Torn Between Single Vs. Multiple Hoses

Hi guys, new to the forum. So...here's my dilemma:

I'd like to buy a hookah, but I'm torn between a single hose and a double hose. I have parties at my place in which case a 2 hose sounds good but I also want to be able to have a good experience myself or with a friend, which is how it will be used 90% of the time. I've heard that multiple hose hookahs don't smoke as well as single-hoses, can anyone shed some light on this?

Do multiple-hose hookahs really not smoke as well as single-hoses? Is there any way around this?

If a hookah has auto-seal, does this make it smoke as well as a single-hose?

Should I get a single hose and get the necessary pieces to adapt it to 2-hose if need be?

I think the most I'd want to spend is $150 or so. I've been looking at the [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1769-mya-vortex-2-hose-hookah.html"]Mya Vortex 2-hose[/url] for $155 down to the Egyptian [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1769-mya-vortex-2-hose-hookah.html"]Pharoah[/url], [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-99-sphinx-2-hose-hookah.html"]Sphinx[/url], and [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-94-nile-2-hose-hookah.html"]Nile[/url], which go from $100 down to $65 or so. I've also been told I should avoid the really inexpensive and "econo" ones??

I think what I'm after is trying to get the best smoke possible while being able to use 2 hoses if I need to. HALP[img]http://rolltidebama.com/forum/images/smilies/smiley_panic.gif[/img]

I've got all single hose egyptians, so I can't tell you what its like to smoke out of a two hose or an autoseal hookah.

I can tell you that if you get a two hose hookah, you can remove one of the hoses and plug the unused hose port and it will smoke like a one hose hookah.

As for auto seal, I'm sure people will tell you that it restricts the draw, but then you can get non autoseal hose adapters for when you are not hosting a party.

I would like to have a two hose hookah for smoking with other people, or even one other person, because I really dont like waiting for the hose when someone else has it. Also changing hose tips is a minor inconvenience.

[quote name='Yasseah' date='14 July 2010 - 09:08 AM' timestamp='1279120101' post='475002']
Hi guys, new to the forum. So...here's my dilemma:

I'd like to buy a hookah, but I'm torn between a single hose and a double hose. I have parties at my place in which case a 2 hose sounds good but I also want to be able to have a good experience myself or with a friend, which is how it will be used 90% of the time. I've heard that multiple hose hookahs don't smoke as well as single-hoses, can anyone shed some light on this?

Do multiple-hose hookahs really not smoke as well as single-hoses? Is there any way around this?

Should I get a single hose and get the necessary pieces to adapt it to 2-hose if need be?

I think the most I'd want to spend is $150 or so. I've been looking at the [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1769-mya-vortex-2-hose-hookah.html"]Mya Vortex 2-hose[/url] for $155 down to the Egyptian [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-1769-mya-vortex-2-hose-hookah.html"]Pharoah[/url], [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-99-sphinx-2-hose-hookah.html"]Sphinx[/url], and [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-94-nile-2-hose-hookah.html"]Nile[/url], which go from $100 down to $65 or so. I've also been told I should avoid the really inexpensive and "econo" ones??

I think what I'm after is trying to get the best smoke possible while being able to use 2 hoses if I need to. HALP[img]http://rolltidebama.com/forum/images/smilies/smiley_panic.gif[/img]
[/quote]

The vortex was my first, and one of my favorite hookahs. It has excellent quality and a very smooth smoke : ) also it has valves to add more hoses as well defiantly would be my choice.

[quote name='hookah hippie' date='14 July 2010 - 10:10 AM' timestamp='1279127425' post='475018']
Single hoses are a better bet there is less room for error. There are more places for leaks and damage of multi hose hookahs. I have avoided buying one. If you are really worried, then get a MYA that you can convert
[/quote]

this, +1

[quote name='ryno' date='14 July 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1279125949' post='475014']
If you can't decide, get a Mya, you can change most of them from 1 to 4 hoses.
[/quote]

[quote name='Anxiety' date='14 July 2010 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1279127360' post='475017']The vortex was my first, and one of my favorite hookahs. It has excellent quality and a very smooth smoke : ) also it has valves to add more hoses as well defiantly would be my choice.
[/quote]

Coool. The Mya Vortex is calling my name, to be honest. The description of the [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-210-mya-vortex-1-hose-hookah.html"]1-hose Vortex[/url] on hookah-shisha.com says something about converting it to two hoses, but do you know for sure if it can also convert to 3 hoses?

