My Backwards Phunnel Hole Pattern Method

[quote name='indian_villager' date='30 June 2010 - 12:15 PM' timestamp='1277918148' post='473424']
As far as the cig smell goes, would anyone with an MNH screen like to chime in about this
?
[/quote]

I have one and used in the past and I never noticed a cig smell in the base.

I'm actually going to try this method of the foil with the single hole. The problem with the glass screen that I had it is that it wasn't completely flat so coal placement was difficult (they wanted to slide) This method will give me a flat and bigger surface to play with it. I can't wait.

tgis works very well if you get the setup right.
i tried it with mizo a few time the first time it was not to good but after a while it worked extremely well good clods and an excellent flavour

If you're having trouble getting big clouds, try putting the windcover on to get it started. I've been putting a pair of chopsticks on the tray, then setting the windcover over that. It gives you some extra heat, but holds the windcover up a little. Tones it down just a bit to keep things from burning.

Gave this method a try with lucid (on a small bowl) and it smokes great for a half hour or so, but then starts changing flavors. Ive noticed that when i take the bowl off, the juices are just oozing out like mad - and it was VERY underpacked by tangiers standards.

This is a GREAT AWESOME Nakhla method. Would be perfect for a Mizo or even some of their premium smokes, but i wouldnt recommend it for Tangiers. IMO. Mabey someone had a better experience than I did.

Tangiers--I like it for some flavors not for others--seems the "burning" molasses is a distinct part of the tangiers taste
Nak OG--love it for OG nak ,but still rock the traditional egyptian bowls alot more often for this one
Nak mizo--simply amazing for mizo
AF--also amazing on AF--only way I smoke AF now
desi Murli--This is the only way to smoke desi murli freking awsome
Ayam Zaman--only tried it once with AZ but it worked very well

Also My standard pattern for this has gone to 3 mya poker holes in a triangle pattern over the spire...and very dense slight overpack for all the tobacco's and 3-4 coco's depending on what brand

I tried this with my Mini and some AF, smoke was nice for some time but got harsh! then i noticed all the cocos had moved into the middle and the foil was going black, gonna try make a stronger flatter foil seal and see if this fixes it! Smoke was good while it lasted though! how many cocos should i put on my mini while doing this method?

1 big hole in middle or lots of small ones for af?

Is it just me, or does this seem kinda extreme. I mean, do you really get that much of a difference over a normal pack/hole method? I mean, shit, 3-4 cocos on a mini? That's ALOT of coals for something that should probably be taking 2 coals. Is this that much better that you are doubling your coal costs?

2applespls actually works for coconaras and this is a ploy to get us to buy more of his product. :774_smiley_getting_kicked_in_th

Just playin bro, this is just a new way to try packing. This uses the same concept as those old MNH glass screens (if anyone remembers those). Where ya would put the coal on the glass screen, that just had a large whole placed right above the phunnel.

[img]http://mnhookahs.com/images/IMG_2351.JPG[/img]

This worked great, but i was always so worried about the damn glass breaking. Might pull these out and give htem a try again.

Always try new stuff, but ultimately do what ya want. You are right tho, it is alot of coal.

• 11 months later...
*Necro thread*

Used this method on my micro phunnel with 2 coals and didn't get anything for like 15 mins, then got weak clouds and I felt stupid. Then I took the coals off and thought I'd go the normal way of poking holes, but since there was a big hole in the center, I decided to only poke 1 circle of holes going around the very edge of the bowl.

While doing that, I couldn't get the thumbtack through the foil where I had placed the coals, which tells me that the baccy under the coals was absolutely scorched!! Throwing it away now and gonna pack a bowl the normal way *sigh*.

Bad way to break in my new QT. :(

• 2 months later...
[quote name='atalanta' timestamp='1315541129' post='523132']
*Double Necro Thread*

I read and everyone tried this with phunnel bowls, Anyone try this with a "standard" bowl? Anyone still trying this?
[/quote]
I don't think this would even be possible with a "standard" bowl. He said the point of it was to make it so no ash fell in the shisha... but there's not a spot on a "standard" bowl that has no shisha so it would be kinda hard to do this.
BUT, maybe you could poke it in the middle... However, I dont see that working to well. No airflow.

[quote name='atalanta' timestamp='1315541129' post='523132']
*Double Necro Thread*

I read and everyone tried this with phunnel bowls, Anyone try this with a "standard" bowl? Anyone still trying this?
[/quote]

It can work on a phunnel because the entire airflow is from the center when you use one. With a standard egyptian bowl, you need a lot of holes for airflow.

The only way it would work would be to pack it high and pack it tight around the edges of an egyptian, emulating a tangiers superchief bowl. This would leave the phunnel like appearance of the tobacco, whilst leaving the center holes of the bowl completely open to airflow.