Getting cheap coals.

This may be a really dumb question, but it's worth asking.  Would
it be bad for me if I were to use Kingsford charcoal for my
hookah?  I don't know if the coals you buy at tobacconists are
special or something.  I know it could be really dumb so I'm
asking just in case.  I havn't done it yet, and don't wanna try it
unless it's safe.

It's definately not safe. Hookah coals are made specially for hookahs. Kingsford charcoal contains chemicals that are fine for cooking with but not good for smoking. You won't be able to taste the shisha either.

very bad idea. the hookah coals are designed to be smoked with. you
would be ok using natural lump coal (i think), but the kingsford
briquettes are pressed and made with unnatural binders that are in no
way designed to be inhaled. You would probably live but might well lose
a couple iq points doing it.

stick with hookah coals! even natural charcoal, while it would probably
work, is not designed for that job and so comes in very large pieces,
plus it will be selected for getting hot and remaining hot, not for its
ability to heat without tasting like coal. if you cannot afford
anything but lump natural coal, i would suggest not smoking.

go to socialsmoke.com and pick up some coals, there decently priced and
if you type hookahforum in the coupon box during checkout you get 15%
off the order. hookahshisha.com has a similar deal but im not sure how
you get it, ive never ordered from them.

put the kingsford down man, i dont even use those for grilling, let alone smoking.

p.s. the question wasnt dumb, what would be dumb would be to try
something potentially dangerous without doing any research into it.

Actually, some lump charcoal for bbqing come in perectly sized chips. Or can be broken up like the natual bulk charcoal some folks here use. let me see if i can find a link...

I thought that mass produced BBQ charcoal like Kingsford gave off huge quantities of carbon monoxide, which = death. Either way, I wouldn't do it man.

Mush is right.... there are some coals out there that are marketed for cooking. They are chunks of actual tree that have been turned to charcoal. You can find these at gourmet grocers. Almost as tough to find as those as the ones  marketed for hookah use. I'd consult your local Yellow Pages
kingsford is usually made from the sawdust of evergreens. That for one doesnt sound tastey with your average fruity flavor.... For two, I imagine theres some sort of chemicals used to treat the stuff, perhaps as a binder for the briquet? That maight be the reasons for high CO given off.

As someone whos tried the lump charcoal, they will work and smoke fine, kingsford not so much, you can get the lumps at an ace hardware or a truevalue I think. They are much cheaper, but they are a giant pain in the a** to get lighted. But if your patient I'd say give them a try if your looking for somethin cheaper

I ran out of Nour fingers and I tried using BBQ charcoals "the wooden ones".  They are hard to light and even when I light them completely they leave an after taste.  They die quick too, so u have to keep pulling on the shisha to keep them alive.... Too much hastle ... Not fun ...

[quote name='gunsboy']I ran out of Nour fingers and I tried using BBQ charcoals "the wooden ones".  They are hard to light and even when I light them completely they leave an after taste.  They die quick too, so u have to keep pulling on the shisha to keep them alive.... Too much hastle ... Not fun ...[/quote]They need tro be lit all the way. My rule of thumb is that when they are yellow-hot and starting to devlop a dust of ash, they are lit. If they are orange-hot/black-red hot, they aren't lit, just hot.