looking to climb the corporate ladder this is probably an invaluable book for you.

I am starting "In Your Dreams" by Tom Holt

A Continuation of his book "The Portable Door." Imagine if Harry Potter was written for adults and make it a lot darker and a few drops of insanity. First one was amazing read it in a week during Christmas last year. There is one more in the series "You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps" The only 3 books he has written that actually build off each other.

I have "The Millionaire Next Door" Lined up next.

I've been pretty swamped by school books lately, but the last few books that I finally got around to reading and was thoroughly impressed with were:

Survivor, by Chuck Palahniuk. I know, its either a love or hate with his books. I'm not a really big fan of his usual writing style, but this book was honestly MUCH better than Fight Club.

A Question of Honor, by Lynn Olsen and Stanley Cloud is great if you're interested in the history of WW2. Its about Polish fighter pilots in the RAF.

As far as that list of books to read: Siddhartha, 1984, Catch-22 (My favorite), The Catcher in the Rye... definitely ought to be a priority on that list. Great Gatsby, Art of War, and Origin of Species were either pretty lame or dry in my opinion. Check out Plato's The Republic if you want to keep going down that Political theory course you were getting in The Prince.

-Phil

The Hiding place. - About Cory Tenboom and her experience is the Nazzi concentration camps. VERY good book.

"Why We Suck" by Dr. Denis Leary.

If you are offended easily, believe that everyone should get a trophy even if they lose, have issues with blunt brutal honesty, or buy into this whole kinder gentler America that can't deal with reality without placing the blame on someone else then I would suggest don't read it. If this sounds funny to you, then it is perfect for you.

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1287581948' post='485674']
the resident evil series, david wellingtons monster books, and max brooks world war Z. Notice a theme?
Ray
[/quote]

You know, I'm a pretty big fan of zombie movies and what not- but I just could not finish World War Z. That book was all over the place.

Augustine's Confessions -- for the 9th time. Next: Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle for the 8th time :) Two classic books, whether you're religious or not. Confessions is one of the greatest rhetoric pieces of all time.

Master of the Jinn, a Sufi novel
Just finished:
Dark Sahara, a fascinating study by British anthropologist Jeremy Keenan about a plot by Algerian and American intelligence to create a terror problem in the middle of the desert to justify American troops based in the desert. Yup in Mauretania,Mali and Niger. Keenan has been studying my old traveling companions, the Tuareg for over 50 years. You don't make this shit up.

i'm reading your e-mail....muwahahaha!

Actually, I haven't picked up a book in almost a year...hmmm, i'll buy a book soon though. other than that, i've just finished reading this thread.

I have been reading romance novels lately.
Yes i just admitted that.

There's a new series i started up just in time for Halloween.
These are decently cool vampires.
Kiss of Midnight by Lara Adrian

It's called "The Midnight Breed" series.

One that has totally kick ass vampires, and is my favorite series ever is
[i]JR Ward[/i]'s The Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Well I used to read a lot of fiction and unfortunately my reading suffered because of school, so I stopped for a few years, but since I graduated this past spring I've really gotten into reading success and self improvement books.

Great Author: John Maxwell

Reading a lot of books at once but here are some EVERYONE should read:

Think and Grow Rich: Napoleon Hill (if you've read it, read it again till you apply it)

Using your subconscious mind: (gives a much better explanation of everything in think and grow rich)

The Lucifer Effect

25 Ways to win with people

25 more ways to win with people

How to make friends and influence people

Getting to Yes

I'm a very outgoing person so don't think these only apply if you're trying to improve how you interact with people and get out of your shell. They have revolutionized the way I handle situations with people and as a result I have been much more successful in business lately and just with people in general. I think If everyone read these books and tried to apply them we'd be in a much better state.

Now off topic....

[quote name='Allstar' timestamp='1287575023' post='485666']
"Why We Suck" by Dr. Denis Leary.

If you are offended easily, believe that everyone should get a trophy even if they lose, have issues with blunt brutal honesty, or buy into this whole kinder gentler America that can't deal with reality without placing the blame on someone else then I would suggest don't read it. If this sounds funny to you, then it is perfect for you.
[/quote]

Preach the truth! I hate it how everyone thinks that it's unfair for people NOT to get a trophy and they even banned dodge ball because it picks on kids.
Apparently they've never heard that challenges build character and people strive harder for success when only a few will achieve it. But if everyone gets the same treatment.....who cares to even try?

[quote name='liquidglass' timestamp='1287727196' post='485885']
Well I used to read a lot of fiction and unfortunately my reading suffered because of school, so I stopped for a few years, but since I graduated this past spring I've really gotten into reading success and self improvement books.

Great Author: John Maxwell [color="#ff0000"][b]Good Stuff [/b][/color]

Think and Grow Rich: Napoleon Hill (if you've read it, read it again till you apply it) [color="#ff0000"][b]Read it twice. Just Gave it to Indian Villager[/b][/color]

Using your subconscious mind: (gives a much better explanation of everything in think and grow rich)

The Lucifer Effect

How to make friends and influence people [color="#ff0000"][b]On the Shelf to Read[/b][/color]

Getting to Yes [color="#ff0000"][b]On the Shelf to Read[/b][/color]

I'm a very outgoing person so don't think these only apply if you're trying to improve how you interact with people and get out of your shell. They have revolutionized the way I handle situations with people and as a result I have been much more successful in business lately and just with people in general. I think If everyone read these books and tried to apply them we'd be in a much better state.
[/quote]

I will look at the others you have mentioned. Always wanting to read to improve myself.

