My Backwards Phunnel Hole Pattern Method

[quote name='liquidglass' date='30 June 2010 - 01:51 AM' timestamp='1277880699' post='473383']

Now back to two apples suggestion of the metal tube over the top. Honestly this would work much better than just direct holes. Because the air is being drawn down and solely joins the vaporized materials rather than coal remnants.
[/quote]

I found a simple and pretty easy sollution to try this takes me like 2 minn ( no more time then a normal setup there are no holes to punch at all)...

Instead of going out the top from the bowl ,I'm gonna do a foil tube out one side of the bowl from underneath the foil..Takes a little more foil but not that much more....first wrapped a bic pen with a bit of foil to make the tube...then it just goes under the foil...done......only you should off center the slighty larger piece ofl foil to the tube side so you can get a good wrap on it.....Pulls in about 95% air in from the tube the other 5% is coming in from the wrap around the tube wich is still pretty far away from the coals....LOL this is gonna be funny I'm gonna try this in about an hour with some nakhla ,I got the day off today and this is just too funny..I'll take pics haha

Ohh and about the cig smell---I did notice a smell like that in the top part of my stem and not in my base...I'm thinking its from pulling in more coal ash into the stem and into the base.(its not getting trapped by tobacco)...Don't think the amount of CO2 is really changable unless you isolate the inflow of intake air away from the coals alltogether and the cigg smell should go away if you can keep the coal ash out(my stem and base water has been dirtier then normal so far with this)...Well thats what I'm thinking....

haha this is pretty funny---Took a bit to get going ( no way to get a windcover on)--I smoked nak mint--actually smoked OK once it got going ,the taste was noticably sweeter and kinda cool knowing I was getting virtually no air off the coals....I'm deff gonna play around with this one..it was pretty easy to set up...gonna have to try a lower heat tobacco like AF or tang too see how that works with it, or gonna try to rig a windshild to get more heat,I can't see using more then 4 coals---I did use my usual 2 layers of reg foil so next time I'm gonna try just one,but pretty intresting results with it....Pretty fun too play around with new idea's

[quote name='Chaz1337' date='29 June 2010 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1277877191' post='473374']
Smoke Pics from my Bowl of Mizo Guava-Melon! Bowl lasted 2 hours and only got harsh near the end.
[/quote]

looks like you packed the bowl pretty loose, is that what you do to get the best results from this method?

[quote name='twoapplesplease' date='30 June 2010 - 01:05 PM' timestamp='1277917510' post='473421']
haha this is pretty funny---Took a bit to get going ( no way to get a windcover on)--I smoked nak mint--actually smoked OK once it got going ,the taste was noticably sweeter and kinda cool knowing I was getting virtually no air off the coals....I'm deff gonna play around with this one..it was pretty easy to set up...gonna have to try a lower heat tobacco like AF or tang too see how that works with it, or gonna try to rig a windshild to get more heat,I can't see using more then 4 coals---I did use my usual 2 layers of reg foil so next time I'm gonna try just one,but pretty intresting results with it....Pretty fun too play around with new idea's
[/quote]

How did you keep the straw thing from collapsing?

Actually that straw thing was pretty solid, try making one by wrapping a bic pen with some foil and after you wrap it up you "twist it" while its still on the pen, like your giving some one the old "snake bite" on the arm

I have tried the one big hole over the middle of my alien bowl and there was lots of clouds and an enhanced flavour. I did let the windcover sit over the coals for a little while to get it going. It took about 3-5 minutes for the clouds to really pour out.

I also tried it with five big holes over the middle+ windcover for 1-2 minutes and the clouds poured out faster. Both times, I smoked Mizo Nak.

I am a fan of the 5 hole method when it comes to Nak. I will try this with both OG Tang, and Lucid. Edited by thatonethere

I did this tonight with a small phunnel bowl and nakhla margarita. The smoke was decent, but I won't say it was amazing. The flavor did last a very long time though. I'll give it a try again soon on a few other varieties of nakhla to compare. It's a hell of a lot easier to get prepared than my usual hole method.

I tried it with Tang Noir and Lucid, and I'm a fan. I have exclusively used this method to get more milage from my bowls. Before, one bowl would last for about 1-2 hrs. Now, I can smoke the same bowl and NOT lose flavour 2x, meaning I can smoke for a couple of hrs one day, and a couple of hrs the next day.

