Balancing Smoke Thickness And Burning Shisha

Hey guys,

I've currently been experimenting a bit, and I've been difficulty finding a balance between maximum thickness of smoke without burning the tobacco.

I'm smoking out of a 28" MYA Francesco. I have two different bowls, the standard unglazed MYA (10-15 grams) and a similar sized glazed Egyptian bowl. Both produce similar results, although the MYA bowl burns a little bit slower.

I use Coco Naras, usually split in half, and smoke good tobacco, Al Fakher, Starbuzz, Nakhla, fresh and moist - never old or dry. We have yet to try Tangiers. I've tried tin foil with numerous hole patterns, as well as metal screens.

It seems that as soon as the smoke gets as thick as I'd like it, it begins burning and smoking out of the top. I see pictures on here where you guys are blowing out some serious clouds, and I'd love that experience without torching the shisha.

What do you guys do to produce such ridiculously thick smoke without burning the shisha or losing flavor?

[quote name='kmccoy90' timestamp='1285615396' post='483313']
Hey guys,

I've currently been experimenting a bit, and I've been difficulty finding a balance between maximum thickness of smoke without burning the tobacco.

I'm smoking out of a 28" MYA Francesco. I have two different bowls, the standard unglazed MYA (10-15 grams) and a similar sized glazed Egyptian bowl. Both produce similar results, although the MYA bowl burns a little bit slower.

I use Coco Naras, usually split in half, and smoke good tobacco, Al Fakher, Starbuzz, Nakhla, fresh and moist - never old or dry. We have yet to try Tangiers. I've tried tin foil with numerous hole patterns, as well as metal screens.

It seems that as soon as the smoke gets as thick as I'd like it, it begins burning and smoking out of the top. I see pictures on here where you guys are blowing out some serious clouds, and I'd love that experience without torching the shisha.

What do you guys do to produce such ridiculously thick smoke without burning the shisha or losing flavor?
[/quote]

I have to tell you I don't think there is a tried and true formula because it's so influenced by ambient temperature and humidity. I have in my coal stock, CH Naturals, CH Quick lights, Golden Quick lights, and Al Ajadad naturals. In bowls I have Mya bowls, regular Egyptians, Tangiers bowls, Tangiers phunnels, etc. Picking one or the other depending on temperature and humidity, may work like a charm, or I may have to toss the combination and start over with a different bowl and coal setup. I know there's scientific theory involving dryness of the tobacco, packing, coals, and bowls, but when you add the variables of temperature and humidity, it's as close to "fucking magic" as I've ever come across. There are likely successful strategies for your particular location but you almost have to approach it from the scientific exploration principles. I know humidity seems to affect my coco based coals more. Seems like out of no where they start scorching like crazy. So when those are acting up, I bring out the Goldens. And I'm, ahem, "golden" again.

Also, sometimes you may not realize how thick the smoke actually is because you're in the middle of the cloud. I thought one time I was getting okay smoke, and when I looked back at a picture taken by a friend, it was pretty damned amazing. And I had no clue.

'Rani

When I started getting insane sessions (smoke and flavor), I realized my obsessiveness was killing my sessions.

Meaning, the flavor was 100% (or as close too...) and the smoke was also ~100%. I would always "push the envelope" and burn the shit out of the shisha.

If you get FEEDBACK from your friends / people around you, or record yourself (as I do constantly), you will realize you are in fact getting monster smoke and are pushing for no reason. This means, if its GOOD. Leave it alone. Let the coals lie. You don't have to be ADD all the time. I am consistently working on improvement (across all spectrums of how I live), and that can be a detriment with hookah if you have become a "meistro" over the last few years. You hit a plateau of how much smoke and flavor you can get.

Try to take a step back.

But, if your just failing repeatedly, learn to pack better :D

Not everything works for every person. There isn't like an exact formula or anything, cause of too many variables.
Shisha
Bowl
Hoses
Stem
Base
Amount of Water/ Liquid in Base
How much you draw/airflow
Ambient Temp
ect..

And so forth...

Generally, what I got to work the best.

Coconaras + Phunnel.

I cut the coco in half, and rotate both pieces in 90 degree increments around the top of the phunnel. I usually move them every 10-15 minutes or so. This helped prevent the torching charcoal harsh taste, while still giving me plenty of smoke to enjoy.

Some other tips, double layer of foil.
Try a half of a coco nara at a time.

And to be honest, you might not realize how huge your smoke is at times.

[quote name='Epoch' timestamp='1285642295' post='483367']
Do you have a big-ass hose? A wide hose will get ya lots of smoke volume quickly.
[/quote]

I read that as ass-hole...........

Double take was needed.

[quote name='hookah hippie' timestamp='1285629613' post='483334']
Trial and error with patience is key. You will eventually find perfect way to manage your hookah
[/quote]

Then as soon as you are sure you have it all figured out, you will have a few perfect days, then it will all go to hell, and for some reason, not work that way any more.

Or is that just my luck?

[quote name='TheScotsman' timestamp='1285729794' post='483472']
[quote name='hookah hippie' timestamp='1285629613' post='483334']
Trial and error with patience is key. You will eventually find perfect way to manage your hookah
[/quote]

Then as soon as you are sure you have it all figured out, you will have a few perfect days, then it will all go to hell, and for some reason, not work that way any more.

Or is that just my luck?
[/quote]

the only thing consistent from bowl to bowl is the inconsistency.
Ray