Steampunk-Esqe Hookah Design. Criticisms?

babybacon

Hello, I have built quite a few hookah's so far. but this one seems to be the most fun. Its a 4 chamber set-up. Where the main stream of smoke splits into two streams which then flow into the first 2 vases then out of those into another 2 vases then finally they are rejoined and attached to a hose. I kept the choke point of the system to about 40mm^2 I found that this area seemed to provide optimum smoke while supplying enough air through to make it easy to smoke.

here is a pic.

[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs205.snc4/38575_1335106457248_1218669129_30737674_2016445_n.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking, and helping.
  • Upvote 1

[quote name='ryno' date='05 August 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1281039693' post='477837']
Looks pretty cool. Is it hard to draw smoke with that many chambers? I'd imagine the pull is kind of tight.
[/quote]

Suprisingly, no actually it smokes quite well the draw is pretty steady and it takes about 3-4 seconds to get a good lungfull.

that was one of the things i was worried about but i did some calculation on the piping before i went through with it all. its why i didnt have it going from 1 into 2 into 3 into 4. instead it splits.

hard to believe there is over 10ft of stem there.

[quote name='Hassouni' date='05 August 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1281051231' post='477859']
Can we get a video of that beast?
[/quote]

Sure, ill remember to take some video of it next time i light it up. It will probably be later today.

[quote name='babybacon' date='05 August 2010 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1281051453' post='477861']
[quote name='Hassouni' date='05 August 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1281051231' post='477859']
Can we get a video of that beast?
[/quote]

Alright, here is a video of it working rather well.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rinH5RWees8"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=rinH5RWees8[/url]

was playing mgs4 in the background so just ignore the background noise lol.

[quote name='Hassouni' date='06 August 2010 - 01:26 AM' timestamp='1281083204' post='477932']
Ok, thats awesome!
[/quote]

Glad to hear that you like it.

I am having a little problem with the vase seals.

does anyone recommend anything?

[quote name='Hassouni' date='06 August 2010 - 08:16 AM' timestamp='1281107805' post='477970']
Wet paper towels or electrical tape will seal anything
[/quote]

very true. i just meant from a fabrication standpoint. i dont want to rig this thing together.

[quote name='Stuie' date='06 August 2010 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1281129049' post='477995']
Very nice. I have often wondered how to pull off a good multi chamber... and BAM! Looks sweet!
[/quote]

its really all about the choke point. you can still breathe through 100ft of tubing pretty easily. after making huge hookahs and small ones i realized that the choke point on a hookah for optimum smoke should be around 40mm^2 more of less is the butter zone. and alot more than that and you will just breathe through it with too much ease and the coal wont heat up which wont burn the shisha and then you will have no smoke.

however multi chamber designs are very easy to pull off. the only thing you have to worry about is sealing everything up. if its sealed then physics will take care of the rest.

also with more chambers and longer tubes that 40mm^2 needs to widen to around 45-50mm^2 to make the interference caused by the water negated.

its all about ease of smoke when i make hookah's, I dont like trying too hard.

That's a very cool hookah you have there.

For your sealing problem, It looks like you have used disk shapes rubber seals between the glass and inner tube. I think you would want your rubber seal to be a little taller, as in a longer contact area with the glass length wise.

I have thought about oiling the vase and stem then using silicon caulk to fill in the gap. The oil would allow you to remove the stem and vase from the silicon after it sets leaving a custom fit gasket. Keep in mind that I have never tried anything like this, so I could all go horribly wrong.

I like how your vases look like huge fuses.

[quote name='Skoozle' date='06 August 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1281131644' post='478001']

[/quote]
I agee With above . The design looks amazing good work .

[quote name='ezxen' date='06 August 2010 - 03:04 PM' timestamp='1281132291' post='478003']
[quote name='Skoozle' date='06 August 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1281131644' post='478001']
[/quote]
I agee With above . The design looks amazing good work .
[/quote]

thanks guys. i though about caulk but i was worries about the adhesion to the glass. ie not being able to seperate it after it set.

that was one of the thing i pondered. these rubber seals glued on dont last. i will have to do some testing with the adhesive properties. has anyone ever tried lining the vase with like saran swap that way it doesnt adhere to it?

[quote name='ntur' date='15 August 2010 - 03:18 PM' timestamp='1281910705' post='479036']
i like it, very nice job. you should totally post some smoking pics or a video for everyone here.
[/quote]

look up man

Well, bad news.

As it turns out, i dont have near enough money for my mechanical engineering books for school. and I have to get rid of this beauty.

Im sad to see her go, but schooling is more important than smoking.

If anyone is interested its on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290465390545

thanks for all of your help guys.

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure if I have any ideas to share, but I'd love to steal your last design... But only with permission, of course :P

The stem/tubing flowing from vase to vase, is that copper tubing? Hose? I can't really tell because I'm on a mobile phone.... Your design is so damn interesting though. Sexy!

Okay I'm pretty sure that's copper!

Also, the tall, thin glass pieces used as chambers, where can I find them?!

I am in love with this piece. I must make my own.

[quote name='Abajj' timestamp='1284020521' post='481691']
Okay I'm pretty sure that's copper!

Also, the tall, thin glass pieces used as chambers, where can I find them?!

I am in love with this piece. I must make my own.
[/quote]

yeah no problem. im here to share ideas with people.um those glas tubes were actually found at walmart. and yes its copper. about 20 ft of 1/4" and about 10ft of 3/8"s