Starbuzz Files Lawsuits Against Competition

Have you guys heard about this? Starbuzz has filed for a bunch of trademarks. Some of them they've won, others they haven't. They've been sending out cease and desist letters to a bunch of competing tobacco manufacturers, like JM's, Tonic and Fusion, to name a few. I wrote a full article about it on my site, so I won't double up on the content. But here's the link. I think it's worth reconsidering whether we want to give money to a company like this.

http://www.hookahreport.com/2010/08/starbuzz-tobacco-files-questionable-trademarks-sends-cease-desist-letters-to-the-competition/

I hadn't heard about that. What a bunch of garbage. Thanks for the info.

jeez, that is just ridiculous. they can get away with trademarking names of tobacco that are already names of drinks and other products? this is absurd. i'd say we should start boycotting starbuzz, but i haven't smoked starbuzz in a few months so i kinda already am. lol

Done and Done....I am not smoking any more SB.:post-5619-1201289386:

I spoke with a member of the hookah industry yesterday (who wishes to remain anonymous) and made some good points that public disapproval is likely the only way to stop Starbuzz actions.

US Trademarks can be submitted to customs. When an importer attempts to import something that violates on of those trademarks, the import is rejected. Some of Starbuzz's trademarks could be viewed as a strategic move to minimize brands like AF and Nak. Of course, there's no way to know right now whether Starbuzz has submitted anything to customs yet, but the risk is real. Furthermore, Starbuzz has a huge stock pile of money and they could sit in courtrooms for years without taking a major financial hit. Even if they lose, a year of litigation can run as much as $80,000. How many tobacco manufacturers do you think can afford that kind of money? Even if they win, they might be bankrupt when their finished.

Starbuzz's moves are subtle, but could be really dangerous to the consumer. If you can, I suggest hitting up twitter, and Facebook and digg with this stuff. The best thing we can do is first, don't buy Starbuzz products and, second, try and spread the word as fast as possible.

Does anybody know what happened when the article says that Fusion "folded" under Starbuzz's pressure?  I assume it just means that they will stop using widespread used flavor names like double apple, guava,  and sex on the beach, that Starbuzz is claiming as their own.

[quote name='Click' timestamp='1282155270' post='479423']
Does anybody know what happened when the article says that Fusion "folded" under Starbuzz's pressure? I assume it just means that they will stop using widespread used flavor names like double apple, guava, and sex on the beach, that Starbuzz is claiming as their own.
[/quote]

I wasn't able to reach Fusion for comment. In fact, I can't even find a wholesale website with contact information. Fusion's 'folding' was some inside information provided by an industry professional who wishes to remain unnamed. I assume it means that instead of going to court, they stopped selling the 'infringing' flavors until they can come up with different names.

wow that's just lame i understand competition is tough, but really... hey starbuzz instead of putting this money towards lawsuits and lawyers how about putting it towards making better shisha at better prices...

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' timestamp='1282163142' post='479447']
Wow, how stupid is Starbuzz? They pull out every trick they can, huh? Guess I'm not smoking SB Pineapple ever again, the only flavor I liked anyway...
[/quote]
Srsly.  This annoys me purely because they are going after small companies like JM and Tonic.  I guess since they are in the US its easier for SB to sue them.  AF and Nak should just sit on their ass for claiming DA, sweet melon, etc, as their own. 

I don't blame them for going after other companies for making extremely obvious knock-off flavors. I really don't give enough of a shit to boycott a brand for defending their livelihood, but I am surprised that they aren't trying to get rid of all of the blue mist impersonators since that's their "flagship" flavor.

But I do agree that them trying to claim guava, sweet melon, double apple, sex on the beach is pretty much horse shit.

[quote name='Tom16689' timestamp='1282171133' post='479467']
I don't blame them for going after other companies for making extremely obvious knock-off flavors. I really don't give enough of a shit to boycott a brand for defending their livelihood, but I am surprised that they aren't trying to get rid of all of the blue mist impersonators since that's their "flagship" flavor.

But I do agree that them trying to claim guava, sweet melon, double apple, sex on the beach is pretty much horse shit.
[/quote]

starbuzz cant claim double apple, sweet melon and other staple flavors because nakhla was making that shit since back in the day man not knocking u or anything but i think starbuzz is shit anyway

[quote name='jeremyk' timestamp='1282175710' post='479472']
[quote name='Tom16689' timestamp='1282171133' post='479467']

[/quote]

starbuzz cant claim double apple, sweet melon and other staple flavors because nakhla was making that shit since back in the day man not knocking u or anything but i think starbuzz is shit anyway
[/quote]

Huh.... That's exactly what I said in the last sentence, unless there's another meaning for "horse shit" that I was unaware of. :P

[quote name='Click' timestamp='1282155270' post='479423']
Does anybody know what happened when the article says that Fusion "folded" under Starbuzz's pressure? I assume it just means that they will stop using widespread used flavor names like double apple, guava, and sex on the beach, that Starbuzz is claiming as their own.
[/quote]

usually, in the business world, when someone or a company folds it means they closed down.

So. My question is what happens when they try to get strawberry, or simple fruit flavors? Do fruit growers have to pay a royalty? how far does this idiocy go down the tree? I wasn't aware that, like others have said, you could file this on things like alcoholic drinks.

it doesn't help that, at least in my experience, most shops use it and it is always pegged as "the beginner shisha." like when i think of the shisha that takes the least know-how to set up and still get good sessions, i think of starbuzz