Discolored Water

Hey everyone,

So I've had my MYA for almost two months now. Previously I had a hookah with a purple base so I never noticed this, but the base of this one is clear. I'm noticing that the molasses from the shisha is making its way down the stem into the water, changing the water to pink or brown or whatever color the shisha happens to be (we smoke primarily Al Fakher). I've just been using the stock MYA bowl and another regular ceramic bowl on it. I know that phunnel-style bowls will eliminate this, but I was wondering if perhaps I'm doing something wrong? I'm pretty experienced and knowledgeable about everything, and the smoke isn't suffering - always flavorful - but it's kind of unappetizing as the base water slowly turns colors. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

My water color would change when I smoked SB out of the stock bowl. now I pretty much do mizo which isn't as juicy as SB and AF and haven't had any probs with water color out of a normal bowl. So I guess if you smoke the juicier type tobaccos best to go with a phunnel. It's what I have done and great results as well.

You're not doing anything wrong.

Basically what you're doing is heating up the tobacco to the point where the sugar base(s)/flavors are liquifying and flowing downward towards the bottom of the head of your bowl. This is less noticable in a phunnel since its hole is not in the bottom. However as the sugar base heats, it expands and in the case of phunnels can crest over the central hole or even the outside of the bowl. The tighter your pack, the more likely this will happen.

It's for this reason that I generally avoid hookahs with clear bases especially at my lounge. Nothing sets off a hookah like a beautifal, clear vase filled with nasty, brown water. It'd be nice if someday someone invented a hookah or bowl with a drip tray or something. While I don't really think it affects the smoke, it certainly doesn't look good.

Thanks guys! I figured that I wasn't doing anything wrong, but I just wanted to make sure. And you're absolutely right, ih303 - the discolored water is definitely psychologically unappealing, made worse with the clear base. I still love this thing though.

clean the base? clean the stem? if its a standard bowl juices will run down, airate the shisha a little before you start? I mean it wont affect anything at all.