One I might suggest to you is [i]QBQ![/i] By John Miller. And his Second Book [i]Flipping the Switch[/i] and he just released a new one this month [i]Outstanding[/i] That I need to order.

"Night Train to Lisbon" by Pascal Mercier. A thought-provoking book about a schoolteacher who drops everything and leaves because of the Portuguese language (pretty much), It's a hard read, but if you enjoy thinking about life, that's a good one.

i like Palahniuk's earlier stuff, but his later stuff has really been crap (imo)  Choke was awesome, easily his best book. tho the movie was terrible.

world war z was pretty damn good too (last i heard, they're working on a movie for it. brad pitt's production company bought the rights to it. could be pretty damn good... or terrible)

i just picked up "handling the undead" from the guy that wrote let the right one in (or the recently released "let me in") i'm not sure what i think of it so far. i'm only about 1/3 of the way through

but i gotta suggest a book to you guys who like horror/comedy/trippy other dimensional things. "john dies at the end" amazing book!

I feel like I read a third of the books on the list when I was in high school.
Right now Im re-reading the Harry Potter series. Because I want to get ready for the movie.

[quote name='Stuie' timestamp='1287759456' post='485920']
[quote name='liquidglass' timestamp='1287727196' post='485885']

Great Author: John Maxwell [color="#ff0000"][b]Good Stuff [/b][/color]

Think and Grow Rich: Napoleon Hill (if you've read it, read it again till you apply it) [color="#ff0000"][b]Read it twice. Just Gave it to Indian Villager[/b][/color]

The Lucifer Effect

How to make friends and influence people [color="#ff0000"][b]On the Shelf to Read[/b][/color]

Getting to Yes [color="#ff0000"][b]On the Shelf to Read[/b][/color]

[/quote]

I will look at the others you have mentioned. Always wanting to read to improve myself.

One I might suggest to you is [i]QBQ![/i] By John Miller. And his Second Book [i]Flipping the Switch[/i] and he just released a new one this month [i]Outstanding[/i] That I need to order.
[/quote]

Great man, glad someone liked the list, so many books out there always hard to find the better ones, I'll def check out the ones you recommended. Got a kindle coming too so should be easy lol.

I'm reading several books as fast as I can because the library got the books I asked them to find for me all at the same time--and I only get them for three weeks. So I ate up Jim Butcher's first Dresden files book last night and now I've got "The Jesus Incident" by Frank Herbert in the bedroom and Shappi Khorsandi's "A Beginner's Guide To Acting English" on the kitchen table. And I'm hoping they don't get any more of my books in before I can finish these two.

I'm actually required to read "World War Z" by Max Brooks for my current english class. Pretty badass professor. If you read Max's first zombie book you should definitely pick it up.

[quote name='Cp44' timestamp='1288046149' post='486256']
[quote]cracking the Da Vinci code...by...I forgot[/quote]

^Dan Brown
[/quote]

Fail, Cracking the Da Vinci Code wasn't by Dan Brown it was by Simon Cox :P Dan Brown wrote the Da Vinci Code :P

I'm re-reading all the books I own because I'm too broke to afford books and I've already read all the books at the library. I'm mainly re-reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series, along with J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series whenever I get bored with SK's stuff. This is of course interspersed with Laurell K Hamilton, Jim Butcher, Karen Marie Moning, MaryJanice Davidson, Yasmine Galenorn, and Charlaine Harris.
Yes I love vampires. No, not because of Twilight. I was about 8 or 9 and my dad basically "forced" me to read Anne Rice's novels and at the same time I got sucked into Buffy. Yeah, I was pretty much screwed after that. Of course, after getting sucked into vamps it was just a hop, jump, and skip away to faeries, werewolves, and other mythological creatures. I pretty much know way more about the fae than any normal, well-adjusted 20 yr old should.
I will say one thing for Twilight, is that it opened the Vampire/fantasy genre back up. There are a lot of new, excellent fantasy authors on the market today because of Stephanie Meyer's popularity.

[quote name='bellydancerakn' timestamp='1288087759' post='486330']
I'm re-reading all the books I own because I'm too broke to afford books and I've already read all the books at the library. [/quote]

I have the same problem, but most libraries can order anything you want for you, you just pay shipping. It costs me from $1.50 to $2.50 per book, I get it for three weeks. That's how I was able to read all the Sookie Stackhouse novels last month! It's pretty awesome since I can't afford to buy everything I want to read and since our library doesn't keep a lot of books on their shelves.

[quote]I pretty much know way more about the fae than any normal, well-adjusted 20 yr old should.
[/quote]

Amen! Piers Anthony got me hooked on fantasy and sci-fi, I'm forever grateful.