Cigars

chinamon

[quote name='chinamon' date='06 August 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1281133268' post='478007']
[quote name='mustafabey' date='06 August 2010 - 03:18 AM' timestamp='1281061097' post='477880']
Redneck humidor tupperware container w/new damp paper towel every day kept in the fridge
[/quote]

apparently 20C is the ideal temperature to store cigars.
[/quote]

[size="5"][b]20 degrees Celsius = 68 degrees Fahrenheit

[/b][/size][size="2"]For those of us in the US.[/size]

You don't go by temp for cigars, you go by the % of humidity. So that actually reads 20% humidity. I spent two years working in a cigar shop. I have a nice collection vintage cigars from cuba to include a 1985 Davidoff #2, and some El Rey Del Mundo Pantela largas from 1983. I find for CC you need to keep them about 68% because they do better on the drier side. typically 68-74 is ideal. Because of their tight roll keep them slightly drier. I hope you cured the humidor before hand. If you didn't here is a quick way to do it. Buy some distilled water. Take everything out of the humidor, pour the distilled water in the box until about an inch is cover. Close the lid and shake. Open and see if every part of the cedar is wet. If so, dump the water out. Let it sit closed until it is dry, usually takes a 12 hours. Then add you humidification system and hygrometer, allow to sit for another 12 hours and makes sure your % is right. Then add everything back in. Only use distilled water or humidor solution in you humidification system. Good luck and enjoy. Edited by Allstar

ah, hope you didn't overpay on your humidor. http://www.cheaphumidors.com is the place to go. Mine was $94, and has everything you'd hope for from a humidor. All cedar inside, glass inlaid top, polished cherry, 120 cigar capacity. You can't beat this place.

Humidors are a bit of a waste nowadays; several companies have gone to individual packaging, often airtight in nature. Several of the acid series, maker's mark, etc, don't even need to be stored in humidors. you have a few that aren't airtight tho, so grats on your waterbox. Very cool selection, congrats.

I loved the following:

Montecristo: #2, #5 (nice, small smoke), Petit Tubos (same as Monte #4, but sold in an aluminum tube)
Cohiba: Robusto, Siglo VI
Partagas: Series D #4
Romeo y Julieta: Churchill

Cohibas seem to the most expensive, and unfortunately I encounter too many problems with them for the price. They tend to be packed extremely tight & can have some seriously frustrating draw problems. Out of all the Cohibas I've smoked, I've settled on the two listed above (along with any Limitadas you can find...they had a great Piramide for 2006...one of the best I've had).

Montecristo seems to be the most reliable for me. I love the taste, the prices are somewhat more reasonable and they don't have too many draw problems.

congrats on your purchase. I just bought a digital hygrometer on Saturday, it should be little more accurate than the one i have now.

I personally like montecristos and romeo and julieta far more than cohibas. Thanks for the updates!

had my first cuban cigar last week, buddy brought home 20 of them that his uncle gave him when he was in cyprus. Needless to say he only made it home with 4 cause the others were found in customs.

[quote name='A13lackFish' date='17 August 2010 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1282078236' post='479319']
had my first cuban cigar last week, buddy brought home 20 of them that his uncle gave him when he was in cyprus. Needless to say he only made it home with 4 cause the others were found in customs.
[/quote]

And i am sure that the customs officers took charge of the said contraband stogies and shipped them to the Federal Contraband Cigar Incinerator.

[quote name='mustafabey' timestamp='1282085639' post='479333']
[quote name='A13lackFish' date='17 August 2010 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1282078236' post='479319']
[/quote]

And i am sure that the customs officers took charge of the said contraband stogies and shipped them to the Federal Contraband Cigar Incinerator.
[/quote]

lol, can you imagine all the stuff they pocket and bring home. They probably went out back together and smoked their faces off later that day.