Thanks

The only reason I liked my 2 hose is because you pass the hose less which = less chance for a drunk to knock something over. For me a single hose is better and more social.(smoke a little, pass, and talk rather than have someone chiefing with their own hose)

With the multihose hookah draw will always be affected because of the BB in there. I would much prefer getting a nice single hose and if you are going to go with hookah-shisha get an acrylic as well.

plus i enjoy passing the hose

[quote name='Yasseah' date='14 July 2010 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1279129749' post='475020']
[quote name='ryno' date='14 July 2010 - 09:45 AM' timestamp='1279125949' post='475014']
If you can't decide, get a Mya, you can change most of them from 1 to 4 hoses.
[/quote]

[quote name='Anxiety' date='14 July 2010 - 10:09 AM' timestamp='1279127360' post='475017']The vortex was my first, and one of my favorite hookahs. It has excellent quality and a very smooth smoke : ) also it has valves to add more hoses as well defiantly would be my choice.
[/quote]

Coool. The Mya Vortex is calling my name, to be honest. The description of the [url="http://www.hookah-shisha.com/p-210-mya-vortex-1-hose-hookah.html"]1-hose Vortex[/url] on hookah-shisha.com says something about converting it to two hoses, but do you know for sure if it can also convert to 3 hoses?

Thanks
[/quote]

yes, with the vortex it has 3 open slot's you can buy the hose adapters for about 9$ or so from H-S. The oblesik that I have I bought single hose, and bought 3 adapters so I can run 4 hoses when having alot of people over. Myas quality is excellent, and the vortex is just a great all around hookah : ) if you have any questions feel free to PM me I still have my first one :D

the mya vortex is one sexy hookah a friend of mine had one n it smoked like a beast one n two hose hookah both have their pro's n con's it really comes down to preference

[quote name='joytron' date='14 July 2010 - 05:16 PM' timestamp='1279145776' post='475053']
I would make sure to upgrade hoses those, they go to shit pretty quickly. Or at least just upgrade yours
[/quote]

Any hookah will smoke like a beast with a decent wide-gauge hose and a phunnel. :)
Grab yourself a Nammor.

[quote name='Yasseah' date='14 July 2010 - 09:08 AM' timestamp='1279120101' post='475002']
I've heard that multiple hose hookahs don't smoke as well as single-hoses, can anyone shed some light on this?
[/quote]

First off, understand there are two main types of multi-hose hookahs on the market right now: Egyptians (KM, Temsaah, etc.) and Modern (Mya, various chinese knockoffs). Generally speaking, only the Myas have the autoseal feature in the hose port. (This consists of a ball bearing sitting in the apex of the inverted cone-shaped port when at rest and becoming dislodged to allow smoke to pass when a pull is taken from that port. The bearing is kept from falling out with a screw placed just above the bearing allowing it to become dislodged but not fall out.)

The differences in how these two types of hookahs smoke is based largely on the type of hookah it is (Egyptian vs. Modern). In other words, aside from the hookahs with auto-seal ports, multi-hose pipes are generally going to smoke like their single-hose counterparts. From what I can tell, simply adding an additional port does not change the attributes of the hookah in general.

In regards to autoseal ports, they do restrict the draw slightly. But more important is the way they affect the how the hookah is smoked in general. Here's what I'm talking about:

With Egyptian pipes (and any other multi-hose stem without autoseal ports), anyone not actively smoking is required to plug their hose so whoever IS smoking can get a clean drag. Some people, including myself, think of this as a hassle - especially during long sessions. Additionally, if a person with a hose walks away, someone else is required to take over the plugging of the open hose. Like I said... hassle. The up-side is you are still able to purge by simply having one person unplug their hose while another person blows into their hose. If the multi-hose also includes a purge valve, it's an even easier process.

