My Backwards Phunnel Hole Pattern Method

[quote name='Hassouni' date='28 June 2010 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1277752227' post='473146']
3 worked fine, as did a random assortment of holes
[/quote]

a random assortment as in the large hole in the middle with pinholes around it?

[quote name='kyleSD' date='28 June 2010 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1277752893' post='473150']
[quote name='Hassouni' date='28 June 2010 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1277752227' post='473146']
3 worked fine, as did a random assortment of holes
[/quote]

a random assortment as in the large hole in the middle with pinholes around it?
[/quote]

I made a bunch of pinholes and tried breathing through, it seemed resistant, so I just enlarged one of the holes. I don't think it makes a huge difference. It does, as twoapples said, take 5-10 minutes to really get going though...

I tried with AF and really tons of really tiny pin holes and it started smoking right away with great flavor but after a time the AF bubbled up a bit and clogged a few pin holes.....So with really juicy tobacco I'm ruling out the pin holes.....I just had to poke a mya poker size hole dead center and it was smoking good agin........I think Thumb tack size holes maybee is worth a shot and maybee like 3-4 mya poker holes dead center....AF really made some bomber clouds with this and actually tasted pretty good...Also first time I had AF really work in a phunnel

Wondering if this method is gonna matter on what shisha you use. Did the thumbtack holes and was getting flavor but super light clouds. At 10.5 min. in I made a bigger hole in the middle. Still kept getting flavor but with the light clouds. At 17.2 min. in I decided to use my normal pin holes around the bowl. Still great flavor but instant huge clouds with the pin holes like normal. So It has me wondering if the brand matters.

[quote name='ih303' date='28 June 2010 - 08:48 AM' timestamp='1277732912' post='473111']
Can someone explain to me WHY this works?

If you're pulling in air from the center of the bowl right down the center of the phunnel, where/how is the smoke being generated?
[/quote]

The radiant heat is enough to heat the tobacco itself. It isn't necessary for it to be exposed to a flame

Nakhla double apple 6 holes over the funnel, two ch qls 10 mins smoking like a champ. less moving of the coals required.you guys are the best.
Ray

It's been awhile since I smoked Golden AF grape (first smoke from a new pack) but it was remarkably good. Never any charred taste

How often do you have to flip the coals for this to work? Without all the holes underneath the coals, I'd think they'd burn out in a couple of minutes, and you'd have to constantly flip coals.

I may have to try this on my small phunnel to see how it goes. Wondering how this works for Tangiers, since more holes seems to make Tangiers happier..

I didnt flip the coals at all. I had a bowl going for about 90 minutes, and I had to add a second coal after maybe an hour but that was it

[quote name='Hassouni' date='29 June 2010 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1277820410' post='473249']
I didnt flip the coals at all. I had a bowl going for about 90 minutes, and I had to add a second coal after maybe an hour but that was it
[/quote]

Are you using coco's and a wind tunnel?

Tried this with about 15 tiny holes directly over the phunnel hole starting with four coals with Nak Ask Apple... Threw on windcover to get it going faster. 5 minutes in it got a bit harsh so took off the windcover. Then the four coals got a bit harsh as it warmed up about 15 minutes in, so went down to three coals. Smoke is good, and flavor is good. Definitely a good method. Don't know how the coals keep going because you're not sucking air from underneath them, but it definitely works. Huge props to Justin. I'm going to try this with Tang Static tonight and see how it goes.

I had a very different experience when I tried this last night. I loaded a small phunnel of NK Sweet Melon and Strawberry, poked a hole in the middle with a ball-point pen, threw four CCN's on there, and windcovered it.

... time passing ...

After about ten minutes, I started feeling silly. More and more I thought about how this method defy's logic. On top of that, while I was getting smoke, the clouds were nothing like what you guys are describing here. And the smoke I was getting had an even stronger CO taste than normal. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or what, but the results I got made much more sense than the results you guys are getting.

I mean, think about it. Normally, you pull the heated air through the tobacco. (lol... I just fat-fingered the word "tomacco". Some of you will get that.) This allows for maximum penetration of heated air and maximum contact resulting in maximum flavor. With the single hole method, the only tobacco exposed to the heated air is the stuff right in the middle. There also might be some smoke being generated by the tobacco heating up, but I think it'd have the tendancy to taste burnt.

Anyway, given this method requires an extra coal and 10min warmup time, at this point I think I'll just stick with my two rings. :)

Tried this with Tonic Donut- 3 Full CCN's and Windcover for a small phunnel. Sure enough almost nothing for 10 minutes then Bam! Chopper Signaling Clouds and a rich flavor the whole time! I went with the Single large hole in the middle. Also I noticed that the Cocos never got dark on one side and burned equally on all sides regardless of their orientation on the bowl. I wish we could get Eric's scientific explanation on how this works, but it definately does!

[quote name='Barnaby' date='29 June 2010 - 10:12 AM' timestamp='1277820735' post='473251']
[quote name='Hassouni' date='29 June 2010 - 10:06 AM' timestamp='1277820410' post='473249']
[/quote]

Are you using coco's and a wind tunnel?
[/quote]

Three Cocos and a super ghetto windcover aka foil wrapped around the bowl and pinched closed over the coals...did that for the first 5 mins or so until it got harsh, removed it, then it started smoking great

[quote name='ih303' date='29 June 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1277823023' post='473256']

I mean, think about it. Normally, you pull the heated air through the tobacco. (lol... I just fat-fingered the word "tomacco". Some of you will get that.) This allows for maximum penetration of heated air and maximum contact resulting in maximum flavor. [i][b]With the single hole method, the only tobacco exposed to the heated air is the stuff right in the middle. [/b][/i]There also might be some smoke being generated by the tobacco heating up, but I think it'd have the tendancy to taste burnt.

[/quote]

Not so in my case, when I took the foil off to clean up, all the tobacco had the cooked look, not just the stuff near the middle

[quote name='ih303' date='29 June 2010 - 10:50 AM' timestamp='1277823023' post='473256']

Anyway, given this method requires an extra coal and 10min warmup time, at this point I think I'll just stick with my two rings. :)

[/quote]

For me I used the same number of coals...maybe it's different for Al-Fakher?

I'll be trying this tonight with the Tang Static Lucid on Tinychat at around midnight central, maybe a little sooner. Feel free to join in. I will prove that it works, showing what I'm doing, step-by-step.