Canker Sore Anomaly

I thoroughly enjoy hookah, but my boyfriend's been getting canker sores every time we smoke from the hookah we have. We recently tried smoking it after not smoking from it for a few months, and while it hit very well, he still got sores in his mouth.
I have never gotten canker sores from hookah.
We occasionally smoke cigs and don't get sores from that.
We've changed the hose and cleaned it.

We're going to clean the whole damn thing and see if that does anything. I'm hoping for the best because I miss having hookah night with him.

Has any one else had a similar problem with sores? Any ideas of what we could do about the hookah? Could it even be the shisha itself?

Thanks bunches!

he probably has herpes, so it'll be a lifelong problem. i'm assuming if the mouthtip causes small abrasions around his mouth, he'd be prone to outbreaks...

if this is the case, the only suggestion i could make is to get some medicine to keep the flare ups down...and hope for the best.

The sores aren't around his mouth, and are actually pretty deep in his mouth. Under the tongue, inside the lip next to the bottom of the gum; they aren't visible at all from the outside or even when he's talking.
We share the same hose, and we've been dating for close to 2 years. If it were herpes or something else viral I would probably have gotten it by now too. Thanks though!

BTW, canker sores and herpes are two different things.

Canker sores are classified as ulcers or aphtous.....and there isnt really a known cause (or a cure) for them. Mouthwash a few times a day is all you can really do, get some orajel and put it on that bitch to ease the pain a bit.

So if it really is a canker sore, then just ride it out.
But like Jay said, it could be something more serious, if its persistant id go get it checked out.[b]

Google is the shit.
[/b]

[quote name='noodle' timestamp='1285744262' post='483513']
Read the wikipedia article on [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthous_ulcer/"]aphthous ulcer[/url] and see if any of that makes sense.
[/quote]

link is broken dood

I agree with the doctor. I will take a lot of things lightly, my health is not one of them.

Have him see a doctor.

Smoking could be coincidental, most likely the smoke is irritating an already existing condition. Possibly bacteria imbalance, or weakened immunity.

Herpes Simplex 1 doesn't react like that. I know. If it did I would have the same problem and my wife would have caught it by now. HS1 manifests externally.

Clean everything real well. All the time.

Grab some mouth tips Best ones are the Coconara Tips, Kanara Tips, and Tiki Tips. All same design, best air flow for mouth tips.

But even then you can't rule out an allergy to tobacco. I don't hear about it much but I have met a guy who was. Basic allergy test is covered by most health plans, so it's something he might want to look into.

[quote name='Travis' timestamp='1285744406' post='483514']
[quote name='noodle' timestamp='1285744262' post='483513']
Read the wikipedia article on [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthous_ulcer/"]aphthous ulcer[/url] and see if any of that makes sense.
[/quote]

link is broken dood
[/quote]

Whoops.. Trailing slash.
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthous_ulcer"]aphthous ulcer[/url]

i kinda had a similar problem not on the inside of my lip but more towards the back of my mouth. i think it had something to do with the way i moved my mouth and tongue when i smoked i only got them when i first started smoking, i think i must have rubbed the lining to thin or something causing a sore. I havent gotten anything for about year so my explanation to myself was that smoking caused my mouth to rub against certain areas that werent touching all the much before. this is all not a definite answer but i could not think of anything else that caused them...didnt change diet, brushing habits or stress levels just added smoking. I have continuously smoked for year with nothing popping up. its kinda like bitting the inside of your lip, your mouth is sensitive skin i wouldn't think it would take much to irritate it.

*edit... i havent changed the pipe or hose i used either Edited by king_lunchb0x

Widely known as cold sores or fever blisters, herpes labialis is a common and generally benign viral condition that produces painful and frequently unsightly sores on the lips or adjacent skin. The virus may also cause sores on the bone-bearing tissues such as the gums and the roof of the mouth.

In the U.S., up to 60 percent of children are exposed to the virus by late puberty and nearly 90 percent of adults carry the virus by age sixty. Only about 40 percent of those infected experience outbreaks of oral herpes.

If you are in relatively good health, oral herpes is a self-limiting annoyance. Even left untreated, it runs its course in about seven to 14 days. And while it may affect merely the quality of life in those who are otherwise healthy, the condition can be dangerous among infants, the elderly and those who are immunocompromised by conditions such as HIV/AIDS, leukemia or organ transplantation.

Please see your Doctor

Ray

[quote name='Venger' timestamp='1285790081' post='483573']
Widely known as cold sores or fever blisters, herpes labialis is a common and generally benign viral condition that produces painful and frequently unsightly sores on the lips or adjacent skin.
[/quote]
Cold sores and canker sores are two different things as said before. But yeah the doctors are good.