On the other hand, none of this is required with autoseal ports. As described above, when at rest, the bearing sits firmly lodged in the apex of the port allowing no air to pass through. This elimitates the need to plug hoses but also makes it impossible to purge. This is the deal-breaker to those who like to have the most control over their sessions.

[/quote]

Again, understand you're talking ONLY about Modern hookahs here. So if you're leaning in that direction, I think this is a good option. Hookahs of this type generally come with four threaded inlets around a bell collar that can be configured as the user sees fit. The Myas we sell that include this feature include a standard hose port, check valve, and two caps to plug the remaining inlets. If you decide on this option, next decide whether you want the ability to purge or not. If so, simply remove the retaining screw and bearing from each port. But remember, by disabling the autoseal functionality, you'll be required to manually plug each hose that is not being smoked. If you decide you keep the autoseal, you have the option of replacing the purge with a port (since it would be useless anyway).

I've also been told I should avoid the really inexpensive and "econo" ones??
[/quote]

Econo's are Myas only through name. When people talk about Mya's and how good they are, they're not talking about the econos. Stay away from them.

I have a 3 hose Syrian Chiller from H-S. 98% of the time, its single hose. When I have a bunch of ppl who are going to smoke, then I'll break out the extra 2 hoses. I keep rubber stoppers in the 2 unused ports for single hose mode.

Now, there is a MAJOR air restriction due to the autoseal on the ports, but I have remedied that. Since most of the time I use 1 hose, I bought an extra host port, and I drilled out the built in screen they made (there are 3 small holes that act as a screen so the BB stays put). Now I have a port that is completely unrestricted. I kept the original, in case I wanted the autoseal feature back when I go to multi-hose mode, but I never do. I just put my thumb over my hose when I'm not smoking. I prefer the unrestricted access no matter what.

So, its nice to have the option of going multi, but not necessary. it seemed like a great feature when I was shopping, but almost useless cept for very rare occasions.

[quote name='Barnaby' date='16 July 2010 - 07:31 AM' timestamp='1279287080' post='475305']
I have a 3 hose Syrian Chiller from H-S. 98% of the time, its single hose. When I have a bunch of ppl who are going to smoke, then I'll break out the extra 2 hoses. I keep rubber stoppers in the 2 unused ports for single hose mode.

Now, there is a MAJOR air restriction due to the autoseal on the ports, but I have remedied that. Since most of the time I use 1 hose, I bought an extra host port, and I drilled out the built in screen they made (there are 3 small holes that act as a screen so the BB stays put). Now I have a port that is completely unrestricted. I kept the original, in case I wanted the autoseal feature back when I go to multi-hose mode, but I never do. I just put my thumb over my hose when I'm not smoking. I prefer the unrestricted access no matter what.

So, its nice to have the option of going multi, but not necessary. it seemed like a great feature when I was shopping, but almost useless cept for very rare occasions.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the autoseal you're referring to is a different design than that of the Myas. I've smoked out of one like you're talking about and just about imploded my lungs. What's frustrating is there's absolutely nothing you can do to fix it aside from drilling out those stupid partitions.

I'll stick with my single hose. :)

[quote]
I'm pretty sure the autoseal you're referring to is a different design than that of the Myas. I've smoked out of one like you're talking about and just about imploded my lungs. What's frustrating is there's absolutely nothing you can do to fix it aside from drilling out those stupid partitions.

I'll stick with my single hose. :)
[/quote]

The airflow isn't that bad with the autoseal on the syrians. H-S just redesigned them as well to give more airflow. But really, drilling it out took all of 2 minutes, and is a major increase in performance for those with autoseal ports. I know it kinda defeats the purpose, but the autoseal feature was the least important one to me on my hookah.

I have single hose hookahs and multi hose hookahs. Recently i've been using my single hose hookahs when I have people over, but that's only if everyone knows how to be safe around a hookah, and not tip it. I do use my multi hose when i have people over who don't smoke often. But i prefer single hose hookahs

single hoses. for big parties i usually just end up busting out like 3 or 4 pipes that way we get some flavor variety and the head doesn't die in like 40 minutes. i only go the single hose route. but if the parties are that big, i usually just won't bust the hookah out and i'll save that for myself and the poor souls who help me clean up...it's a bit of a victory smoke :_sheesha2__by_Majunka_aurore: