Cigars

chinamon

[mush, if this is in the wrong forum please move to the appropriate one]

i know nothing about cigars. ive probably had less than 20 puffs in my life but i am looking for some info because i know some of you are cigar afficionados.

my parents are going to cuba for a week at the end of the month. i know boxes of cigars are quite a bit cheaper there than buying them here in canada. i know of cohiba, montecristo and romeo y julieta. can a good box of cigars from one of these manufacturers be purchased for $80? which ones are good? i know cigars are also named by number or something? what would you guys recommend if i could only get one box?

Churchill smoked Romeo y Julieta, the model that is now called, as it turns out...Churchill

I'm not a cigar smoker per se, but Romeo y Julieta is my favorite, Montecristo is good too, though RyJ tends to be a bit smoother. I've had Cohiba cigarillos which are nice. The RyJ Petite Churchills or Short Churchills (I forget) is a good starter cigar, as is Montecristo no. 4, considered the most popular cigar in the world.

Lucky you're in Canada, I only smoke overseas. Every non-Cuban cigar I've had has sucked

If you want any of those brands, they can be had anytime; they're all made in the Dominican Republic I believe. If they're going to Cuba, you might as well do it right. My favorite cigar is the Maker's Mark Silver, which is made in the U.S. as far as I know. it's got the signature waxing on the lid, but it's silver instead of red. when you crack it open, it smells amazing, like a rich, fruity tobacco. it tastes nothing like that, and every single one i've gotten has been very well constructed (no difficulty with pulling, but packed well enough for a slow burn).

Acid makes good ones too.

Also, The Churchill is not specific to that company. It's a cigar type. You can get the "churchill" in other brands. That just deals with its dimensions, etc. Edited by rahl071

They're all dirt cheap there. You won't be picking up boxes for $80, they'll be lower. With the three brands you listed, I doubt you'd find much better in terms of a traditional cuban cigar. I'd go for Cohiba myself. I still have 1 left from my honeymoon. They are pretty tasty. But to be fair, since I got my hookah, I have not smoked cigars again. I probably have like 6 or so in my humidor, and I don't know if I'll ever fire them up.

Even when I was smoking cigars more frequently, I smoked Drew Estate's mostly. The Acid line (blue) label is my favorite. This line is flavored with spices/oils, and they are EXTREMELY tasty. I'd rather smoke those than a cuban any day of the week. Dominican Republic cigars are almost on par with cubans.

But, back on topic, score some cohibas. They do not disappoint.
  • Upvote 1

There are many factors involved in selecting a cigar besides brand. Size can refer to ring size(diameter) and to individual cigars, like churchills(wide and long) ,robustos(wide and short) to lonsdales(long and thin) and many many others. There is the wrapper, natural ,maduro, candela basically light brown,almost black an d greenish. Brands have following like shisha does. But if someone where going to Cuba for me a box of Cohiba Churchill would be my choice. Cuban tobacco is the best,something in the soil, kind of like wine.( Ive never had a california pinot nior that could touch a Bugundian grand cru). Anyway, Castro smoked Cohibas, thats as good as an endorsement as you can get. Large cigars have more character, so a Churchill or double corona is the way to go. You won't be disappointed cause you'll be smoking one of the best cigars in the world.

I would stick with Cohibas but I heard they're not as cheap as many people think if you bought it from Cuba. Unless they know where to go because they rip off tourists like crazy. They should negotiate like crazy when they get there

my mom is going on a tour package thingy where they take them to like 3 cities in cuba. one of the trips will include a visit to a cigar factory so i hope its either cohiba, montecristo or romeo y julieta. i gave her a list.

cohiba: especiales or esplendido
montecristo: especial or no.1
romeo y julieta: churchill

she said she will only bring one box back for me so i hope she visits one of these factories. the tour company said buying directly from the factory is quite a bit cheaper than buying from a store in the city.

i guess we'll see what happens.....

thanks for the info, guys!

I might be coming to Toronto next month and trust me I will be buying and smoking alot of cuban cigars while I'm there. Tell your mom to bring more cubans, I'll buy them off of her lol

I favor Padron cigars myself, but Cohibas, Romeo y Julietas, Drew Estate (specifically Javas and Acids), and Montecristos are up there on my list as well. Pretty much anything Cuban or Dominican is a safe bet though, in my experience. My friends and I bought and smoked some Cubans while we were in Mexico, great stuff.

[quote name='Cp44' date='13 July 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1279027838' post='474877']
I might be coming to Toronto next month and trust me I will be buying and smoking alot of cuban cigars while I'm there. Tell your mom to bring more cubans, I'll buy them off of her lol
[/quote]

she only wants to smuggle one box. i think shes scared. lol

how long will you be in toronto for? plan on doing any partying?

The sad thing is that when Rush Limbaugh,Harry Reid,Dick Cheney,Nancy Pelosi, Barack Obama. Steve Jobs, Arnie Schwartznegger sit down and smoke a cigar its bound to be a fine Cubano. The embargo is only for us little and insignificant people.

[quote name='chinamon' date='17 July 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1279386331' post='475405']
[quote name='Cp44' date='13 July 2010 - 02:30 PM' timestamp='1279027838' post='474877']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Im staying for a couple of days maybe over the weekend. Its part 2 of my bachelor's party and yes we are going to party like its 1999.

[quote name='Cp44' date='19 July 2010 - 03:20 PM' timestamp='1279549232' post='475572']
[quote name='chinamon' date='17 July 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1279386331' post='475405']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Im staying for a couple of days maybe over the weekend. Its part 2 of my bachelor's party and yes we are going to party like its 1999.
[/quote]

well, let me know if you want to check out one of the clubs i work at (thursdays @ cobra, fridays @ this is london, saturdays @ guvernment).

Had a Cohiba today. Friend went to the Bahamas and picked some up in Bimini. Sharks everywhere, no thanks.

Cigar was fantastic, very smooth. Honestly though, the cuban methods have long been used in the Dominican and Honduras by now so you can find smokes from those two that are pretty close.

Still have a Partagas left and I will savor that sucker, you better believe it.

• 2 weeks later...
so this is what my mom brought back for me...

3 x cohiba: siglo III
1 x cohiba: robustos
1 x romeo y julieta: #2
1 x punch: churchill
1 x h. upmann: coronas major
1x guantanamera: cristales
2 x jose piedra: vuelta arriba
1 x partagas: petit coronas
1 box of 25 montecristo: puritos

[img]http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4621/mg0193.jpg[/img]

i think im going to buy a humidor like this over the weekend [url]http://www.smokincigar.com/shop/product.php?productid=2666&cat=3&page=1[/url]
any suggestions or comments regarding this type of humidor? will it do the job fine? or do i need to spend more money (i hope i dont have to)?

get a Michael Dixon humidor. His humidors are made from good cedar wood, sealed properly and his warranty is very good. I have one at home.

Nice collection of stogies! Humidors are a complex subject. Its more than just the box, its the way your measure (hygrometer) and maintain your humidity(70% if I recall my cigar smoking days). Cheap humidifiers don,t hold humidity for long and require constant care. There are now digital hygrometers and sophisticated methods of humidity maintanence available. If you are going to become a serious cigar smoker, you'll want a good humidor. A cheap is fine to start and if you get serious purchase a new hygrometer. Here is some info from Wikipedia regarding humdifiers.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidor"]Humidors[/url]

[quote name='mustafabey' date='05 August 2010 - 04:46 PM' timestamp='1281023214' post='477817']
Nice collection of stogies! Humidors are a complex subject. Its more than just the box, its the way your measure (hygrometer) and maintain your humidity(70% if I recall my cigar smoking days). Cheap humidifiers don,t hold humidity for long and require constant care. There are now digital hygrometers and sophisticated methods of humidity maintanence available. If you are going to become a serious cigar smoker, you'll want a good humidor. A cheap is fine to start and if you get serious purchase a new hygrometer. Here is some info from Wikipedia regarding humdifiers.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidor"]Humidors[/url]
[/quote]

i will never become a serious cigar smoker because i cant stand the smell or taste of them.
but a few of these cigars are considered to be quite good so i would like a cheap little humidor so i can keep them around for a while and give them the respect that they deserve.

I found my Michael Dixon humidor with 20 cigars on craigslist for $120. Its was in an amazing condition the retail price was over $400. If your not going to keep cigars in the humidor long then buy a cheap one.

Redneck humidor tupperware container w/new damp paper towel every day kept in the fridge

[quote name='mustafabey' date='06 August 2010 - 03:18 AM' timestamp='1281061097' post='477880']
Redneck humidor tupperware container w/new damp paper towel every day kept in the fridge
[/quote]

apparently 20C is the ideal temperature to store cigars.