Cyber Punk Hookah

spectrum055

So I'll try to explain this idea that me and a friend are planning when we have some extra cash.

Downstem:
a polished metal (Stainless steel? or what ever is suggested for a good long lasting down stem.
out down stem (A clear plastic tube or thicker glass) to protect the electronics. In the inner area between the down stem and outer stem will house probably fiber optic tubes and the top or bottom will have LED's to light up the tubes. So the LED would be a multi colored LED. Also add a digital read out that if you want you can plug your computer in and have the read out scroll the flavor, or what ever it is you feel like it to show.

Base, would have a light under it to light up the water perhaps a neon green or what ever you want. Haven't gone completely over this yet so it's still a gray area.

Hose :
really want to put on the hose connector that when you start to draw on the hose that it lights up and gives color to the smoke as it goes through the hose.

That's really all I have so far. As soon as we start making this I'll post pictures for you all to see.

[quote name='ezxen' date='09 August 2010 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1281410030' post='478270']
For the hose light up have an led where you plug it in and use an auto seal system with a ball barring so when you draw it will hit and complete the circuit
[/quote]

OOoo I didn't think about that but that would be cheaper then the route I was going... I was also considering using surface mount LED's for the hose but probably a dimmer green for the smoke?

also if this works out, and everybody likes it I wouldn't mind making some more for others, and I would probably just charge for the parts used perhaps...or just post up pictures for a how to guide and costs of stuff?

I also want to make the hookah I drew for my signature any idea's on finding a jar or something like that for the base?

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
[quote name='Jayme Gober' timestamp='1289035962' post='487405']
I may make a steampunk hookah myself... I've always wanted at least SOMETHING steampunk style, and a hookah would be bad ass!
[/quote]
He said cyber punk. Somethign more like the laser and plasma rifles of Fallout.

here are some steampunk hookahs
[img]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/221/9/7/Steampunk_Hookah_by_RagingSquism.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/maddmattt/hookah11.jpg[/img]

• 7 months later...
I'm just wondering if this project ever came to fruition?

I do like this idea, if I had the time I would love to get into this... I have long been into cyberpunk and enjoy the stylings.
Such a shame that our resident cyber store (cyberdog) has turned more into a tacky crap reseller and inspiration from techno-anime rather than good proper cyberpunk :(

anywho... here's a couple of brainfarts I had -

For those 'digital readouts' how about one of those scrolling LED belt buckles or Tshirt panels... you can program in several messages and then push a button to switch between them.
I picked up a mains rechargeable one for £20... some are more expensive but simple ones are cheap. You could make it into a detachable panel that you could wear afterwards saying 'hookah done' :P

There's also countless 'sound reactive' modules - If you could wedge one of those inside, every time it bubbles it could turn on a circuit.
Some of them are volume reactive so as to put out a different amount of electricity depending on the volume of the sound.... if you pull hard it could shine brighter :)

I suspect this project has died but would love to see it come about. I don't have much time for this kind of project but would love to see it!

[quote name='Sumoninja92' timestamp='1307766723' post='512331']
I like that second one.
[/quote]

Yeah me too but it seems that the green "lightblub" and the tubes dont do anything and thats a shame :(

Its still cool tho

• 2 months later...
ya I was trying to figure out the "green one" too. one of the most concerning parts is the fact that it appears to be made entirely out of copper witch would be a bad choice for A) flavor and B) ingesting copper can make you go blind. I was hooping that the green tube was the vase but the more I look at it the more I think its just a counter wait so the whole thing doesn't fall over. that first one tho is pretty inventive.

I tried to make my ow hooka once, couldn't think of a way to make the bowl stay on (out a tap and di)

its hard to find GOOD guides on line, there mostly kids making hookahs out of garbage (ie. water bottles and sockets/ vodka bottles and ball point pens) if some one has or could point me in the direction of a decent guide Id lode to take another stab at it. :)