My Backwards Phunnel Hole Pattern Method

I had this Idea to only poke a few holes directly over the middle spire of a phunnel bowl last night....The concept idea was that the smoke would have to go only where the airflow was and to keep all ash out of the tobacco and to keep all moisture within the bowl and prevent any bubble over and burnt molasses on the coals(gives a chared like taste)....turns out it worked verywell...first time i used a alien and it worked stellar...I used a mya poker and made 6 holes in a star pattern one dead center(heres a photo of that)...the smoke was super clean tasting and had great smoke cloudage and seemed like you got less CO2 cause your not pulling air directly under the coals...downside is it takes a bit longer to get going but the flavor IMO is worth it in the end

small phunnel test-in next post
  • Upvote 2

I'm smoking a small with Nak DA right now with this method only slightly modified...I'm using just one hole dead center...I started with a mya poker and made a small hole the tested by blwing/pulling from the bottom of the bowl and making the hole a little bigger untill I thought it was the right amount of airflow(free but a littlest amount of restriction.....I use 4 coco's with a small....It took a little longer like 10 minn to get really rolling on the small(useing a wind cover the whole time also)....but once it did it is smoking very very well......I think a mini phunnel is the best option with this method because of the extra heating time...though still worth it in the end IMO the flavor is super clean and flavorfull.....I think the one bigger hole dead center will be the prefered hole pattern with this method with a mini phunnel....I highly recomend trying this you will not be dissapointed....getting bodacious clouds and flavor 30 minn into the small phunnel with this method

[quote name='twoapplesplease' date='26 June 2010 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1277604246' post='472988']
I'm smoking a small with Nak DA right now with this method only slightly modified...I'm using just one hole dead center...I started with a mya poker and made a small hole the tested by blwing/pulling from the bottom of the bowl and making the hole a little bigger untill I thought it was the right amount of airflow(free but a littlest amount of restriction.....I use 4 coco's with a small....It took a little longer like 10 minn to get really rolling on the small(useing a wind cover the whole time also)....but once it did it is smoking very very well......I think a mini phunnel is the best option with this method because of the extra heating time...though still worth it in the end IMO the flavor is super clean and flavorfull.....I think the one bigger hole dead center will be the prefered hole pattern with this method with a mini phunnel....I highly recomend trying this you will not be dissapointed....getting bodacious clouds and flavor 30 minn into the small phunnel with this method
[/quote]

it sounds like a good idea and it makes a lot of sense but i'm just not crazy about waiting 30 minutes (i have a small phunnel) for good smoke. could increase the amount of shisha youre able to re use without the top being burnt from direct contact.

It starts smoking OK in about 5 minn then in 10 its going well but in 30 its awsome....with a mini it heats up much faster...IMO the clean flavor is worth the bit of wait....its really smooth and flavorfull with even less coal taste.....I use coco's and I can tell the difference...Like going fromm QL's to nat's all over agin...its that much of a cleaner taste

Yeah I'll be using this pretty much with the alien only...and the one hole instead of the 5-6 smaller ones....the small worked well but the extra heat up time was a drawback......next run on the mini with the one larger hole should have awsome results...only slight heat up time...IMO worth it in flavor

I've done that before and had good solid results. As far as experimental bowl ideas........

A friend of mine recently tried something new with a large Egyptian bowl. She said she put a lump of tobacco into the center of a flat piece of foil and then wrapped it up like a little bundle. Then she poked holes in both top and bottom of the little package and dropped it into a regular Egyptian. Then she placed the coals around the package. She said it worked very well and evenly heated up the entire package of shisha, but I haven't tried it yet. Something about it sounds to me like epic fail, but I may try it one of these day.

'Rani

I can attest to the 5-6 holes working on the alien and I would say it was about 10 minutes 2apples without the windcover to get going for me, about 15 for the nice huge clouds. I still have yet to try the combo pattern, small holes and one bigger one, but I just got up 3 in the morn..lol.. So I'm gonna eat and then give it a shot and tell you how it went. Serious ppl it may take a little longer to heat the shisha but this way is super legit. You the man Apples.

This seems like it works similar to the idea of the glass screen. Heating the tobacco without direct contact with the coals, and a single point of air entry in the center. The only difference would be inferior heat distribution since the foil doesn't heat like the glass does. But I suppose that 4 coals on a smaller bowl would remedy that.

I'll definitely give this a try sometime soon. Looks like it would be interesting to experiment with it.

Ok 2apples and I was talking about doing this experiment. He was going to use the 1 large hole while I was gonna use a bunch of pin holes and 1 bigger center hole. So I'm In no way trying to thread Jack apples. We agreed on my reporting how my session went.
So here it goes. Smoking Mizo Grape, Alien Mini Phunnel, 3 Coco's with a wind cover.
First 2 minutes was getting light clouds and great flavor. 3 minutes In smoke got a lil harsh so I removed wind cover and purged. Windcover now gone smoke and flavor was great. 4 minutes in my wife and I were getting clouds like in the pic. Session lasted an hour with great smooth flavor entire time.

[attachment=4961:DSC00322.JPG]

[attachment=4962:DSC00007.JPG]

Cool NiteTimeReign.........I need to try only a bunch of only pin holes with this soon.....Also I had a Idea about a mod...that would pull in cooler air away from the coals...So you'll get a even cooler smoke with even less coal taste and CO2....Shouldnt affect smoke amount at all..only make it cleaner and cooler.......basically it would be a metal straw going directly up from the single hole above the main spire...Think I'll work some Idea's on this and see what I can come up with and give it a try...I made a little paint pic to show what I was thinking on the mod...

NiteTimeReign--looks like you coulda packed a wee bit more in that bowl....But Looks great sounds like it smoked well...nice doomsday cloud

Sorry about the rough pics. I was just using my lil outdated sony ericsson phone..heheh and yeah 2apples I kinda rushed packing the bowl because I got all caught up in the hole pattern. I also forgot to mention in above post that we had a ceiling fan going while getting those clouds. We had some very nice you can't see me clouds going. We took several pics of my wife and myself since the clouds were just booming..lol But the main thing even over the clouds was that the flavor stayed nice and smooth, no burning the shisha just to get big clouds. It was about flavor, the clouds are just icing on the cake.

I think it might be possible on a normal egyptian style bowl as long as the center hole lines up with the one in the bowl and you can visably see threw it......

HAHAHA that metal straw Idea was a bit dumb it was late and my brainstorming wwas out in left feild......Think I came up with a much easier and simpiler mod to do basically the same think with basically no effort...I'll give it a try and if it works I'll share....

trying it right now with the mini and some mizo with the one larger hole method....smoking really nice very clean taste... I think this really works well with the mini and mizo its smoking fantastic....super clean taste its unmistakably an improvement of flavor

Can someone explain to me WHY this works?

If you're pulling in air from the center of the bowl right down the center of the phunnel, where/how is the smoke being generated?

worked great!

SML Phunnel, Starbuzz White Grape, 4 Coals, took roughly 10-12 minutes to begin getting heavy clouds

[quote name='ih303' date='28 June 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1277732912' post='473111']
Can someone explain to me WHY this works?

If you're pulling in air from the center of the bowl right down the center of the phunnel, where/how is the smoke being generated?
[/quote]

I'm sure it has to do with the vacuum generated by sucking....Essentially, when you draw, you're pulling heat into the tobacco, generating smoke/vapor/whatever we officially call it, then further drawing pulls that down the tube

Can someone try this with a regular bowl?

so you have to use 4 coals for this method? is the increased flavor a trade off for using an extra coal? and which method is best for a small phunnel?