I Have Just Bought An Antique Copper Hookah

saffron

Hi,
I've just joined Hookah Forum so I don't really know my way around yet. I've come here to ask for help or at least some wildly knowledgable guidance.
I've just bought an antique hookah made of copper. It is sitting in a tripod which is also made of copper. It has almost all it's parts intact but it seems to be missing its tray. I'd like to post a pic of it but I haven't worked out how to do that yet. Once I sort out how to do this perhaps someone can give me some information about it .
Also does anyone know where I can find the part I need.
I don't want to use this hookah but it would be lovely to see it complete. It is very beautiful.
Ah .... now as I've scrolled down I've just seen the attach file bit on this page. I'll take some pics tomorrow and attach them.
I hope someone reads this and can help. :-)

[quote name='saffron' timestamp='1286703020' post='484568']
Hi,
I've just joined Hookah Forum so I don't really know my way around yet. I've come here to ask for help or at least some wildly knowledgable guidance.
I've just bought an antique hookah made of copper. It is sitting in a tripod which is also made of copper. It has almost all it's parts intact but it seems to be missing its tray. I'd like to post a pic of it but I haven't worked out how to do that yet. Once I sort out how to do this perhaps someone can give me some information about it .
Also does anyone know where I can find the part I need.
I don't want to use this hookah but it would be lovely to see it complete. It is very beautiful.
Ah .... now as I've scrolled down I've just seen the attach file bit on this page. I'll take some pics tomorrow and attach them.
I hope someone reads this and can help. :-)
[/quote]

Get some pics up,

There are plenty of copper pipes out there, hard to tell which one you have without pics.

Ok
I've taken some pics of the hookah. It looks like all the parts are copper but the tripod is brass. The tray is definately missing. I suspect that there's a part of the spout that's missing too. I would love to buy the missing bits.
I'm thinking that this is Kashmiri ........ maybe late 1800s or early 1900s.
I collect Middle Eastern/Moghal antique metalware. I also have a small collection of antique opium paraphenalia mainly Chinese.
Anyway here are some pics.
I'd love some help either with info about the hookah or where to get replacement parts.

Very nice! I'm thinking that from what i can see there is no stem that goes down into the base.Perhaps the stem screwed in to the base . If its just open straight down like a bottle then you need some kind of stem. Iam a great lover of middle eastern metalwork

Hi ,
Thank you for your interest and help. Yes it is open like a bottle. There are no valves or rings or grommets or anything like that to join or close in this hookah. I've just seen an image of one similar to mine that says it's 1700s ......... but that one has even less parts than mine does so I can't see what the missing bits look like.
Would you agree that this is Kashmiri ?
What century do you think?
Do you know of anyone who can supply/make the missing bits ?
I have quite a few pieces of Middle Eastern antque metalware. I especially love ones with caligraphy on them. :
I've attached another pic of the hookah bowl. It sits over the top of a missing bit.
I wish I could find a pic of one that is complete.
Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Well I am no expert but it is certainly Indian and is a style that appears in Mughal minature paintings. If it were mine I would turn a wooden stem, line it with 1/2'' stainless tubing,fashion some kind of grommet as matching the thread might be difficult. If I have access to horizontal metal lathe, you could do wonders . Heres some touristy ones from India [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_hookah_family.jpg"]hookahs[/url]

And check out this metal work[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Big_hookah.jpg"]Malabar hookah[/url]

That's a good point about the Moghal miniatures. I have a couple of books on the miniatures but I don't remember seeing any paintings with hookahs in them. I''ll have a look when I go home tonight..
Sadly I don't have any metal working equipment.
Thanks for the pics. The Malabar hookah was interesting. ......... the Indian tourist ones are very like another one I could have bought but decided not to. The workmanship was ordinary.
I probably should just be grateful that I've got so many pieces for this one as it is. I've got it beside me as I'm working. It's a great pleasure to look at.
It's been heavily raining here for days. I can hear it raining now. I've got to drive home soon.
Anyway thank you so much for your suggestions.
If anything else comes to mind please get in touch with me. :-)

[quote name='mustafabey' timestamp='1286805053' post='484656']
Very nice! I'm thinking that from what i can see there is no stem that goes down into the base.Perhaps the stem screwed in to the base . If its just open straight down like a bottle then you need some kind of stem. Iam a great lover of middle eastern metalwork
[/quote]

I'm thinking the same thing.

I don't think that the tray screws onto where the opening is. To me it looks like the downstem/heart is whats intended for that spot. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if that pipe never had a tray, not too many of the older brass pipes were made to accommodate charcoal trays, at least that I've seen.

As far as parts goes....seems like a shot in the dark on everything its missing. I don't think its going to be an easy find to say the least. Good luck though, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything that looks compatible.

[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1286902001' post='484798']
[/quote]

I don't think that the tray screws onto where the opening is. To me it looks like the downstem/heart is whats intended for that spot. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if that pipe never had a tray, not too many of the older brass pipes were made to accommodate charcoal trays, at least that I've seen.

As far as parts goes....seems like a shot in the dark on everything its missing. I don't think its going to be an easy find to say the least. Good luck though, and I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything that looks compatible.
[/quote]

No tray ........... that's very interesting. That means I don't have to look for one then which is a relief. :-)
I really would like something compatible and plausible for it. It has it's own integrity.
I'll keep checking ebay. Sometimes amazing things come up on there.
Thank you for keeping an eye out for something suitable. That's really good of you. :-)

[quote name='saffron' timestamp='1286962971' post='484915']
[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1286902001' post='484798']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]