[quote name='INCUBUSRATM' date='05 July 2010 - 08:12 AM' timestamp='1278335561' post='474014']
*sigh*

I'm going to have to try it again... It didn't work very well for me last time. Smoke had a weird... twang?... to it...
[/quote]

I'm thinking operator error on this one...lol j/k Chris

Call me crazy but for the last year or so I've just been using my large mya bowl with a windcover and a single coco. I get great flavor and smoke while conserving coals and money. you guys have fun with this method but me, I'm back to basics.

okay, so after trying this method 5 times with the single big hole (start small with each sessions and gradually increase the hole size with a MYA poker until i achieve a good easy draw that pulls good smoke) I've definitely noticed a cleaner and stronger flavor, but i just can't get these huge clouds you keep talking about! I've smoked AF the whole time (only thing i can get my hands on besides herbal) and it's just not working for the huge smoke. I was getting better smoke with a normal phunnel method, or even a standard mya bowl, i dunno why it just won't work for me... any suggestions?

[quote name='ilikemyusername' date='06 July 2010 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1278370069' post='474053']
Call me crazy but for the last year or so I've just been using my large mya bowl with a windcover and a single coco. I get great flavor and smoke while conserving coals and money. you guys have fun with this method but me, I'm back to basics.
[/quote]

When i first started, i was using a small egyptian bowl (max 20g of shisha) and a single quicklight and it was the best clouds i have ever had to date.

[quote name='lilwoggy' date='09 July 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1278665016' post='474515']
okay, so after trying this method 5 times with the single big hole (start small with each sessions and gradually increase the hole size with a MYA poker until i achieve a good easy draw that pulls good smoke) I've definitely noticed a cleaner and stronger flavor, but i just can't get these huge clouds you keep talking about! I've smoked AF the whole time (only thing i can get my hands on besides herbal) and it's just not working for the huge smoke. I was getting better smoke with a normal phunnel method, or even a standard mya bowl, i dunno why it just won't work for me... any suggestions?
[/quote]

I have been trying this method with mizo and reg. nakhla and it works really well. On a bowl, the first session usually get me regular clouds but it's only when I am using a necro bowl that I get the big clouds. I guess that in my case the solid first layer that the first session creates then works as a better heat transmitter. I don't have any real clue though

on the issue in try to get "cleaner" air to bypass any chemicals that my be being brought into the base by the coals, wouldn't putting something like [url="http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/4237972/2/istockphoto_4237972-funnel.jpg"]this[/url] into the single poked hole foil method work better and more efficiently than that straw method?

[quote name='Hassouni' date='09 July 2010 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1278690138' post='474534']
Yep.

Where to get a metal funnel though...
[/quote]

[url="%20http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cuisinox-1.5-Spice-Funnel/11925808"]here[/url] walmart ftw

[quote name='sbraid' date='09 July 2010 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1278690830' post='474535']
[quote name='Hassouni' date='09 July 2010 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1278690138' post='474534']
Yep.

Where to get a metal funnel though...
[/quote]

[url="%20http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cuisinox-1.5-Spice-Funnel/11925808"]clicky[/url] walmart ftw
[/quote]

I finally get to try this out tomorrow. So what is the best setup so far?

I've got an Alien and a Mini to work with and I might have both going at once.

Thanks for pushing the edge of hookah technology guys.

I leave for a few months and you guys are poking holes in the middle?!?! Okay I have just about seen it all now ;) haha!!

I am going to have to pack my alien with this method next bowl of the day, need to restock on coco's first. I am all about more cloudage with less ash.

[quote name='matias' date='09 July 2010 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1278674396' post='474521']
[quote name='lilwoggy' date='09 July 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1278665016' post='474515']
[/quote]

I have been trying this method with mizo and reg. nakhla and it works really well. On a bowl, the first session usually get me regular clouds but it's only when I am using a necro bowl that I get the big clouds. I guess that in my case the solid first layer that the first session creates then works as a better heat transmitter. I don't have any real clue though
[/quote]

Got the chance to try this with Nak Double Apple tonight, same story as before, good flavour but no massive clouds :(
I'm using a small phunnel (i broke my alien mini yesterday :'( ) with three coco's and tightly packed tobacco. just isn't getting the smoke.....